Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Re-useable K&N oil filter  (Read 2727 times)

evodistraction

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 SERK "Burgandy Blaze"
Re-useable K&N oil filter
« on: December 06, 2013, 10:46:16 PM »

I have always used K&N filters (oil & air) and was on their site to order a few oil filters when I saw this:

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=SS-171

So for $200 you never need to buy another oil filter! At $10 bucks a pop for their regular filter, after 20 oil changes (50,000 miles) every oil change going forward comes with a free filter. The question is, can you trust it to keep doing the job over that many cycles? Has anyone used one of these? Their website claims superior performance over traditional filters, specifically because they have installed magnets into the woven media to help catch metal shavings. I like the concept but I'd also like to get some real world feedback if anyone has some to share.

Evo

« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 10:47:58 PM by evodistraction »

FLHTCUSE7

Re: Re-useable K&N oil filter
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 11:18:47 PM »

Not the way I want to go. Filters are cheap, get a brand new every time. Don't waste your money

evodistraction

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 11:47:04 PM »

I can see it now, someday when I sell the bike and I'm telling the buyer that the GPS, iPod and oil filter aren't included!

Evo

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 07:38:33 AM »

Perf-Form has been making these for years. 1st put one on a 2000 FXST, mainly because it claimed to lower oil temp. It seemed to perform well and I liked the looks. That was before I found out that ANY product that claims to lower oil temps, short of a good 10 row Jagg, is snake oil!!!!
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 09:08:05 AM »

That's basically the same filter Pure Power has been selling for quite a few years now, and as best I can tell looking at the write up there is nothing new here.  It's a stainless steel mesh that "increases flow" because it filters less.  The Pure Power and K&P folks used to push these with claims of increased power as well.  Yes, when you reduce the actual filtration it also reduces restriction to flow and therefore could reduce power losses at the oil pump.  Whoop de doo.

Make sure you enjoy yourself when you try to clean that filter btw.  If you don't have a nice Safety Clean parts cleaning tank or something similar it can be a messy and inefficient proposition.

As for the math, assuming a 5k oil change interval and $15 for a regular K&N chrome filter, I come up with about 67,000 miles to break even.  So the lower cost argument is sort of meaningless unless you have some inside information that says the regular filter prices are going to skyrocket over the next few years.

JMHO - Jerry
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 07:10:34 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

evodistraction

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 10:05:12 AM »

That's basically the same filter Pure Power has been selling for quite a few years now, and as best I can tell looking at the write up there is nothing new here.  It's a stainless steel mesh that "increases flow" because it filters less.  The Pure Power and K&S folks used to push these with claims of increased power as well.  Yes, when you reduce the actual filtration it also reduces restriction to flow and therefore could reduce power losses at the oil pump.  Whoop de doo.

Make sure you enjoy yourself when you try to clean that filter btw.  If you don't have a nice Safety Clean parts cleaning tank or something similar it can be a messy and inefficient proposition.

As for the math, assuming a 5k oil change interval and $15 for a regular K&N chrome filter, I come up with about 67,000 miles to break even.  So the lower cost argument is sort of meaningless unless you have some inside information that says the regular filter prices are going to skyrocket over the next few years.

JMHO - Jerry

Well, it sounded good on paper! I guess this is one of those situations where the KISS principle is most appropriate! As far as what brand of filter, are you saying that they are pretty much all the same performance wise? If so I guess that would leave price as the deciding factor?

Evo

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2013, 10:55:10 AM »

K&N spin on filters are a good choice and also have a handy nut welded on the end of the filter facilitating easy installation and removal.  Comes in chrome too!   :drink:
Jesus is Lord

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2013, 11:03:51 AM »

Well, it sounded good on paper! I guess this is one of those situations where the KISS principle is most appropriate! As far as what brand of filter, are you saying that they are pretty much all the same performance wise? If so I guess that would leave price as the deciding factor?

Evo

Nope, didn't say that.  There are differences between brands and within brands based on price points.  Take Fram for instance.  They sell cheap filters that are made with cheap materials, and then they sell more expensive filters that are made with higher quality and more expensive materials.  Most filter companies do the same, as they are all competing at various price points.

In my experience the K&N oil filters are a good mid level filter, and I do like that 17mm nut on the end versus trying to get a regular filter wrench in there.  I look for them on sale from places like Eastern Performance and buy several at a time, so my average cost for filters has been around $11.  Btw, the Harley filter is also a good filter these days.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
  • keep the rubber side down
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2013, 01:23:24 PM »

I been using this type of filter and I like that it's cleanable/reuseable....   and there a magnet as well to catch material that may be in the oil ...  and less waste going to land fills
http://kandpengineering.com/technicalhighlights.shtml
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 01:27:19 PM by Lever »
2010 CVO Convertible  crimson red sunglo/Autumn Haze with Metal Grind Graphics
2014 113  motor 10.8 compression
SAE smoothing #5  125.7 hp / 122.9 tq
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2013, 09:04:16 PM »

there a magnet as well to catch material that may be in the oil
http://kandpengineering.com/technicalhighlights.shtml

The stock drain plug is magnetic, and I want to see them on there, not have to find them (or miss them) in the filter.  Different strokes, of course...but waiting 4 to 5 years just to break-even on the cost of filters is not a good investment.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2013, 10:56:34 PM »

Nope, didn't say that.  There are differences between brands and within brands based on price points.  Take Fram for instance.  They sell cheap filters that are made with cheap materials, and then they sell more expensive filters that are made with higher quality and more expensive materials.  Most filter companies do the same, as they are all competing at various price points.

In my experience the K&N oil filters are a good mid level filter, and I do like that 17mm nut on the end versus trying to get a regular filter wrench in there.  I look for them on sale from places like Eastern Performance and buy several at a time, so my average cost for filters has been around $11.  Btw, the Harley filter is also a good filter these days.

Jerry

Are there any studies that show if there's any REAL WORLD advantage to the more expensive filters over the less expensive disposable filters?  For that matter, are there any objective studies that show that the life-time wire mesh filters are worse?  I'm not bagging on you, just asking if are you giving us your opinion, or stating facts?  I'm just curious to see if there's any hard numbers out there that help one way or another.

The stock drain plug is magnetic, and I want to see them on there, not have to find them (or miss them) in the filter.  Different strokes, of course...but waiting 4 to 5 years just to break-even on the cost of filters is not a good investment.

The magnet on the stock drain plug is really pathetic.  I bought Dimple magnetic drain plugs for all three holes (I know, it's probably overkill).  The tranny has always been relatively clean, but the amount of debris in the crankcase and primary that the more powerful magnets capture is scary.  Again, I don't know that it will make any difference in the real world, but I'm a believer in having better magnets in at least two of the drain plugs.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2013, 08:09:12 AM »

It's easy to clean. Just put it in the dishwasher, and put the setting to pots and pans. Comes out real clean. Of course the dishes and silverware may have a funny taste, but you'll get used to it.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

evodistraction

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2013, 09:20:13 AM »

I guess the payback thing was only icing on the cake. I was really looking for a higher performance filter with better flow, cooler running and better filtration all around. From the comments here I think I'll stick to the standard K&N, always had good luck with them in a wide range of applications.

Thanks for all the comments, it's very beneficial for a guy like me to have access to this amount of experience and information!

Evo

hrdtail78

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2013, 07:25:16 PM »

They are cheaper than a good filter cutter.  Gives you a chance to see what is coming out of the pump.   Only advantage I see, but I see it as a good advantage.

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 21 queries.