Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Feedback on Royal Purple synthetic Cycle-Max?  (Read 1576 times)

Miss_Piggy

Feedback on Royal Purple synthetic Cycle-Max?
« on: December 23, 2006, 12:08:53 PM »

Switched to RP Racing 41 last year on both my scoots' crankcases.  Very, very happy.  RP has shifted their racing oils over to other product names, and I'm eyeing their Cycle Max 20-50W synthetic for V-Twin motors.  Both my hawgs (SERK & SERG) are past warranty, so all I'm looking for is performance.

Q. any experience w/this motor oil that y'all would care to share?   Oil change vs. just filter change suggestions?   Amazon has a good price on it; I'm thinking of picking up a case.  

p.s. still very happy since I switched to Redline Shockproof heavy-duty in the Baker 6-speed trannies.  I use decent 'whatever' stuff in the primary.

Thanks in advance.
Thunderheader w/left side falsie
Baker 6-speed
Stage 2 breather
Powercommander 3USB, custom Dyno bitmap
SE 211 cams
Adjustable pushrods

EZRIDN

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG - Paying tribute to an American legend
    • NE

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 1947 FL
    • CVO3: 2004 FXSTI
Re: Feedback on Royal Purple synthetic Cycle-Max?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 11:05:36 PM »

I'd say that you are probably among the first (or very first) on this site to use the purple stuff...most of the folks here use/recommend Amsoil products.  There are several threads and lengthy discussions on the synthetic products.   Go up to the top of the page and type in 'synthetic' in the Search, fire it off and you wil be rewarded with a plethora of threads in which you can while away the hours looking through them.  From all of that you should be able to pick up on the group's consensus on oil/filter change intervals as well.

RP does have a following in the auto racing circuits...lots of the NHRA folks like the stuff.  Have not used it myself.

ez  
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 11:06:22 PM by EZRIDN »
"My goal is to become that old person everyone is afraid to take out in public."

"I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended...please be patient...I will get to you shortly ."

HD Owners Tip #39:  "Although the manual doesn't mention it, some swearing seems to help most machines run a little better."

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 03:03:49 PM »

Miss Piggy I have not used RP so I can't help you out. Amsoil and Red Line oils in my bikes. I will tell you no filter change, it is not worth it. When you change change it all.

BTW what kind of price for the RP are you talking about?

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Miss_Piggy

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007, 12:32:18 PM »

Thanks for the replies.  

I've read many posts on lubricants (here) over the last few months.  Respectfully(!): many posts just seem to echo the consensus.   Consensus is fine(!) if it's based on independent tests, individual experience over time (one product vs. others) etc.  But sometimes consensus amounts to "I use XYZ oil because everybody else does".  

Sometimes the consensus here(?) seems based on studies w/scientific graphs, data, industry standards & terminology.  Cool.  But when studies are *purchased* by a company that sells oil..?  The 'vested interest' thing undermines the notion of scientific objectivity.  If I was oil company XYZoil, I would shop for test results that would sell my product.  No dishonesty implied (or needed)!  That's just the way it works: commercially, in a courtroom, etc.

All that just makes me a common sense "show me" kind of skeptic.  I got hooked on Royal Purple for my Cummins diesel Dodge.  Love it (and I tow boats/RV stuff over the mountains in summer).  RP is getting bigger all the time in Racing circles.  That means a lot to me: those guys have tons invested in high performance 'chinery.  Harleys? Last year I switched from Syn3 to Royal Purple Racing 41 in both my SERG & SERK: liked the look, feel and performance.  And it's concord Purple: like me!  LOL  This month: bought a case of RP Cycle-Max 20W-50 on Amazon for $120 less a $20 discount.  Loved the racing oil, but want the stabilizers found in the Cycle-Max V-Twin product.

I'll go through this case and see how things run, riding around San Diego county, Laughlin & the SW.  I am not an oil expert, and I have no vested interest in any commercial motorcycle products.

Best regards to all, thank you for your guidance and have a great SAFE 2007!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 03:38:19 PM by Miss_Piggy »
Thunderheader w/left side falsie
Baker 6-speed
Stage 2 breather
Powercommander 3USB, custom Dyno bitmap
SE 211 cams
Adjustable pushrods

TimBone

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2007, 10:15:54 PM »

I have Royal Purple Synthetic 20W50(not cycle max) in my scoot(2007 SE Ultra) now and it runs quieter and cooler than the SYN 3 Harley puts in it at the Factory.  I dumped the SYN3 at 500 miles and changed the Filter and went with straight RP 20W50.  I have a really good friend that has been running RP in his 98 Softail since new and swears by the the stuff and gave me the 4 QTs to try in the SE Ultra.  At the 1000 mile mark, I will be going to Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50(easier to get than RP) in Eng and Primary and Bel-Ray Gear Saver for the Tranny.  Hope that helps.

Bagger

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 07:38:32 AM »

I have Royal Purple Synthetic 20W50(not cycle max) in my scoot(2007 SE Ultra) now and it runs quieter and cooler than the SYN 3 Harley puts in it at the Factory.  I dumped the SYN3 at 500 miles and changed the Filter and went with straight RP 20W50.  I have a really good friend that has been running RP in his 98 Softail since new and swears by the the stuff and gave me the 4 QTs to try in the SE Ultra.  At the 1000 mile mark, I will be going to Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50(easier to get than RP) in Eng and Primary and [highlight]Bel-Ray Gear Saver for the Tranny[/highlight].  Hope that helps.

You're gonna love that stuff.  No more CLUNK.  No more whine.  Slick shifting.

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 21 queries.