Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Noise in front rocker box  (Read 2365 times)

wnogood

• Full CVO Member
Noise in front rocker box
« on: November 23, 2013, 09:11:49 AM »

I've been chasing a tick in my engine for a while now. Narrowed it down to the front rocker box. I've got the upper cover off, any ideas what to look for?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Noise in front rocker box
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 11:23:09 AM »

Shiny spots.  Anywhere where the rocker arm might have contacted anything as it moves up and down.  If you've got adjustable pushrods make sure they are adjusted correctly.  Less likely but make sure the bushing inside the rocker arm isn't worn out.  As importantly as anything though would be to make sure the sound you are hearing up top isn't just migrating along the working parts and isn't actually a bad lifter down below.

wnogood

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 08:57:11 AM »

Well, maybe I've discovered the source of my noise. My rocker arm end play is a bit excessive. I've got 015 on the intake and 021 on the exhaust. Gonna order some shims and give that a shot...

krypto2011

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 09:25:46 AM »

At this point, now that it is apart, wouldn't adjustable push rods be a better solution? I here a lot about them and if it happens again, you could adjust it out of it? And why the rockers get loose in the first place if nothing has changed?? Something worn out??  The only reason I ask I just had me cams done and my guy called me when it was apart and recommended we do adjustable push rods as well. We did and the dreaded engine noise this thing had from day one is all but gone!!!
2011 SESG Krypto/Black Diamond, SE 259e cams, SE 5.3 injectors, HPI 58mm throttle body, heads ported and polished, V&H power duals, CFR mufflers, SE race tuner, SE high flow air filter

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 10:22:09 AM »

Well, maybe I've discovered the source of my noise. My rocker arm end play is a bit excessive. I've got 015 on the intake and 021 on the exhaust. Gonna order some shims and give that a shot...

If you've got a clearance now (no matter what it is) that you didn't have before it means something has worn, loosened or otherwise changed.  Not something to just shim and forget but something to discover what changed and fix the initial cause.

wnogood

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 01:52:20 PM »

Thanks for all the words of caution, but the noise started gradually after I swapped to the hydraulic cam plate with Andrews 48 cams. It's not horrible, but it's aggravating.

wnogood

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2013, 01:53:38 PM »

And I installed adjustable pushrods when I did the cams.

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 07:36:02 AM »

Looks to be a mighty thin shim you may create more issues than you solve. Are you sure the push rod is not rubbing on the tube.
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

wnogood

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 04:12:32 PM »

Looks to be a mighty thin shim you may create more issues than you solve. Are you sure the push rod is not rubbing on the tube.

Thats a possibility. I'm gonna take a look at that when I get the rocker stands off...

wnogood

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, 09:04:44 AM »

No contact on the pushrods, but it looks like the intake valve spring cap was hitting the sharp edge of the lower rocker box recess. I've created some clearance there now, but I wonder why all of a sudden I have contact after 30k+ miles after a simple cam change?

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 21 queries.