Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do you guys go out all day without bags? Have streetglide now...  (Read 5876 times)

steveg56

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 StreetGlide

CVO breakout is looking real nice this year, but wondering how I carry extra gloves, jackets for the micro climates we have in the bay area.  inland its 100*, then 45 min from there near the beach it's 60*.  How do you over come that on this kind of bike?  I'm I just being a Pu**y?

clembo

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Breakout
Re: How do you guys go out all day without bags? Have streetglide now...
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 05:32:54 AM »

"How do you over come that on this kind of bike?  I'm I just being a Pu**y?"

Yes.

Seriously - I have my CVO Breakout and a RKC so I get used to the bags as well. I think the bags are a security net, they allow you to over plan for a ride, but it feels good knowing that you have evrything with you. I added a Swingarm bag to the Breakout, and a small tool bag low in front. They help carry a few essentials, but really you just need to sacrifice a bit, for the enjoyment riding the Breakout. It is worth it. 8)

steveg56

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 10:37:58 AM »

"How do you over come that on this kind of bike?  I'm I just being a Pu**y?"

Yes.

Seriously - I have my CVO Breakout and a RKC so I get used to the bags as well. I think the bags are a security net, they allow you to over plan for a ride, but it feels good knowing that you have evrything with you. I added a Swingarm bag to the Breakout, and a small tool bag low in front. They help carry a few essentials, but really you just need to sacrifice a bit, for the enjoyment riding the Breakout. It is worth it. 8)

Thanks for your honesty.  Do you prefer the breakout over your RKC for solo day rides?  I say solo as my wife no longer rides with me so that's the kind of riding I will be doing.  Music is another thing I think I may miss, but agree that with bags I really do over plan...very well put.  THX

RoadMonkey

• formerly maddog360
  • Full CVO Member
  • that's how we do it

• CVO1: '13 CVO Road King, 100th Anniv FLHRSE5
    • CVO2: '13 Camaro
    • CVO3: F250 Super Duty
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 10:45:42 AM »

Before I had bags (which at one time I said I would "never" do) I would use either a small tank bag or a backpack. The tank bag was my 1st choice because it was compact, but if I needed more room the backpack worked out. I do have to say that having the bags on the bike has become a nice option. Things change =) It's All Good to me!
"It's All Good" FLHRSE5 110th anniversary, aka.. Road King. bars, Vance & Hines Monster Rounds, H-D Aux light kit, saddlebag guards, always having something else powder coated to black ;) ,  Sundowner seat(when ride is 400+ miles per day)... -aka Todd

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 11:46:07 AM »

If you don't have saddlebags just pull a trailer.... ::)

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 12:14:58 PM »

If you don't have saddlebags just pull a trailer.... ::)
That way you can overplan for a 2 week trip!!!!!  :coolblue:
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

dahsen

• Elite CVO Member
    • QC

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout Sedona Sand
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 02:01:47 PM »

Küryakyn Handlebar bag that sits on your headlamp.  I use it only when I'm not sure of the weather...

ematicic

• Full CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2013 Break Out
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 04:16:27 PM »

I have an engine guard. I will get a tool bag to latch on to that so it is out of the way and throw the registration in there also. I throw the bags on for longer trips but bar hopping they stay off. Going to work I need to bring my crap inside anyhow so I rock a backpack most days.

ChopperPilot

• 1K CVO Member
    • MO

• CVO1: 2023 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2020 FLHXSE (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2014 FXSBSE (Sold)
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 08:11:36 PM »

I might put a swing arm bag on, or put the sissy bar/ luggage rack on to carry a small bag.
I don't put the sissy bar on, unless my wife is riding, or I need to put something on the luggage rack.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 08:18:33 PM by ChopperPilot »
2023 CVO Street Glide
Whiskey Neat
Khrome Werks Duals

2019 Heritage Classic 114 Special
Silver Flux and Black Fuse
Rinehart 2 into 1 Pipe
Screamin' Eagle Super Tuner

2014 CVO Breakout
Hard Candy Sedona Sand and Blaze Orange
Vance & Hines Big Radius 2 into 2 Pipes
Screamin' Eagle Super Tuner

clembo

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Breakout
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2013, 08:24:40 PM »

Thanks for your honesty.  Do you prefer the breakout over your RKC for solo day rides?  I say solo as my wife no longer rides with me so that's the kind of riding I will be doing.  Music is another thing I think I may miss, but agree that with bags I really do over plan...very well put.  THX

Yes I do prefer the Breakout for solo day rides, it is more fun, and it just looks so nice it is hard to keep it in the garage. I do like riding with my wife, and that is what the RKC is mostly used for. I never ride with music, so I like the open breeze of both bikes.

If you get the Breakout, you will need to change the pipes and add a tuner. Then you have a perfect toy.

JakeB

• Full CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2014 SERK
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2013, 10:43:46 PM »

dude -

just buy the backrest and luggage rack.  Then you throw a bag over the backrest (like t-bag brand bags) and let it rest on the luggage rack.  Or, if you're just going solo you don't even need the luggage rack.  In that case your bag just sits on the passenger seat.  you can get the same amount, or more in a good t-bag set up  as you can in two saddle bags.  for the day-to-day stuff, like gloves, insurance, regestration, etc...i but a fork bag on.

jake
Jake

steveg56

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2013, 11:50:12 PM »

The Tbag option makes sense when traveling, but I don't want to tarnish the look a a CVO Breakout with a Tbag unless I really needed it.   I just need to man up a bit and deal with the cold when it happens.  Sometimes I leave at when it's 80* out and then on the way home at 10 pm it 55* and I freeze my eyeballs off.  Hate to wear a warm jacket when it 85, just to be prepared for my 55* ride home later that day. 

Blackhawk

• How do you clear your mind between meetings: wind in my face at 60mph and a rumble between my legs.

• CVO1: 2012 Softail Convertable
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2013, 12:40:21 AM »

I backpack it when a little extra is needed.  Hate hiding the chrome and paint job when out and about for the day.  I did have to upgrade from the Batman backpack.

JakeB

• Full CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2014 SERK
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2013, 02:55:41 PM »

The Tbag option makes sense when traveling, but I don't want to tarnish the look a a CVO Breakout with a Tbag unless I really needed it.   I just need to man up a bit and deal with the cold when it happens.  Sometimes I leave at when it's 80* out and then on the way home at 10 pm it 55* and I freeze my eyeballs off.  Hate to wear a warm jacket when it 85, just to be prepared for my 55* ride home later that day. 

They also make small day trip type bags.  I use one to carry my lunch to work and in the afternoon i put my jacket in there too. 
Jake

BeeCVOBreakOut

• Junior CVO Member
  • Breakout and say no to baggers.
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2013, 04:26:50 PM »

I've never had a bagger but rode a few and its a matter of preference. It might be nice to have luggage compartments for long touring trips but I've always been a fan of keeping the lines of a bike simple and clean. It makes the bike easier to work on.  I rode my 88 FXLR-C from Germany to Portugal with a sleeping bag on the bars, rucksack strapped to my passenger back rest and a tool bag on the forks. It would have been nice to have a stereo after a few days on the road but not a necessity. I probably would have just used an iPod if they were around back then. It's all about what you are into.
A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.
 Lao Tzu

If I needed a fairing, windshield, stereo and storage space, I would drive my car. Break out and just say no to bags.

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 21 queries.