Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Better mousetrap garage door opening solution  (Read 1823 times)

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
Better mousetrap garage door opening solution
« on: January 04, 2014, 10:49:21 PM »

Posted this in another thread. Thought it was worth sharing with the larger community. My neighbor put this in and it is truly slick and relatively cheap.

I have ordered the parts and am in the process of installing this garage door solution at my house. For less than 1/2 the HD solution, I can open and close my garage door from any iPhone, iPad or internet connected device. I can see if the door is open or closed from anywhere. I can open or close the door from anywhere. I'm always carrying my phone when I am on my bike so this just made too much sense.

Works with most garage door openers newer than 1998.

More info here:

http://www.liftmaster.com/lmcv2/connectedhome.htm?gclid=CJLdqOKP5rsCFcpDMgodHFgA9w

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
Re: Better mousetrap garage door opening solution
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 11:03:23 PM »

That is the CHIT. Have no reason to open my door if I ain't home, but really like the idea of seeing if its open. Wonder if you can set it to call you if door opens. Thieves that are gonna steal your big chit, gonna take it out the garage!!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 06:22:22 AM by 2k »
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 11:52:43 PM »

That is the CHIT. Have no reason to open my door if I ain't home, but really like the idea of seeing if its open. Wonder if you can set it to call you if door opens. Thieves that are gonna steal your big chit, gonna take it our the garage!!

Yes, you can set it to text or e-mail you when the door opens. For a guy like me who regularly drives off wondering if I left the door open (and sometimes I do), this will save those drives back home to check the door.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 02:15:41 AM »

thats why i like my nest thermostat.  i can check the temp in the house, make sure that i set the heat/ac at a decent temp while i'm gone, and then about 1/2 hr away from home, i can turn on the heat/ac so that the house is nice and cozy when i get home. 

i like the idea of being able to check if the garage door is open without having to do a u-turn and drive back to make sure i shut it :D  sometimes new tech isn't all that bad  :2vrolijk_21:
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 06:52:23 AM »

There have been times that Anne and I have turned back to check and see if the Garage door was closed so this is great....

However, I still think for the Bike, the flip of the hi-beam switch is a he!! of a lot easier than pulling out my iPhone, entering the 4-digit pin, going to the App, launching the app and looking down to see where to press to open the door.....all while trying to keep the shiny side up.

But, I have thought about getting this just so I could close the doors for those few times we forget or are unsure....mostly in the car but even on the bike I can pull over to check.

/Bill
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 01:50:47 PM »

There have been times that Anne and I have turned back to check and see if the Garage door was closed so this is great....

However, I still think for the Bike, the flip of the hi-beam switch is a he!! of a lot easier than pulling out my iPhone, entering the 4-digit pin, going to the App, launching the app and looking down to see where to press to open the door.....all while trying to keep the shiny side up.

But, I have thought about getting this just so I could close the doors for those few times we forget or are unsure....mostly in the car but even on the bike I can pull over to check.

/Bill
X2
Alan

1sharprdkg

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: Not CVO 2003 Road King Classic (Wife's) Sold her 99'RKC (Tinman)
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 03:34:09 PM »

Yes, you can set it to text or e-mail you when the door opens. For a guy like me who regularly drives off wondering if I left the door open (and sometimes I do), this will save those drives back home to check the door.
X2 I am happy to hear I am not the only one that can't remember if he closed the garage door or not! :nixweiss:
" Life is Tough, Life is Tougher if Your Stupid"... John Wayne.

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 12:53:32 AM »

Posted this in another thread. Thought it was worth sharing with the larger community. My neighbor put this in and it is truly slick and relatively cheap.

I have ordered the parts and am in the process of installing this garage door solution at my house. For less than 1/2 the HD solution, I can open and close my garage door from any iPhone, iPad or internet connected device. I can see if the door is open or closed from anywhere. I can open or close the door from anywhere. I'm always carrying my phone when I am on my bike so this just made too much sense.

Works with most garage door openers newer than 1998.

http://www.liftmaster.com/lmcv2/connectedhome.htm?gclid=CJLdqOKP5rsCFcpDMgodHFgA9w

Got the parts in and installed. Install was very easy. They have install videos online for those like me who can't read instructions.

This setup is slick as snot. You get visual feedback as to whether door is open or closed. You can open or close from iPhone, iPad, or computer. My wife loves it! Ordering another wall switch for the other garage door. This will be the best $100 I've spent in a long time.

Highly recommended! :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 10:30:49 AM by Buy early »

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 21 queries.