Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: TURN SIGNAL PROBLEM - ELECTRICAL HELP!!!  (Read 957 times)

jau flyer

TURN SIGNAL PROBLEM - ELECTRICAL HELP!!!
« on: August 06, 2013, 08:53:40 PM »

Hey All......

I have a 2005 Screamin Eagle Electraglide. My problem is with my left front turn signal. The bulb, in general, appears to be not as bright as the right side. Looking at it closely, the filament does not appear to be completely illuminated. By that i mean if you look at the length of light on the filament compared to the right side bulb, it may be about 75% - 80% lit.

When i activate the turn signal, it starts out as a "normal" flash for about 2 or 3 blinks, then goes into a "rapid" blink. the bulb is not as bright as the right front or as the left rear signal. i have changed the bulbs a couple times, but the same result. i even removed the bulb and it does the same thing.

A mechanic friend of mine thinks it may be a ground problem since there is light, but just not enough.He said like a bad ground or something to the effect the housing is the ground for these lights and it could be there or in the wiring back underneath the fairing.

So those of you who are electrical savvy can you give me some ideas on where to start looking and testing to eliminate sources of problems....

thanks in advance...

'flyer

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: TURN SIGNAL PROBLEM - ELECTRICAL HELP!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 09:34:10 PM »

Pull the housing apart.  Those housings were bad about getting water and muck up behind the socket.  It would go in where the harness enters the housing then couldn't escape.  Can get surprisingly muddy/mucky back there.  Can ruin the sockets (at worst) or (if you're lucky) just allow a slight bit of conductivity between the poles and cause problems akin to what you're describing.

If you do find a problem (and even if you don't) it's a good idea to dab some silicone on the housing around where the harness enters.  Just to keep the moisture out from behind the bulb and socket where it can't escape.

BakedInMN

• Junior CVO Member
    • MN

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
    • CVO2: 2014 FXSBSE
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 11:22:28 PM »

I'm having the same issue with my Dyna. Haven't done any trouble shooting on it but that give a great starting point. :bananarock: I was going to start with the module. Your way is more likely the culprit.

Thanks!
My current stable:
1972 FLH Shovelhead
2003 FXSD 100th Anniversary Blue
2013 FLHTCUSE8 Typhoon Maroon
2014 FXSBSE Molten Cobalt

dlg

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 01:40:29 AM »

Get an ohm meter and check on the bulb housing ground to the chassis or battery, has to be zero "0".  Sounds like you are getting ground from the power side.  Also measure from ground to power and it should be 12.7 volts or more with the engine running.

David

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 21 queries.