Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 110 cam, heads and piston upgrade?  (Read 3214 times)

lennyj

• PA

110 cam, heads and piston upgrade?
« on: October 27, 2013, 01:33:52 PM »

I'm looking at the SCREAMIN’ EAGLE® PRO STAGE III RACE KIT – 110 CUBIC INCHES with MVA heads.  My biggest concern is with the 259 cam and how streetable this will be.  I've had other 110 bikes but never done anything but pipes and race tuner.  The other bikes impressed me with how well and smooth they ran (relatively).  Will this combo be ok as a daily driver?  I'll be putting the Bassani Pro Street pipes on the CVO break-out as well.  My goal is more power while keeping some manners.  Local dealer quoted me $4,000 out the door.

Surprised with this "in a box kit" I couldn't find much feed-back.  Thanks in advance!!

Steve Cole

• Manufacturer TTS
  • 1K CVO Member
Re: 110 cam, heads and piston upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 02:43:42 PM »

I think if you look around you can make better power for less money than that kit. You need to look at your riding style and fit whatever you do to that. If you want a bar hopper that could be a good combination but if you look at some of the packages that others have you can do better.
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 03:38:15 PM »

. You need to look at your riding style and fit whatever you do to that. If you want a bar hopper that could be a good combination

X2. You are right to look for a different cam, unless you want to rev it up to get power. Other cams work better at lower revs.
You probably want to replace the HD lifters with something reliable while you're in there.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 03:41:20 PM by DoubleCoppers »
If you want peace, prepare for war.

smiley1049

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 05:12:54 PM »

Sent PM

ImBroke

• Junior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE WHITE AMETHYST/BLACK LICORICE
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 06:03:04 PM »

I'd stay away from the MVA heads.  Your 110 head will flow enough for that cam and the MVA's have too much spring pressure.

lennyj

• PA

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 07:45:50 PM »

Thanks for the advice guys, I do a lot of 250 mile interstate days and just as many putting round town. Think ill just go with pipe and tune. I'd hate to go through the expense and effort to end up with something ill like less. Best

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 04:16:47 PM »

There are a few that like that kit, even less that can show you a nice dyno sheet ( compared to other kits).. There really are better kits out there that will get you where you want for less money and increased longevity..

Several shops including us sell kits that are high teens low 120 hp and over 120 tq. From shop to shop the kit will differ. But That kit in my opinion is a mid and upper RPM style kit. The dyno sheet shows decent power however I am not a fan of how it feels seat of the pants.
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

GRam

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2013, 11:38:14 PM »

That's a bit more than I paid, but right in the ballpark. I love it in my RG. But I like to run my bike up more in the rpm band than
the next guy I'm guessing. It's fun in my bagger, it would be a gas in your breakout.

fkjunkin

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 01:52:31 AM »

Had some lifter problems on my 2011 Road glide ultra and found a shop to sort them out and squeeze some more power from the engine. Discussed going with a s&s 124 kit but the builder thinks I would be happier raising compression to 10.5-1 585 cams and some headwork for my riding style. I am looking for dependability formost. Riding is combo of two up loaded and around 30% just me having fun. Most time spent between 2500-4200 RPM. I am not a gearhead so any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
Frank

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2013, 08:58:10 AM »

Cam is good the comp ratio is not out of line however I would be very picky on the head work.. The intake runner is already too large and I have a set here from a east cost shop that did Stage II . I feel they would work fine on a 117 or more so a 124 .. However for a 110 they killed the power across the board. Yes back to back testing was done.With out heads that had nothing more than a larger intake valve installed along with some very mild blending the engine came to life and produce 11 / 12 % gain Hp / Tq.. 
We can and do make  over 120/120  (123 hp/122 tq last kit ) was done with stock ports and our own kit. So take your time and get the "correct" port work done. Good luck to you..

On another note     the 585 in a 110 is still not a great low end hitting set up. Overall not bad but I feel that you can do better.
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 21 queries.