Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Falcon belt, Gates belt, or stock belt  (Read 11440 times)

gabbyduffy

• Junior CVO Member
Falcon belt, Gates belt, or stock belt
« on: November 10, 2013, 08:49:23 PM »

I just broke my Falcon belt, we all know the Falcon belts are inferior....... Has anybody broke a gates belt yet? I was planning on doing the Fullsack mod but recently read that the gates belt in the exact same as the stock belt which is stronger.......... Are the Gates belts as strong as the stock belts?   

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
Re: Falcon belt, Gates belt, or stock belt
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 09:44:23 PM »

Personally, this is where I would use the stock belt over an aftermarket belt.  The stock belt is a good choice, not sure is it is manufactured by Gates but it is a good belt.
Jesus is Lord

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 07:28:09 AM »

100% fact, Gates makes the belts for HD. Was told this by the Gates South East Region Frog Dog!!
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Never ride with a Halfsac! Insist on Fullsac Perf!
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 08:27:57 AM »

I just broke my Falcon belt, we all know the Falcon belts are inferior....... Has anybody broke a gates belt yet? I was planning on doing the Fullsack mod but recently read that the gates belt in the exact same as the stock belt which is stronger.......... Are the Gates belts as strong as the stock belts?   

Just curious, How far from home were you when it broke?

Steve
Steve@fullsac.com  www.fullsac.com
Never argue with idiots. They will beat you with experience.

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 01:58:56 PM »

I have used the Falcon belt on 124 making over the 140/140 range and never a issue. I have read the posts about issues with them however never had one break. We have install dozens of them. If you can post a pic of the belt and the break in close up detail.
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 02:51:51 PM »

I have used the Falcon belt on 124 making over the 140/140 range and never a issue. I have read the posts about issues with them however never had one break. We have install dozens of them. If you can post a pic of the belt and the break in close up detail.

You ran  1" wide falcon on 2009 or later bike with a 124"?

SG

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 02:56:31 PM »

Goodyear falcon  Yes we have and it has been a great belt the guy is a hammer on the throttle  ( light switch) and it has held up without issue. Again I have read the issues others have had but we have not seen that first hand.  I even called up Drag ( they sell it under there name brand) and asked if they have had any calls on failure breakage etc.  Nothing more than any other brand .  :huh2:

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 08:21:42 PM »

I run a S&S 1.125" belt with over 40,000 miles in two years.
116HP@5600 rpm / 122 torgue @ 3800 rpm

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2013, 07:20:41 AM »

Goodyear falcon  Yes we have and it has been a great belt the guy is a hammer on the throttle  ( light switch) and it has held up without issue. Again I have read the issues others have had but we have not seen that first hand.  I even called up Drag ( they sell it under there name brand) and asked if they have had any calls on failure breakage etc.  Nothing more than any other brand .  :huh2:

What year was the bike?

SG

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2013, 07:56:24 AM »

we have used many of these belts my own 2009 107 making 120/120+ and I beat the snot out of it. Hole shot after hole shot. 2009 120 r making 143/ 139 2010 117 making 135/135, etc My question is how many of these have really failed. Not internet read t his or that.. But guys that have broke the belt. What was the belt tension set to. I do not run that thing so tight its singing like most I hear and see. The pulley gets hot it expands and over tightens the belt. I know what the HD spec is and no way in hell would I run that. Set it up like HD specs out run the bike on a hot day two up that belt has zero slack, when you stop middle of a run and check it.    Most sound like that insurance pig   weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee as the bike slows done  >:(

Not stating its a good or bad belt only what we have seen first hand.

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2013, 09:44:41 AM »

we have used many of these belts my own 2009 107 making 120/120+ and I beat the snot out of it. Hole shot after hole shot. 2009 120 r making 143/ 139 2010 117 making 135/135, etc My question is how many of these have really failed. Not internet read t his or that.. But guys that have broke the belt. What was the belt tension set to. I do not run that thing so tight its singing like most I hear and see. The pulley gets hot it expands and over tightens the belt. I know what the HD spec is and no way in hell would I run that. Set it up like HD specs out run the bike on a hot day two up that belt has zero slack, when you stop middle of a run and check it.    Most sound like that insurance pig   weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee as the bike slows done  >:(

Not stating its a good or bad belt only what we have seen first hand.

