Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Melted turn signal lenses  (Read 3231 times)

2 ROSE

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Convertible aka “Rose”...my one and only.
Melted turn signal lenses
« on: July 18, 2014, 11:49:31 PM »

Hey All,
Throwing this out there for your assistance. I have replaced both rear turn signal/light bulbs recently. In both instances the bulbs were blackened so much that you could not see into or through them. Also in both instances the bulbs got so hot that they melted the insides of the lenses caps causing little permanent bubbles to form on the inside of each lenses cap.
I am concerned about the amount of heat necessary to make such lenses bubble and melt on the inside of the lenses. Has anyone else experienced this? I would like to know what caused this to happen and what needs to be done so that it does not happen again.
I have a 2012 CVO Convertible.
Thanks,
john

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
Re: Melted turn signal lenses
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 12:08:34 AM »

I thought the newer Bikes used LEDs that are low wattage and heat. Are they the stock lights in the housing?  Is your voltage regulator output correct?

2 ROSE

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 12:36:08 AM »

I don't know. I have the dealer do all my wrenching. I am not very knowledgeable about harleys. I do know there was a recall last year and I if I remember correctly it was for the voltage regulator. The rear brake and turn signal lights use a standard 1157 bulb. The license plate light looks as if it is led. I intend on making an appointment to have it looked at.
Thanks for the reply.

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 11:00:36 AM »

:-\
They may make an 1157 bulb in a halogen version.  If so, you may have those installed and halogens put off tremendous heat. :confused5:

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 10:43:02 PM »

I have halogen 1157 brake light and it causes no issues on the tail light. Turn signal use a 1156 single element.

2 ROSE

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 11:15:26 PM »

Yeah I have some type of issue going on. I am going to make an appointment to have it looked at. Hopefully it is not anything too serious.

2 ROSE

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 12:20:03 PM »

Stopped by my HD dealer yesterday and asked about my rear signal/break lights putting off a great amount of heat, so much so that it causes the inside of the lenses caps to bubble. Two techs said it is normal...I think I need a new HD dealer.

ultrarider123

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 12:53:08 PM »

Stopped by my HD dealer yesterday and asked about my rear signal/break lights putting off a great amount of heat, so much so that it causes the inside of the lenses caps to bubble. Two techs said it is normal...I think I need a new HD dealer.

Normal for what? 

Bulbs getting hot enough to melt the DOT approved signal cover?  I believe and whole hardily agree you need to motivate to another HD dealer.  I would, however, take pictures of the melted covers/burned bulbs and email them to HD customer service along with the name of the dealer (and techs names if you knew them) that said tail light bulbs melting the signal cover was "normal" for an HD product. 

Wonder what the response from HD would be?  My guess?  Customer service would say the response you received was....wait for it....NORMAL! 

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 02:52:40 PM »

Think about that stupid statement from those so-called "techs" for just a moment.  The lenses are a government regulated item (Department of Transportation), and if in fact it was normal for them to melt on a Harley, Harley would be in a world of hurt with the regulators.  Think massive recall.

Just because someone works for a Harley dealership doesn't mean they actually have any qualifications for the job.  You need to take Haird's advice and find a real service department staffed with folks with an IQ of more than 50.  You might also wish to contact H-D to lodge a complaint about both the problem and that lousy dealership.  Not that I think they would ever do anything about dealership folks lying to customers (since H-D does the same thing), but it would make me feel better knowing it was on record if this was happening to me.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

kastout

• CT

• CVO1: 2014 road king
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 07:29:51 AM »

I have seen this before ,first check to see if the lights are on all the time like the break is on , if so then break switch is bad. if not,  change the bulbs , do not go to the auto parts store ,get them from a bike shop .could be bad bulbs or the wrong bulbs .

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 10:23:19 AM »

I have seen this before ,first check to see if the lights are on all the time like the break is on , if so then break switch is bad. if not,  change the bulbs , do not go to the auto parts store ,get them from a bike shop .could be bad bulbs or the wrong bulbs .
Why not??... 1156/1157 bulbs are the same (DOT standard) whether you buy them from an auto parts store or a bike shop.... only difference is you'll (most times) pay more at the (H-D) bike shop than you will at the auto parts store.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

ultrarider123

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2014, 11:21:42 AM »

Why not??... 1156/1157 bulbs are the same (DOT standard) whether you buy them from an auto parts store or a bike shop.... only difference is you'll (most times) pay more at the (H-D) bike shop than you will at the auto parts store.

Sorta what I was thinking, too d00d.  I've used "over the counter" lights for years in all my vehicles with none of them ever getting close to melting my signal covers..... ;D

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 25 queries.