Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Zumo 665 problem?  (Read 1465 times)

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
Zumo 665 problem?
« on: March 31, 2014, 02:37:28 AM »

I am going out of factory warranty on April 24th and have trying to make sure I "sweep" all my issues before then. I have a fantastic dealer that has gone way "above and beyond" for me since I get my bike (didn't even buy it from them as they couldn't get their hands on the Maple when I wanted it and told me which dealer in Oregon had it) as I have posted a couple of times in the past. They even warrantied my compensator and clutch basket a couple of months ago even though I have put in a 120r and a Barnett clutch.
When riding today my 665 just froze going down the freeway where even the power button would not turn out off. I had to remove the battery to get it to reset which it did. Since it is now working fine I would usually just keep a eye on it but am worried this is a sign that it is starting to "go out" but it is a lot to ask to go to my dealer to warranty it (bought it within 60 days of buying my bike and did buy it from them) when it is working fine. Is this something that the Zumo does occasionally or a sign of a large problem? Anyone have had this issue before?
Alan

2010Convertable

• I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn’t work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
  • Full CVO Member
Re: Zumo 665 problem?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 04:01:06 AM »

SDCVO, I bought a Zumo 660 that came with a 2012 CVO off of a fellow on eBay about 2 months ago. He never installed it on the bike. He sold the bike and sold the Garmin 660 to me. When I got it I tried to connect it to my computer to update it to the latest maps. I couldn't get the computer to recognize the Zumo. So I called The Garmin customer service number and talked to a tech. He spent close to a half hour on the phone with me trying to help me figure it out. Well, we never did get it figured out. He told me to send just the unit and nothing else back to them. He even told me to keep the battery as they would ship either a reconditioned unit or a new one with a new battery. Told the tech that I didn't have a receipt and he said since the other fellow had not registered it (which he check the serial number) that it was alright. Gave me a return authorization number to send with it. They sent out a new one the same day they received mine. I don't know if calling customer service would work for you, but I would give it a try. I won't cost anything except the shipping back to them if they will let you return it. Hope everything works out for you...
There's more to me than just a handsome face...
I poured root beer into a square cup. Now I just have beer.
I have a 2010 Softail CVO Convertible and a
2013 Red Switchback

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 08:03:13 AM »

I 2nd. that. Call Garmin Customer Service they are great to work with. Be advised that if you send it in they will send you a refurbished unit but it will have a warranty and a current map installed along with updated firmware and software.

jim@hdbomm.com
Ride It Like You Are Retired

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 01:42:17 PM »

I belive my unit was registered when I bought it middle of May 2012. How long will they warranty it for?
Alan

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 03:14:02 PM »

If it is a Harley Road Tech it comes with a 2 year warranty.

If it is a Zumo it has a 1 year warranty.

2010Convertable

• I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn’t work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 04:03:28 PM »

Mine was a 2012 model year and they sent me a brand new one, not refurbished. Don't know why they did, but I'm sure not going to ask.
There's more to me than just a handsome face...
I poured root beer into a square cup. Now I just have beer.
I have a 2010 Softail CVO Convertible and a
2013 Red Switchback

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 04:50:14 PM »

I've had my Street Pilot 2720 and two different Zumo 660s (a Garmin version and a Road Tech version) replaced over the years and in every case I have received a new unit. 

Last July my RT 660 was acting up and I was in the area and went by the Garmin facility in Olathe, KS.  They checked it and said, yeah, you need a new unit.  Unfortunately we are on backorder right now!  It took about three weeks before they had inventory.  Hope that is not the case now!

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

doublerunner

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra Classic Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2011 CVO Road Glide Rio Red/Ember Black
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 05:06:57 PM »

Not to get off topic but this brings up an interesting scenario if this were to happen on a 2014 bike with the infotainment system. Going to be a lot more work to get into the fairing to work on those
-------------------------------------
Enjoy the Journey

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2014, 09:04:59 AM »

If any thing goes hay wire in the infotainment system (with the exception of the CB, which is a separate module) you will have to replace the radio unit as every thing is built into the system. Pretty much like the pre 2014 models in that respect.

jim@hdbomm.com

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 25 queries.