Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cam lifters and pushrods....  (Read 3239 times)

NorCalRider

• Junior CVO Member
  • been ridin since i was 10 years old...
Cam lifters and pushrods....
« on: March 16, 2014, 03:24:24 AM »

OK, I'm sure to get lots of opinions here, but I'm looking for good solid riding 2 up for many miles. The bike is a 2007 SERK that I'm trying to bring back from the dead.(it was an insurance total) I've read all the posts about cams, lifters and such in the 110 engine having issues, so I'm just trying to get ahead of the curve here. My engine is brand new rebuild by me! So I have new cases (due to accident damage) the crank has been trued and welded by Silver Moon Cycle Products in WI. Stock pistons and cylinder heads, just freshened up with stock parts. Now my next move looks to be Feuling 574c cams, S&S premium lifters and SE adjustable pushrods. This looks to give me a cooler running motor with less lifter/cam noise and a nice strong torque curve. I'm also running stock exhaust head pipes with Vance & Hines mufflers. Any thoughts or concerns in my choices ? I'm not a real hot rodder anymore. If I want to scare myself, I have a vintage XR750 flat track bike that makes over 100hp @ only 300 lbs. just saying....Thanks for your ideas, Chris  :orange:
Better to have memories than to be a memory....just say'in.

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Cam lifters and pushrods....
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 06:39:55 AM »

I just put in GMR's 577's. My setup due to using true duals didn't show great HP numbers, flat lined at peak. Only ended up with 99HP, 114 TQ.

But this cam has a great and broad TQ curve. With a 2-1-2 header the numbers would have probably been 105 HP, 117 TQ.

With headwork, throttle body and good exhaust there are several dynos here showing 120+, 120+.

A very street able and friendly riding cam! :2vrolijk_21:

GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 10:54:44 AM »

Since it's an 07 might want to change out the valve guides to something better than stock it seems like I been hearing that advice from the motor guys on the site. :nixweiss:

TorqueInc

• Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. Mark Twain
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 03:15:37 PM »

OK, I'm sure to get lots of opinions here, but I'm looking for good solid riding 2 up for many miles. The bike is a 2007 SERK that I'm trying to bring back from the dead.(it was an insurance total) I've read all the posts about cams, lifters and such in the 110 engine having issues, so I'm just trying to get ahead of the curve here. My engine is brand new rebuild by me! So I have new cases (due to accident damage) the crank has been trued and welded by Silver Moon Cycle Products in WI. Stock pistons and cylinder heads, just freshened up with stock parts. Now my next move looks to be Feuling 574c cams, S&S premium lifters and SE adjustable pushrods. This looks to give me a cooler running motor with less lifter/cam noise and a nice strong torque curve. I'm also running stock exhaust head pipes with Vance & Hines mufflers. Any thoughts or concerns in my choices ? I'm not a real hot rodder anymore. If I want to scare myself, I have a vintage XR750 flat track bike that makes over 100hp @ only 300 lbs. just saying....Thanks for your ideas, Chris  :orange:

Since you asked

The engine I assume is still apart

First thing the Fueling cam with a 45 close and stock compression is going to be a total turd till about 3500 rpm....guessing with a touring bike this is not what you were after.

Cam ?   best bet is the GMR577 or Kury 24D hands down has proven to make broad HP and torque.

You should surface the head to increase compression and since they are apart....easy call

The heads on your bike should be taken apart cleaned and the valves inspected,should also inspect the valve guides and at a

minimum the exhaust guide should be replaced with a mag bronze guide and sized properly.

The exhaust valve should be inspected for pits.....the way these things were tuned from the factory seems to have wreaked havoc on the exhaust valves and there can be and usually are pits in the seat surface......I have shown this to several customers and more than one member of this board....it is a problem and IMO the valve should be replaced and not just reground.

Ok so all that and at a minimum a valve job,you SHOULD replace the stock springs with a good quality beehive spring...there are several that work well some better than others.

Other than that careful assembly and let it rip
2011 SG Sedona Orange 105" 125/123

www.jwperf.com

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 03:26:23 PM »

I have a vintage XR750 flat track bike that makes over 100hp @ only 300 lbs.

:worthless:

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

JKM

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 08:30:28 PM »

I would agree with the comments on the minor headwork (guides and re-surface).  Suggest even milling a little to get 10:1 compression with S&S570 cam.  You need to de-cat that headpipe or get a new one.  Have a look at the headpipes by Fulsac and Fuel Moto.  They use stock heat shields.  The OEM head pipe with cat creates a lot of heat.  You'll need a tuner and a good dyno tunes after you rebuild

2008 FLHRSE4 (105 Anni)- V&H Dresser duals and slash cut mufflers, Big Sucker AI, PCV, Woods 777, JPrecision Heads

NorCalRider

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 12:33:01 PM »

Well, thanks for the input so far. This is the point of assembly that the bike is in now. The motor is assembled except for the cam chest and clutch. I really don't want to take it back apart to mill the heads. I've used all MoCo gaskets and seals up to this point. Prior to the bike being totaled, it only had 8K miles on it.
Looks like the suggestion is I should choose a different cam though. I had have seen lots of posted by HdDude and others that this cam, the Feuling 574, worked out nicely for them in stock 110 motors. So now I'll look closer at the GMR 577. Any other thoughts?
Thanks, Chris  :orange:
Sorry the picture is upside down...maybe a Mod can fix it.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 02:09:27 PM by 110 Mofo »

NorCalRider

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 02:02:58 PM »

and for those that asked... heres a picture of my XR750. its the only one i have loaded at the moment. it was taken at the vintage races in Ventura Ca. several years ago. the bike parked next to it is a 1937 Indian racer owned by my friend Tony Dodge of Dodge Bros. racing. who by the way sponcered the current #1 plate holder Brad Baker to the title last year in the GNC.   :orange:

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 02:30:23 PM »

and for those that asked... heres a picture of my XR750.

Thanks NCR!
XR750's are rolling artwork.
Your looks great.
More pictures would be wonderful!

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

bikerboy53

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • OR

• CVO1: Razor Red '07 FLHRSE3
    • CVO2: Red & Slate '10 FLHTCUSE5
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 03:21:27 PM »

... You need to de-cat that headpipe or get a new one...

The headpipe on my '07 SERK didn't come with a cat in it. It was in the mufflers instead. Maybe the EPA (or someone) figured out that it was too easy to just change the mufflers to get rid of the cat. Not sure when they went to the cat in the headpipe for sure though...
S&S T124
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
VP-016-340 Centrifugal Clutch kit
S&S PowerTune Duals w/Rinehart Touring Mufflers
Garmin Zumo 660
Bushtec Trailer

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2014, 03:35:49 PM »

The headpipe on my '07 SERK didn't come with a cat in it. It was in the mufflers instead. Maybe the EPA (or someone) figured out that it was too easy to just change the mufflers to get rid of the cat. Not sure when they went to the cat in the headpipe for sure though...

:oops: :nixweiss:
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2014, 07:47:10 PM »

The EPA didn't mandate that change, it was a Harley decision.  Other Harley models still had cats in the mufflers, and still do to this day.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 25 queries.