I wouldn't use a Falcon belt to hold my pants up. I broke two on my personal bike within 6 months. Every single one I sold broke within the first year. The list of people who broke 138T Falcons with the 30T front pulley goes around the block. If you didn't have a 30T front pulley, why would you ever run a non OEM belt in the first place? You still running a falcon on your personal bike Steve? I have a proven method on how to break em.

Let me show you proper technique on the weakening procedure.  

Steve

SG
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 09:48:33 AM by Fullsac Perf »

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2013, 10:59:20 AM »

Yes I do still have it on there.  HD can suck my ball sack I buy next to nothing only way if there is no other option.  Like I said guys broke them I have to wonder did anyone follow up with the manufacture on that ?? Bad batch of belts. As its not like I have not broken HD belts as well others break them as well.   Oh well carry on I will keep my belt.. OH I made several pass at Firebird track  with 3500 RPM leave on the sticky pad either.. Maybe I got the only good one  :pepper:

But its a heads up that is a good thing. ITs not like I cannot buy a gates instead.

gabbyduffy

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2013, 06:14:18 PM »

Just to be clear, the Falcon belt was fine with the stock 13" shocks on it, the day I switched to the lower 12" street glide shocks and adjusted it to Harley specs I did a rolling hole shot and the belt snapped.........     So who knows...........  Fullsack, I was only 30 miles from home and a friend just happened to bring his trailer to work that day, so not a big deal.  maybe I will give gates a shot this time before I do the mod and leave some play in the adjustment.

bubtrauma

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2013, 01:19:00 PM »

Ok just a comment here.

I am in the process of doing the pulley mod on my 09 classic. I found a falcon belt on line which I bought and was NEW. When I got it it was twisted for easy packing. Wondered about that and for some reason I contacted the manufacture to discuss the the concern from some about the breakage. (oh ya I bought the belt before I found the thread about breakage) anyway while talking to the manufacture I said the belt came twisted in the box. So for the hell of it I contacted the guy I bought it from to tell him that I was not going to use it because it came twisted. btw... (I was not mad at the guy I bought it from either he was a GREAT dude). He said that was interesting because when he bought it from a supplier it came that way. Well for chuckles I called the manufacture back and told him that the orginal owner got it in a box twisted from his store that he delt with. The manufacture said it should have never been shipped twisted.

Well now I am not using that belt for my mod. Again for chuckles I E-MAIL the fellow I spoke with at the manufacture and ask if he could help me out with my situation some way, and he is.

So, I am CONTINUALLY shocked at how some Companies go WAY above the customer service think. HATS of to THOSE American companies that sometimes go the extra mile to stand behind there product no matter what.

God I LOVE your Country

Bub from Canada

Head scratcher .... I wonder if there is a coalation to those belts that failed and how they were shipped ......... just a thought.
bend it, chop it, cut it, bang it, weld it and paint it to match........

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2013, 04:26:37 PM »

I don't want to get in the middle of which belt is better,  but I had the stock belt go 41,400 miles of some serious abuse without even looking worn.  That's when some of us were doing the 30 tooth sprocket conversions & I ended up installing a Falcon belt.  The tension was right and if my memory serves me I put less than 3000 easy miles on the bike before it shredded.  I installed the Moco's 136 tooth belt for the export models and it has been holding up fine.  If someone had the time to look up the old post I had the belt inspected by a lamination company that I used to work at and the findings were inferior at best.  I would be one of the last persons to give the Moco any of my money & I have gone the extra mile to find aftermarket products  every chance I get.  But unless the lay up and manufacturing procedure has changed I personally would not touch another Falcon belt.  My wife & I were lucky we only had to walk 5 miles to get a truck & trailer, it was July 4th & my riding was done until I could get the proper belt.  I still have the belt and will post photos as soon as I can.  I know of two others that did the change when I did and while they said I had bad luck it wasn't very long before they had to replace their belts as well.  My belt was shipped without being folded & I may still have the box as well.  I'll post photos on Saturday. 

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 25 queries.