Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Replacing swingarm bushings (with pictures)  (Read 1851 times)

Fireguy

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road glide. Traded
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited Sold
Replacing swingarm bushings (with pictures)
« on: August 26, 2013, 01:00:56 PM »

I have a 2009 CVO bagger with 20,000+ miles. Took it for a ride and felt a little wobble while in a high speed turn. Wondering if anyone has replaced the bushings, front and back on there bike yet or is the new frame not an issue. Thought about getting a stabilizer brace but thinking I should replace the bushings first. Also what is a good way to check if they need to be replaced?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 09:31:23 PM by Fireguy »

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
Re: Replacing swingarm bushings
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 10:43:12 AM »

I had a similar experience.  Bike ran fine even when driven hard in going in & out of corners.  Under warranty the dealer had to replace my damaged wheel, tire, rotors etc.  They tried to go beyond by replacing a motor mount and installed new swingarm bushings.  I rode the bike home and noticed a slight wobble coming from the rear.  It took me some time but I finally found the swingarm bushings were not even tightened.  I torqued them to the factory recommendations and the problem disappeared.  Get a service manual for the correct procedure for removing, inspecting and installing them.  Or pay someone that you trust that will get the job done correctly.   If it ran fine and the wobble just started I would not recommend a brace at this time.  Get it back to the condition it should be & then you can look at braces.  I have one but I have the 08 frame.  Did you make any changes to your suspension or lower your bike by any chance?   

Fireguy

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

Re: Replacing swingarm bushings (with pictures)
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 09:41:13 PM »

The swingarm nut on the left side is centered and appears to be correct.

Fireguy

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 09:43:15 PM »

But the nut on the right side is pushed back to the rear of the bike. Should this be centered as well?
The picture is upside down. Sorry.

Fireguy

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 10:18:04 PM »

The bike is stock height. Progressive suspension shocks front and back.

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 10:45:18 AM »

I'm not really sure on the nut placement but I suspect that they should be equal.  Can you take the tire off and check the swingarm for play?  Is this the first time it wobbled or is it the first time you pushed it hard enough in the corners to get the wobble?  Did you check the nuts for the proper torque setting?  Did you have a tire replaced recently?  There has to be a simple reason for your wobble but the fix may not be that simple.  Mine was, I just got lucky.  I do most of my adjustments with the wheel off the ground.   You may want to Goggle Harley Swingarm bushings, tons of info and video's.  Good luck and make sure you let us know what you find.

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 21 queries.