Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Check your breather bolts  (Read 1143 times)

Dr. Evil

• The Great Pumpkin
  • Elite CVO Member
  • BooFrickityHoo.

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Pumpkin
Check your breather bolts
« on: August 23, 2004, 10:48:10 PM »

Apparently.... due to vibration... my breather bolts (SE A/C kit) backed themselves out this weekend.  Was riding (speedo pinned at 120 for about 3 minutes)... quite hard all afternoon on Sunday.  Came home to find out oil had seeped out and the bolts were quite loose.  Guess I was at the exact vibration frequency to do this.  Anyone else have this prob?  Thanks. [smiley=beerchug.gif]

TB

• Full CVO Member
  • Name: TB
Re: Check your breather bolts
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2004, 11:48:55 AM »

Yup, I have to snug them up at each oil change/service interval.  I actually had one back out to the point that the head of the breather bolt was hitting the backside of the aircleaner backing plate bracket.  

Remember that you can't get on them with too much torque.  They are hollow bolts and snap off at the head very easily.  Use the factory spec. torque from the manual and keep an eye on them. [smiley=shocked2.gif]  I've been thinking about drilling the heads and safety wiring them to the bracket.  Giver' the old NASCAR look!! [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
TB
2008 FLHX, 103 Big Bore, SE Air Cleaner and re-map, Klock Werk windshield.
2005 Assembled - Grim Reap'r -100ci RevTech, Prowler frame.
1993 Sportster - Steam Roll'r - 1200cc, 200 front tire, Paucho springer.
more photos at:  www.nccycle.com

syclone

• Full CVO Member
  • IF YA CANT AFFORD TO BREAK IT-- DONT RIDE IT
Re: Check your breather bolts
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2004, 03:02:14 PM »

Clean the threads with some brake cleaner.....use some brake cleaner on some Q-tips to
clean the tapped threads in the heads (you dont want to go blowing brake cleaner into the motor)  use some blue locktite and install.....wont come loose.
Just my opinon......I could be wrong

'05 SEEG  114"  all bore motor

04 night train 95" 10.5:1 KBs,ported and decked heads, tw55g cams,rollers,3.37,44cv
01 Dyna,95" ported SE heads,wood t

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 25 queries.