Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: new clutch  (Read 1766 times)

Chief2505

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Ultra Tribal Orange (sold 2020)
    • CVO2: 2016 CVO Limited two tone silver
new clutch
« on: August 19, 2013, 03:58:01 PM »

I have a question. This pertains to my 08 Ultra Anniversary. It is not a CVO but figured I could still get some help here.

The clutch lever felt funny like it was not engaging soon enough so I stopped at an Indy and they adjusted the clutch. The next day I roll on the throttle hard in 5th gear at about 60 and the clutch is slipping terrible! I cannot notice any slippage in the lower gears even when I hit the throttle hard.

I called the Indy that adjusted the clutch and he says yup you need a new clutch! That is how they start before they fail. The bike only has 45,000 miles on it and I have never had to replace a clutch in any of my Harleys before.

Is this common? What should this cost to replace? Is it possible they went too far with the adjustment and perhaps adjusting it back might help this?

Thanks for helping out a mechanically challenged rider!

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
Re: new clutch
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 04:02:28 PM »

I have a question. This pertains to my 08 Ultra Anniversary. It is not a CVO but figured I could still get some help here.

The clutch lever felt funny like it was not engaging soon enough so I stopped at an Indy and they adjusted the clutch. The next day I roll on the throttle hard in 5th gear at about 60 and the clutch is slipping terrible! I cannot notice any slippage in the lower gears even when I hit the throttle hard.

I called the Indy that adjusted the clutch and he says yup you need a new clutch! That is how they start before they fail. The bike only has 45,000 miles on it and I have never had to replace a clutch in any of my Harleys before.

Is this common? What should this cost to replace? Is it possible they went too far with the adjustment and perhaps adjusting it back might help this?

Thanks for helping out a mechanically challenged rider!

Clutch plates are probably worn out.

I'd just put in a new extra plate clutch kit from Energy One or Barnett. About $200.

Unless there's something wrong with the clutch hub itself... I'd ask him to EXPLAIN.

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

Chief2505

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 04:05:25 PM »

Thanks for the quick reply Ken.

Is that $200 for all of the parts plus a couple hours of labor? And I am guessing 2 hours but maybe it isn't that hard?

North Georgia Hawg

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 04:10:03 PM »

Thanks for the quick reply Ken.

Is that $200 for all of the parts plus a couple hours of labor? And I am guessing 2 hours but maybe it isn't that hard?

If it's only the plates, then yes. Two hours is plenty of labor time. Gotta pull the primary cover to get the outer clutch hub off. The stock plates pull right out and the new plates go right in. Soak 'em in primary fluid first.

I run the Energy One extra plate kit. It replaces ALL plates inside the clutch. I think the Barnett kit uses the stock Harley spacer ring... the innermost little ring inside the clutch.

Ken

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
The Wizard's Tune

Chief2505

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 04:42:03 PM »

As long as I am asking questions and you are giving such great information.......I was going to have them check the cam chain tensioners when they do the oil service as well. At 45,000 miles should I just have them replace them?

If so...what kind of cost should I expect for that repair? i would probably put HD tensioners back in since I have not had any trouble with them.

Thanks again!

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 09:41:08 AM »

If it's only the plates, then yes. Two hours is plenty of labor time. Gotta pull the primary cover to get the outer clutch hub off. The stock plates pull right out and the new plates go right in. Soak 'em in primary fluid first.

I run the Energy One extra plate kit. It replaces ALL plates inside the clutch. I think the Barnett kit uses the stock Harley spacer ring... the innermost little ring inside the clutch.

Ken
Ken, don't mean to hijack the thread but have a question relating to clutch for you.  When I had the motor replaced in my '07 at 80k I had them replace clutch plates as they were worn.  Dealer suggested the Screamin' Eagle plate set which I got.  Did not know at the time but it also replaces ALL plates including the spacer ring.  I noticed that with this clutch there is precious little 'friction zone.'  It engages very quickly and I even stalled the motor a couple times at first.  Also have spun the rear wheel a couple times taking off in uphill incline and giving a little too much power.  Now I'm getting used to the clutch and liking it but is the elimination of the spacer ring what causes this difference?

