Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: HD making an investment and Profits!  (Read 3744 times)

Porschestan

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Softail Convertible

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: HD making an investment and Profits!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 01:53:36 PM »

Thanks for posting, Stan.    :2vrolijk_21:    Here is the AP take:  Stripped-down Harley rebounds from recession

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Porschestan

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Softail Convertible
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 05:05:51 PM »

Yep!

BUCKNUT GREG

• BUCKNUT
  • 1K CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 06:17:23 PM »

Did any one catch this:The company will unveil the first model to come from its new design process at its summer dealer meeting. Wandell wouldn't give details but said he thought it would show the company made the right decisions.

Very interesting for sure ...  ;)

johnsachs

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 06:51:23 PM »

Maybeeeeeee water cooling. They been working and testing some.  :nixweiss:
John

ridefar

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 04:22:43 PM »

A very well placed source(not the pool boy) but a gentleman that is operating what may be the longest running dealership, has said the last couple years that H-D R&D has been running a punched out V-Rod based dresser with good success. The question is will they have the balls to build it? Just don't make the proper noise don't ya know!

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 03:27:57 PM »

Imho, a 2000 cc version of the VRod motor, with 120+ hp/tq would be a huge hit. While I would risk being first in line, especially after watching the 110 fiasco and how they handled that, but once they got it ironed out, I'd never look back.  Imho, sooner or later, they are going to have to do it.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 04:04:19 PM »

Imho, a 2000 cc version of the VRod motor, with 120+ hp/tq would be a huge hit. While I would risk being first in line, especially after watching the 110 fiasco and how they handled that, but once they got it ironed out, I'd never look back.  Imho, sooner or later, they are going to have to do it.

I'm still waiting for them to "iron out" the Twin Cam problems that have persisted, as well as the new ones they seem to invent almost every year in their ongoing "cheapening" programs. 

While a shift to water cooling makes sense for improved durability, they will definitely have to phase it in gradually.  If they were to just drop the air cooled engines and substitute a bigger V-Rod engine in all the Touring bikes at one time, they'd probably lose over half their sales the first year.  It's still the old school crowd buying most of the Harley's being purchased every year.  I'd probably propose a single model within the Touring line if I were the one doing the planning.  That way if it bombs I'd still have a chance of hanging on to my job.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 04:27:47 PM »

I think they've got the 110's at least as zipped up as they can, but you're right, it would be a huge mistake to do a cold turkey cut-over, especially with their history.

I think the best route would be to make a special version of the SEUC as the test mule on a limited run, say a few hundred to 1,000 units max. Give those early adopters carte-blanch, with extended warranties and free loaners, in the event things go south. I'd rather see that, then them try this on a larger scale where they can't afford to keep the peasants happy. This way, with a controlled limited scale launch, they can keep close tabs and quickly react to the normal bugs and get them ironed out. Imho, this would be a big step, and with a little caution, could help them competitively in a big way going forward.

ridefar

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 11:06:27 AM »

You guys are correct, of course. I was thinking they bring out a liquid cooled Ultra Limited and give folks a choice, new or "traditional". Maybe even have a pre-order system so they have a number to work with in terms of how many to build. Make mine metallic silver with some subtle ruby red striping.

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 11:56:12 AM »

As a follow up, I had a discussion with a MOCO rep and I brought up the water-cooled patent, and the "wink" I got suggests 2014 is the year, and it will be a limited run on the Ultra.  He wouldn't say if it will be a CVO or not, but it's coming.

As we all know, this is just a water cooled head configuration on an otherwise standard V-Twin. Also, the radiator(s) are housed in the lower fairings. While this should help, I just can't help to wonder about lower leg comfort?  I doubt they are going to retune the motor with higher compression or anything to leverage the water-cooling.

Still, Imho, the ultimate route is to develop a 2000+ cc version of the Revolution motor with 125+hp, with the radiator in the more traditional location.  I'm thinking this 2014 design is simply a cheap testing opportunity to see how the market embraces liquid V-Twin Harley's before making the commitment to invest the amount of money necessary to make a new ground up liquid motor.

My .02 fwiw.

Harley Guy

• Elite CVO Member
  • RIDE ON ...............
    • OH

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Ultra Classic.... Ruby - sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO Limited........... Dirty Blonde
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 12:44:42 PM »

I have an 09 SEUC with 50,000 miles - a hot mother to ride in the summer heat.

Waiting for a water cooled engine, but only after letting others "test" it before I "buy" it.

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2013, 10:30:02 AM »

As a follow up, I had a discussion with a MOCO rep and I brought up the water-cooled patent, and the "wink" I got suggests 2014 is the year, and it will be a limited run on the Ultra.  He wouldn't say if it will be a CVO or not, but it's coming.

As we all know, this is just a water cooled head configuration on an otherwise standard V-Twin. Also, the radiator(s) are housed in the lower fairings. While this should help, I just can't help to wonder about lower leg comfort?  I doubt they are going to retune the motor with higher compression or anything to leverage the water-cooling.

Still, Imho, the ultimate route is to develop a 2000+ cc version of the Revolution motor with 125+hp, with the radiator in the more traditional location.  I'm thinking this 2014 design is simply a cheap testing opportunity to see how the market embraces liquid V-Twin Harley's before making the commitment to invest the amount of money necessary to make a new ground up liquid motor.

My .02 fwiw.

The V-Rod Muscle makes 125 HP stock... with only 1249 CCs. Just imagine what a 2000 CC version of the liquid-cooled Revolution engine could make!

I would certainly be interested in a Touring bike with that engine... no matter WHAT it sounded like!

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2013, 10:37:40 AM »

The V-Rod Muscle makes 125 HP stock... with only 1249 CCs. Just imagine what a 2000 CC version of the liquid-cooled Revolution engine could make!

I would certainly be interested in a Touring bike with that engine... no matter WHAT it sounded like!

Ken

I've been saying that for a few years, A touring bike with a V-rod 4 cylinder would be awesome.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2013, 12:54:09 PM »

I've been saying that for a few years, A touring bike with a V-rod 4 cylinder would be awesome.

I wouldn't be surprised!!!! I guess we will know tomorrow!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 25 queries.