Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Cam chain tensioners  (Read 8576 times)

Jessee

• Junior CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2005 Electraglide FLHTCSE2 Cherry
Re: Cam chain tensioners
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2013, 03:20:29 AM »

Bear Tracks...I own a 05 SEEG (cherry) with 103 but now I am back on my sportster because I am in the process of tearing my engine apart right now due to a cam tensioner that all of a sudden it broke and sending debris through out my engine. Also found out during dismantling of the engine that my primary chain tensioner is worn out as well (added to parts list). Is your cam gear drive loud or have a whine to them, I'm thinking of going that route that way be rid of tensioners and chain, but still in the air.
Jessee

cherryseeg2

• Vendor
  • Full CVO Member
  • J&B Performance Cycles
    • TN

• CVO1: 2003 Deuce traded for CVO 2
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2013, 04:07:32 AM »

Bear Tracks...I own a 05 SEEG (cherry) with 103 but now I am back on my sportster because I am in the process of tearing my engine apart right now due to a cam tensioner that all of a sudden it broke and sending debris through out my engine. Also found out during dismantling of the engine that my primary chain tensioner is worn out as well (added to parts list). Is your cam gear drive loud or have a whine to them, I'm thinking of going that route that way be rid of tensioners and chain, but still in the air.

With the back lash set and crank run out in spec gear drive will be dead silent and you will never have to worry about tensioners again.
2005 SEEG2 J&B Performance 120 -163/144

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2013, 06:33:00 AM »

..................as long as the flywheels don't slip on the crank pin.
When they do with a gear drive set-up, that turns into a genuine mess.
Scott

Jessee

• Junior CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2005 Electraglide FLHTCSE2 Cherry
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2013, 01:38:30 AM »

Gear set sounds like what I will be looking into getting. Are they all the same or different and in switching to the gear set is it also gear driven behind the cam plate as well...replacing the chain and tensioner that connects both the cams? I'm not for sure what exact direction I am going to end up with my engine as yet. I know I want torque and power but also for it to be dependable because I drive it alot. I would like to have it cammed out better but not for sure with which one, it has SE 251 cams, jims 1820 Hydroshock II lifters and jims adjustable pushrods right now. I haven't gotten any further in the engine as yet to see if other components are stock or upgraded...pistons, heads, springs...it's all exciting. Have a GR-8 Day :)
Jessee

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2013, 12:04:22 PM »

I have the S&S gear drives in mine, there is no whine... I also always had starting issues when it was hot and recently threw in a set of easy start cams, no issues anymore!

If you're keeping the bike it's worth the extra $$$ for the piece of mind.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 12:06:22 PM by murphy »

DJA

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2013, 07:32:15 PM »

Like everyone is saying.....Gear Drive!!!! I have done this on both my bikes.
DJ

bear tracks

• Follow The Sun

• CVO1: 2004 Screamin Eagle Electra-Glide
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2013, 02:14:54 PM »

Sorry to take so long responding.  I can't hear anything that I would attribute to the cam gears.  Both Harleys I've owned made some mechanical noise under hard acceleration and at highway cruising speeds, but I wouldn't call it unpleasant.  I should also mention that I'm running Rhinehart true duals and they make their own contribution to the chorus.  All said, I like the trouble-free nature of the cam gear set-up.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 26 queries.