Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Ran out of fuel yesterday.  (Read 5424 times)

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
Re: Ran out of fuel yesterday.
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2013, 06:03:32 AM »

Funny that; old habits I guess.  Have filled based solely on miles traveled for so many years couldn't do it any other way even if I wanted to.  Before that with some small peanut tanks and bikes without much instrumentation had two methods, keep track of time and/or unscrew the cap and look down the hole when you think it might be time.  Only once did I ever lose a cap while moving....  ???

Use miles traveled for fill up on bikes since I can remember.  Bikes I have had with gauges usually just used them as a 'suggestion' to fill up.  Always use the trip meter & figure fill ups from that.  Have ridden into very strong headwinds & gas mileage drops much more than usual as a result so still consider the gauge then since it is there & is slightly more accurate that the inner fairing temp gauge, but not by much.

The "count down" mileage feature is a handy way to find out in a remote rural area you are about to be stranded unless you are near a gas station.  It allows time to plan for how long you think your walk will be or guess the liklihood of somebody picking you up being an ax murderer.  Have not run out of gas in quite a few years now, & then I called my BSR since that bike was fairly new & I thought "maybe this gauge is accurate since it is new".  It wasn't.

Have not removed the cap when riding in even more years.  Do recall when tank was more full than expected getting an unexpected gas bath.  Caps are a biatch to find when dropped sometimes...l
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Snapperkid

• Full CVO Member
Re: Ran out of fuel yesterday.
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2013, 06:37:09 PM »

Dealer finally called me at 5:30 Saturday said bike was done. 10 days. Pick it up tomorrow.
2015 Road Glide Special
2014 Honda Goldwing (When moma rides!)
2013 Breakout CVO (Bar Hopper)
2013 Road King CVO (Sold)
2009 Ultra CVO (Sold)
2011 Road King Custom (Sold)
2012 Road Glide CVO (Sold)
2012 Street Glide CVO (Sold)
2011 Street Glide (Sold)
2009 Street Glide (Sold)
2009 Road Glide (Sold)
2002 Road King (Sold)
1994 Softtail Springer (Sold)
1972 Harley (Can't Remember)
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 25 queries.