Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Intake Backfire  (Read 2450 times)

Coastal CVO

Intake Backfire
« on: December 11, 2013, 03:16:47 PM »

Soooo!

I tried a couple of different search phrases and most everything that came back was related to intake leaks or exhaust leaks. This post is to try and get more specific responses or possible links to similure questions and answers.

Here's the deal. My 2013 FLHTRXSE2 (RoadGlide Custom 110 Screaming Eagle) backfires thru the intake on occaision when rolling into the throttle from idle, it sometimes does this when shifting into second gear but mostly when starting from a stop light. Harley has re-flashed with the latest updated ECM MAP. The bike is 100% Factory Stock and has done this from day one, over 5K on the bike and still doing it.

Looking for ideas that don't void warranty.

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: Intake Backfire
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 04:39:25 PM »

Try another dealer, something's wrong, and you have a warranty to take care of it.
The best you've had is the best you know.

Doc 1

• Doc 1
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 06:52:06 PM »

Back fire through the throttle body is normally caused by a lean condition.....if it where me I would look for a GOOD tune up.
Doc
Doc's Performance Tuning

www.docsperformancetuning.com

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 07:32:58 PM »

my 2013 RG did the same thing & I got the same run around from dealer, when I put a pipe on it and had it tuned no more problem. it was money well spent imho.
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 07:42:15 PM »

my 2013 RG did the same thing & I got the same run around from dealer, when I put a pipe on it and had it tuned no more problem. it was money well spent imho.
Sure, but you shouldn't have had to do that.  A stock bike doesn't backfire out of the intake as a matter of course.  If it's doing that, there's a problem.
The best you've had is the best you know.

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 07:55:05 PM »

I know I shouldn't have to fix a new bike with my money, but I was gona install the pipe any how. my dealer made me a good deal ,the se race tuner & dyno time was under 500 bucks and it made 93 hp 118 tq....a lot more fun to in that condition too.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 08:20:49 PM »

I know I shouldn't have to fix a new bike with my money, but I was gona install the pipe any how. my dealer made me a good deal ,the se race tuner & dyno time was under 500 bucks and it made 93 hp 118 tq....a lot more fun to in that condition too.

Can't argue with you about the stock tune versus dyno tune deal, but if you look at the original post you will notice that he wants answers that don't affect warranty.  Anything other than the Harley approved stock calibration won't meet his requirement.

Looking for ideas that don't void warranty.

The bike should not stumble, hiccup, stall, or backfire even with the stock tune.  If it does then Harley owes him a fix.  If the dealer can't handle it, I'd recommend the OP call Harley direct and insist on a resolution to the problem.  It may be a waste of time, considering Harley's usual responses to such complaints, but I'd still get it on record in case that backfire becomes a stall and I got run over out on the highway because of that defect.  Then I'd get a tuning solution that would let me put the bike back to stock whenever I wanted to do so (NOT the SEPST) so a dealer or Harley couldn't screw me around on warranty down the road, and then fix the problem myself with a good tune.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 07:09:32 PM »

:oops:i over looked those key words grc , hope he gets further with the HD folks than I did cause I know first hand what a pain it was ride my new bike and not know if it was gona fart out & die any time i took off

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Never ride with a Halfsac! Insist on Fullsac Perf!
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2013, 09:10:43 AM »

Back fire through the throttle body is normally caused by a lean condition.....if it where me I would look for a GOOD tune up.
Doc

:2vrolijk_21:
Steve@fullsac.com  www.fullsac.com
Never argue with idiots. They will beat you with experience.

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2013, 10:06:33 AM »

and yup it was the fullsac DX pipe that got me those great dyno numbers  :2vrolijk_21:

Page created in 0.229 seconds with 21 queries.