Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: trip planning ?  (Read 712 times)

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
  • keep the rubber side down
trip planning ?
« on: March 06, 2014, 09:06:11 PM »

I'm very curious  in trip planning  as far as how much to budget ..example say your going to Maggie Vally for CVO meeting   if your traveling alone  how do make a budget plan?  for  food, gas, hotel , souvenir's , emergency fund. 
is there a unwritten rule that most people go by like $100.00 per day ? or something 
2010 CVO Convertible  crimson red sunglo/Autumn Haze with Metal Grind Graphics
2014 113  motor 10.8 compression
SAE smoothing #5  125.7 hp / 122.9 tq
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
Re: trip planning ?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 09:08:23 PM »

have creditcard will travel. ive never tried to budget it per day, just be aware of the running total as i go
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 09:12:04 PM »

To many variables, running total is all I ever use. Gota keep enough for trip home. If things start getting tight, a loaf of bread & a pound of 'loney will go a long ways.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 09:19:26 PM »

Been thinking about the same thing as I am going to go on a 30 day ride in June. Figured subway at lunch a few days a week.  Low budget motels or camp. Not looking to spend a ton everyday but not going to scrimp either. Guess I will know when I return home how much each day cost.

2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

mnrider

• Full CVO Member
    • CO

• CVO1: 2014 CVO limited stardust silver and autumn sunset. Rinehart Slimline headers and slipons, SE extreme ventilator intake.
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 09:30:32 PM »

I'm very curious  in trip planning  as far as how much to budget ..example say your going to Maggie Vally for CVO meeting   if your traveling alone  how do make a budget plan?  for  food, gas, hotel , souvenir's , emergency fund. 
is there a unwritten rule that most people go by like $100.00 per day ? or something 

I am a "like to know" person and plan well. So I start out by mapping everything out. I look at what roads to I want to hit and map everything first down to the mile. Then I stop every hundred miles for gas and break time. I take what ever time I need no set amount. When I sit down and plan I make sure I leave a lot of extra time for unplanned stops. When I'm on the road if I see something cool check it out. I make sure I know where it will be hard to find gas so that I plan for that leg of a trip. I set up hotels/camping so that I have a end destination. My father in law just rides until it gets dark and looks for the first place to give him a room. I am not so bold. I make sure I have a plan so that I don't miss anything I want to do. I make a copy of my drivers license and insurance and keep it in the bike some where I case I loose my hard copies. I also make sure I have the cash to fix anything that may come up with in reason. So credit card that can be used or cash just make sure you have a plan. I bring part cash and most on cards. Map out a few dealers or service shops and make sure A. They are open and not shut down. B. It is fun to check out new dealers all over and grab a shirt or something. I watch weather very close so I'm not going to ride into a tornado or something crazy. I know I sound paranoid but I do have a great time on my trips. Just make a plan you are cool with. When it comes to gas I plan on about 15% more gas money then mapped out because prices are not the same and I don't want to run short on money. Hope this helps.

Branden

dahsen

• Elite CVO Member
    • QC

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout Sedona Sand
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 09:36:32 PM »

Been thinking about the same thing as I am going to go on a 30 day ride in June. Figured subway at lunch a few days a week.  Low budget motels or camp. Not looking to spend a ton everyday but not going to scrimp either. Guess I will know when I return home how much each day cost.

That's the point...  You go with what you can afford, eat well (don't have to go to fancy restaurants for that), drink a lot  ;) and ride...  Those 30 days are to be remembered!  If you want to starve, do it 30 days before or 30 days after.  Not during the trip!

gadgetz

• 1K CVO Member
    • MS

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Electric Orange & Vivid Black w/ Ghost Feather Graphics - Road Pig
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 09:39:04 PM »

Well trip budgeting can be as difficult or as simple as you want. A simple high side budget could look something like.

$100.00 per day for food
$100.00 per night for hotel
$50.00 for every 500 miles you travel, 40 miles per gallon at $4.00 per gallon price

It's all going to vary depending on your personal tastes for places to stay and food. Good luck.
Charter Member Critter Gawking Society - Got Goat?

Lars

• Senior CVO Member
  • It's not the destination, "IT'S THE RIDE"

• CVO1: 2013 SEUC8
    • CVO2: 1983 Shovelhead "Ole Black Betty"
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 10:14:10 PM »

I think on a daily total cost you are pretty close there Gadgetz.
When me and my buddy's rode to Milwaukee for the 110th we took 15 days and it cost me a a little better than $5K.
So a 30 day trip would be double or a little more depending on whether you had to just have a 5000 mile service or two or whether you had to add in the cost of new tires before you get back home.
The real thing to do is plan your trip based on a monetary amount you are comfortable with and just ride.
Remember, "It's not the destination, IT'S THE RIDE".
With old age has come the wisdom to embrace my immaturity.

Lars

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
  • keep the rubber side down
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2014, 09:37:17 PM »

thanks for good info  ;D
2010 CVO Convertible  crimson red sunglo/Autumn Haze with Metal Grind Graphics
2014 113  motor 10.8 compression
SAE smoothing #5  125.7 hp / 122.9 tq
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 21 queries.