Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Effects of continual use of a bad compensator?  (Read 10843 times)

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
Effects of continual use of a bad compensator?
« on: September 26, 2013, 11:23:51 AM »

Can anyone tell me exactly what happens when you have a bad compensator and you continue to ride.  Mine is acting up and I'm trying to stretch it out until the end of the riding season.  At that point I'll have to decide on using the new 2104 kit with the glued in parts or purchase a new cover with the changes for better oil distribution on the compensator.  The only think I can think of is to change the primary fluid this weekend and make a determination based on how clean it is & hopefully void of metal.  Obviously if I notice metal it will force my hand into purchasing something I just don't know which way to go.  Wish their was some bullet proof options for us to consider.   When I talked to Reggie @ R&R Cycle he told me they just bend the spring and it seems to hold up to their big motors.  I also have the Hayden primary chain tensioner ready to install the next time I'm in there.   It seems a lot of us are on the fence on this one.   Any suggestions?

Thanks

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
Re: Effects of continual use of a bad compensator?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 11:31:23 AM »

Well I don't know how long or about further damage but mine started a howling noise and I rode it almost 30 miles to the dealer and the last couple of traffic lights it tried to die but I was able to keep it going to get there. Don't know if this was the comp for sure or the rear exhaust valve was stuck open when taken apart and I had to carry the heads the second time to Dan Baisley as the seals and guides were bad and I watched him beat on both sides of the valve with a hammer and aluminum bar. Keep in mind this was the first comp assembly replacement on my 07 if that makes any difference. Good luck to you.

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 11:32:41 AM »

If its bad enough to be very noticeable I would go ahead and change it. Dealer did mine in a few hours and I was back on the road. Not sure what you are speaking of with the new cover, I must have missed that memo, but if you can keep it lubricated better you will be ahead of the game.

RayG

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 11:55:25 AM »

The new & improved 2014' have you glued parts in the primary or you can purchase the cover primary cover with the wedged made into it.  They are all standard on 2014's.  It's much more expensive than it use to be because the prices are up & they want you to get a new rotor.  Your $220 job for the older SE compensator just might be close to $500.00 for the new one.  Dealer is out of the version that is in the bike now.   

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 12:03:25 PM »

The new & improved 2014' have you glued parts in the primary or you can purchase the cover primary cover with the wedged made into it.  They are all standard on 2014's.  It's much more expensive than it use to be because the prices are up & they want you to get a new rotor.  Your $220 job for the older SE compensator just might be close to $500.00 for the new one.  Dealer is out of the version that is in the bike now.   

Ray, if you already have the previous SE compensator you don't need to change the rotor or the spring pack.  That is only for those who still have the original total POS compensator that was stock on the '07-'09 bikes.  As for the cover, as long as you thoroughly clean the surface and follow the adhesive directions exactly, you should be alright just installing the plastic trough in the stock cover.  The secret is the prep of the surfaces and following the directions; the adhesive itself is more than strong enough.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 12:13:21 PM »

Jerry are you referring to the original one the 07-09's came with? I remember my first and only so far replacement was the first revision. Did the 09's come with the first revision or second? So next time mine goes out do I use the newest one or is that only for newer bikes? I think part of the reason mine has held up is the Baker Primary bearing was used instead of the HD bearing because my original had walked and caused the comp assembly to go bad.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 12:35:30 PM »

Jerry are you referring to the original one the 07-09's came with? I remember my first and only so far replacement was the first revision. Did the 09's come with the first revision or second? So next time mine goes out do I use the newest one or is that only for newer bikes? I think part of the reason mine has held up is the Baker Primary bearing was used instead of the HD bearing because my original had walked and caused the comp assembly to go bad.

Any of the Screamin' Eagle revisions should already have the correct rotor and spring pack.  The original factory installed compensators were NOT the SE version until the 2010 CVO's if I remember correctly.  If you had your original factory compensator replaced with a SE compensator, you should already have the new design spring pack and rotor.  If you have the paperwork check the part numbers they used.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 02:50:17 PM »

Any of the Screamin' Eagle revisions should already have the correct rotor and spring pack.  The original factory installed compensators were NOT the SE version until the 2010 CVO's if I remember correctly.  If you had your original factory compensator replaced with a SE compensator, you should already have the new design spring pack and rotor.  If you have the paperwork check the part numbers they used.

Jerry

Jerry,

I have an '09 SERG with the original compensator and it's never been torn down.  I also have no issues yet with the starting, kick back etc. 

Just what are the main symptons of a bad compenator?

If I ever need to update the stock '09 CVO compenator, what all will be necessary in the upgrade?

Thanks.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 04:18:59 PM »

I posted a photo in Jan-2009, of the first iteration SE motor sprocket that I stuffed into my ’09 FLHX- 131. I haven’t had the primary cover off since the 131 and SE sprocket were installed at 255 miles, four years and 44,700 miles ago.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=31769.msg514197#msg514197

I inspect the sprocket for serviceability during primary fluid changes. To inspect, I elevate the rear wheel and rock it by hand, in high gear, while inspecting the sprocket for free play through the derby cover opening. At this point my sprocket still has significant tension, without any free play.

Is the sprocket worn? I’m sure it is. Is it serviceable? Sure it is. If the sprocket’s capacity was reduced by 50%, it would still have 350% of the original unit’s capacity. Does the sprocket make some noise? Sure it does, but so do the tires when they become worn, and they aren’t swapped out until they are worn to somewhere near their serviceable limit.

FWIW, a 131 with 45,000 miles makes some noise, and you can induce a racket from the primary drive of a 6-speed Twin Cam with zero mileage. Does that mean that parts should be replaced? That’s hard to say. JMHO.

RayG

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2013, 05:09:25 PM »

I should have the rotor because I have a box full of compensator's, well only 4.  When I take this one out I will have 5.  I'm sure I have a rotor that will fit.  The first compensator came with the 08 and went 41,000 miles. The newer SE versions went from 5,000 to 7,000 miles.  I just talked with Steve from GMR and obviously Harley made the part needed for the Compusaver obsolete.  I will put the new one in and change fluid more often and maybe check the torque setting while I do a visual.  Not only is it getting expensive but getting tired of putting defective parts right from the start.  I saw the photos of the new 2014 compensator with less than 1,500 miles and it looked like crap.  Ramps were worn and some holes were filled with debris.  Not much for a choice out there right now.   

Beta Tester 007   

Page created in 0.399 seconds with 25 queries.