Jerry

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

North Georgia Hawg

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 04:12:50 PM »

As long as I am asking questions and you are giving such great information.......I was going to have them check the cam chain tensioners when they do the oil service as well. At 45,000 miles should I just have them replace them?

If so...what kind of cost should I expect for that repair? i would probably put HD tensioners back in since I have not had any trouble with them.

Thanks again!

If they are going to pull the whole cam chest to check the tensioners, I would have them just install new ones. The labor should be 3 hours or so.

Ken

The Wizard's Tune

North Georgia Hawg

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 04:20:19 PM »

Ken, don't mean to hijack the thread but have a question relating to clutch for you.  When I had the motor replaced in my '07 at 80k I had them replace clutch plates as they were worn.  Dealer suggested the Screamin' Eagle plate set which I got.  Did not know at the time but it also replaces ALL plates including the spacer ring.  I noticed that with this clutch there is precious little 'friction zone.'  It engages very quickly and I even stalled the motor a couple times at first.  Also have spun the rear wheel a couple times taking off in uphill incline and giving a little too much power.  Now I'm getting used to the clutch and liking it but is the elimination of the spacer ring what causes this difference?

Jerry

I don't know. The Barnett and Energy One kits have an extra plate in them, and the increased grab surface probably grabs a little differently than stock... and more securely. I really don't remember if the Energy One changed my friction zone or not. They have different approaches... The Energy One kit has all of its own plates, while the Barnett kit continues to use the inner spacer ring. I have no idea why.

I don't know if the SE kit contains an extra plate, or whether the 9 plates are just thicker than stock. I haven't really looked at it.

This really doesn't answer your question, does it?  :nixweiss:

Ken

The Wizard's Tune

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 11:19:23 AM »

I don't know. The Barnett and Energy One kits have an extra plate in them, and the increased grab surface probably grabs a little differently than stock... and more securely. I really don't remember if the Energy One changed my friction zone or not. They have different approaches... The Energy One kit has all of its own plates, while the Barnett kit continues to use the inner spacer ring. I have no idea why.

I don't know if the SE kit contains an extra plate, or whether the 9 plates are just thicker than stock. I haven't really looked at it.

This really doesn't answer your question, does it?  :nixweiss:

Ken
Tech said the SE clutch had an additional plate.  With several 000 miles on it now either it is getting more 'user friendly' or I am getting used to / better.  But when starting from a dead stop especially two up I have to consciously ease the clutch out more slowly than I did previously or with my '12.  Not a huge problem but definitely different feel.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 11:30:52 AM »

I have similar set up to Ken's.  My personal feelings are to replace any part that needs to be replaced with a non OEM part.  I try not to reward the MOCO for making so many inferior components.  I'm starting to think and talk like Jerry & I think that's a darn good thing.  Come to think of Jerry has made a significant impact to many owners opinion on purchasing a new HD & or using the MOCO's parts if you have a choice.  I wish he was wrong as I wanted to get a new bike but when I wrote down the Pro's & Con's it got lopsided real quick.  Don't have the time and money to do it all over again.   

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 12:45:08 PM »

I have similar set up to Ken's.  My personal feelings are to replace any part that needs to be replaced with a non OEM part.  I try not to reward the MOCO for making so many inferior components.  I'm starting to think and talk like Jerry & I think that's a darn good thing.  Come to think of Jerry has made a significant impact to many owners opinion on purchasing a new HD & or using the MOCO's parts if you have a choice.  I wish he was wrong as I wanted to get a new bike but when I wrote down the Pro's & Con's it got lopsided real quick.  Don't have the time and money to do it all over again.   
You're not alone a lot of us are feeling that same way. :2vrolijk_21:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

North Georgia Hawg

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 01:01:51 PM »

The Honey Badger has so many non-Harley parts in it, that it's kind of only HALF a Harley anymore anyway. Runs great, though!

And when (not if...) this 110" engine goes - I will put in an S&S 124, a Baker or Rivera clutch, and a Baker DD7 tranny when IT goes! And probably the Drago's IDS chain drive too, so I won't have to worry about breaking a belt...  ;D

Ken

The Wizard's Tune

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 25 queries.