Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Extended Warranty Sell Back  (Read 1221 times)

GasRat

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Extended Warranty Sell Back
« on: September 11, 2006, 10:16:58 PM »

Has anyone sold back there extended warranty, & if so how did they pro rate it for you. I sold back mine on a bike that was stolen. It was only 3 months into the extended warranty with no claims and I'm being told that I will only get back about 63% of the purchase price. This just seems like a pretty heavy hit for so early in the warranty. Just curious on other cases & opinions.
Better to remain quiet and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

CVOHarley Member #2390

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: Extended Warranty Sell Back
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 10:51:29 PM »

I am waiting to hear on mine, its been about 3 weeks since I filed the paper work. I'll let you know.

GasRat

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 10:59:19 PM »

That would be great. It took about a month to get mine. I've got to go to the Dealer tomorrow so I plan on checking into it further with them. By the way, I put the lights on the other night & have to admit they look AWESOME! Sat down made a few minor adjustments on placement, took my time soldering & heat shrinking all connections & took about 4 hours............But 4 hours well worth it. Thanks.  By the way, I may have a few people looking for lights in the near future.
Better to remain quiet and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

CVOHarley Member #2390

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 11:08:04 PM »

That would be great. It took about a month to get mine. I've got to go to the Dealer tomorrow so I plan on checking into it further with them. By the way, [highlight]I put the lights on the other night & have to admit they look AWESOME! [/highlight]Sat down made a few minor adjustments on placement, took my time soldering & heat shrinking all connections & took about 4 hours............But 4 hours well worth it. Thanks.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 02:12:17 PM »

I finally got my refund on the warranty. They prorated it over 84 months, I had it for 22 months so they gave mine back 74% of the purchase price. The thing that bothers me on this is that they say that the warranty coverage starts on the date of purchase, not as an extension of the 2 year factory warranty. I asked what happens when I make a claim during the first two years, their answer was that the factory warranty covers it. I then asked how they can prorate the warranty during that period when they are not providing coverage for that period of time. Their answer was that its in the contract that the coverage starts on the purchase date. It sucks that they sell you a warranty that starts on the purchase date that does not provide coverage untill after the factory warranty expires. >:(

On a good note I have almost a grand to spend on more chrome. 8-)

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2006, 08:37:56 PM »

I finally got my refund on the warranty. They prorated it over 84 months, I had it for 22 months so they gave mine back 74% of the purchase price. The thing that bothers me on this is that they say that the warranty coverage starts on the date of purchase, not as an extension of the 2 year factory warranty. I asked what happens when I make a claim during the first two years, their answer was that the factory warranty covers it. I then asked how they can prorate the warranty during that period when they are not providing coverage for that period of time. Their answer was that its in the contract that the coverage starts on the purchase date. It sucks that they sell you a warranty that starts on the purchase date that does not provide coverage untill after the factory warranty expires. >:(

On a good note I have almost a grand to spend on more chrome. 8-)

How much extended warranty did you buy (years)? I am in the same boat and purchased 2 extra years. I have had the bike for 12 1/2 months and I am going to sell it outright as the dealer won't give but MAYBE $16,000 on trade on an MSRP SEUC. I don't remember what the warranty cost initially and cannot find my papers at the moment. I am going tomorrow or Friday to sign the paper at the dealer to cancel it.

Thanks!!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 08:40:45 PM by Robmay »

GasRat

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2006, 08:49:08 PM »

Thats not bad. I'm going to have to talk to them about mine.because I was only 27 months into mine and only got about 62% back [smiley=wall.gif] [smiley=wall.gif]. But I was also told, & I'm not sure if its true, that even in the first two years you have extra coverage from the extended warranty available to you such as towing and hotel reimbersment which is why they pro rate it from the purchase date.

CVOHarley Member #2390

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2006, 09:15:16 PM »

Thats not bad. I'm going to have to talk to them about mine.because I was only 27 months into mine and only got about 62% back [smiley=wall.gif] [smiley=wall.gif]. But I was also told, & I'm not sure if its true, that even in the first two years you have extra coverage from the extended warranty available to you such as towing and hotel reimbersment which is why they pro rate it from the purchase date.
that coverage is in fact in effect from the day you buy the extended warranty

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2006, 10:08:21 PM »

I actually got a phone call from someone somewhere about two weeks after sending the document in to cancel the extended warranty.  The person explained that the reimbursement would be pro-rated and was not the full refund the selling dealer had told me to expect and notated on the form.

At that point, and even with all the changes done to the red bike, I decided to keep it.  Total cost was somewhere around $1100.00.  In another five years maybe I'll lose a fuel pump or an instrument or two or blow seals on calipers or master cylinders or front suspension.  Throw in a road service or two in five more years time and it still might come out.  What the hell, it's all just a crap shoot anyway.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2006, 11:24:51 PM »

How much extended warranty did you buy (years)? I am in the same boat and purchased 2 extra years. I have had the bike for 12 1/2 months and I am going to sell it outright as the dealer won't give but MAYBE $16,000 on trade on an MSRP SEUC. I don't remember what the warranty cost initially and cannot find my papers at the moment. I am going tomorrow or Friday to sign the paper at the dealer to cancel it.

Thanks!!

I had the 7 year plan, (5 year extension). When you go in you'll lneed your paln number. Its on the card the dealer gave you when you purchased the plan.

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2006, 05:39:31 PM »

Thanks!! I'm finally getting to go tomorrow.

hogheritage04

• Senior CVO Member
  • It's not the destination, but rather the journey
    • CA

• CVO1: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2006, 03:37:45 PM »

I had an '04 Heritage, and bought the 5 year extended warranty.  I sold my Heritage this year in May, and sold the extended warranty back.  It was only 1 month into the additional 5 years and I got back about 67%.  Kind of costly, but at least I got a major portion of it back.  They get you coming and going [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 25 queries.