Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Discontinued CVO's-Thoughts?  (Read 5037 times)

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
Re: Discontinued CVO's-Thoughts?
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2013, 12:30:04 AM »

The Motor Company has a long history of making really strange decisions. Not continuing the CVO Street Glide is one example.   
Does not bother me at all that people are getting damn close to msrp with 15000km+ on them.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2013, 04:25:57 PM »

Except, as is often stated, a CVO MSRP includes all of the included bling, so that has to count for something when comparing to the MSRP of a similarly blinged-out base bike.  The rate of depreciation may be the same, but it seems to me that the CVO would be a better long term value.

Perhaps I did not make myself clear...The rate of depreciation would be approximately the same.  So a bike that sells for 35K because it's a CVO depreciates 10% per year. The next year (depending on mileage, etc) the bike would be worth $31,500, which from my experience is more or less the case. If you bought a "regular" Ultra for $26,000, it would also depreciate 10%, making it worth $23,400.  That's just a wild assed guess, but probably not too far off the mark.  Either way, you've "lost" 10% of what you paid.  Of course the CVO is going to bring more $$$, 'cause it cost more $$$ to begin with.  Of course, depending on the bike, like maybe the two years they did CVO Street Glides...they might possibly bring a bit more just because it's a popular bike and the demand might be out there at any given point in time.  But I wouldn't count on it...it definitely is not, in any shape/form, an "investment".  It will depreciate, regardless.

Buying a "regular" HD of ANY model and putting the same "stuff" on it that comes on the same model CVO is an unwise decision, IMO.  The book value is still going to be for a "regular" HD of it's model.  You MIGHT get 10 cents on the dollar for the added "stuff" to make it equal to a CVO, but only if you find the right buyer who just happens to like what you've done.  The VIN number tells the tale...it's either a CVO or it's not.  Taking any bike and "customizing" it with paint, bling, engine work...whatever...is likely to be a losing proposition, as the NADA value is based on the original model/VIN.  If you found a buyer who happens to like what you've done and can write you a check, then you might get part of your money back, but if the buyer has to get financing, the amount eligible for financing would be based on the book value.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

grayghost731

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Built For ME! Love My Fatboy CVO

• CVO1: FLSTFSE Platinum Mist&Slate 102.81 HP 113.47 Torque
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2013, 04:36:54 PM »

Perhaps I did not make myself clear...The rate of depreciation would be approximately the same.  So a bike that sells for 35K because it's a CVO depreciates 10% per year. The next year (depending on mileage, etc) the bike would be worth $31,500, which from my experience is more or less the case. If you bought a "regular" Ultra for $26,000, it would also depreciate 10%, making it worth $23,400.  That's just a wild assed guess, but probably not too far off the mark.  Either way, you've "lost" 10% of what you paid.  Of course the CVO is going to bring more $$$, 'cause it cost more $$$ to begin with.  Of course, depending on the bike, like maybe the two years they did CVO Street Glides...they might possibly bring a bit more just because it's a popular bike and the demand might be out there at any given point in time.  But I wouldn't count on it...it definitely is not, in any shape/form, an "investment".  It will depreciate, regardless.

Buying a "regular" HD of ANY model and putting the same "stuff" on it that comes on the same model CVO is an unwise decision, IMO.  The book value is still going to be for a "regular" HD of it's model.  You MIGHT get 10 cents on the dollar for the added "stuff" to make it equal to a CVO, but only if you find the right buyer who just happens to like what you've done.  The VIN number tells the tale...it's either a CVO or it's not.  Taking any bike and "customizing" it with paint, bling, engine work...whatever...is likely to be a losing proposition, as the NADA value is based on the original model/VIN.  If you found a buyer who happens to like what you've done and can write you a check, then you might get part of your money back, but if the buyer has to get financing, the amount eligible for financing would be based on the book value.

Makes sense to ME!   :2vrolijk_21:   It's all about the vin#  ;)

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2013, 08:43:11 PM »

If you want it buy it, If you don't, then don't. Who makes a motorcycle (luxury item) purchase based on percentage of possible depreciation? This makes no sense to me, In this day and age NO ONE buys a HD as a investment.

woode

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Anniversary FLHTCUSE8
    • CVO2: (Retired) Ruby Red FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2013, 02:00:48 AM »

This was my point exactly.  I wasn't implying that it was wise to try to "make" a CVO, only that IF YOU DID, you would start off with a bike of lesser value, because the add-ons were not part of the MSRP, hence the depreciation would be more of a factor.  Take your example... If you bought a new CVO Ultra for $35K (you would be damn lucky), your depreciated value would be $31.5K.  The standard Ultra with MSRP of $26K (a Limited, I assume) with $9K of extra bling, you would have the same total amount invested, but would have a depreciated value of only $23,400.  So, even though the rate of depreciation was the same, the value of your investment would be greater with a CVO.  I'm just paraphrasing the sales pitch used be Harley to move these things, and it makes sense to me.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 21 queries.