Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Average oil temperatures??  (Read 6132 times)

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
Re: Average oil temperatures??
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2014, 06:56:24 AM »

FWIW, none of these numbers mean anything.  We are using oil temp readouts that are uncalibrated.  I'd not be surprised to see a 20 degree difference between 2 different ones.  As far as "safe" temps, oil needs to get above the boiling temp of water, 212F, to burn off contaminants and condensation, so I get quite a kick out of people saying their normal temps are below 200.  Conventional oil starts to break down at 300F, so there's one limit.  Synthetics will generally run 10-15F cooler, as well.  BTW, I know the last because I used a calibrated thermocouple to check my oil temps at one time, before going to synthetics.  This was on a '99, that ran a lot cooler than today's bikes, and my oil temp was still getting close to 300F on a hot day.

Now, here's my suggestion.  Note your oil temp with your dip stick.  Now forget about it unless the oil temp varies A LOT from what it is under normal circumstances.

We've seen folks become fixated on those oil temp dipstick readings, creating unwarranted stress on themselves.
Scott

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2014, 07:38:26 AM »

In comparing a Carb TC to a Carb EVO would the oil temp be lower on the TC because it has larger cooling fins on heads and cylinders? If both ran a S&S Super E with a 13:1 fuel air ratio? If not why? What am I missing?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2014, 08:37:55 AM »

Considering the fact that these are air cooled engines that undergo wide swings in operating temperature, unlike the controlled operating temperatures in your car or truck, the "normal" oil temperature isn't a single number or even a narrow range of numbers.  It is what it is, and you need to learn to stop fixating on stuff you can't do much about.  My first advice to people is to throw that dipstick in the toolbox and go back to the one that just measures oil level, which is important.  That will save you from constantly bending down to push the button so you can obsess over a ten degree rise in oil temp.

If you really can't stop obsessing, then buy a good ten row oil cooler with a thermostatically controlled fan.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2014, 10:24:19 AM »

From all the different posts I have watched seems normal range 220-260.  :drink:

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2014, 11:14:34 AM »

Considering the fact that these are air cooled engines that undergo wide swings in operating temperature, unlike the controlled operating temperatures in your car or truck, the "normal" oil temperature isn't a single number or even a narrow range of numbers.  It is what it is, and you need to learn to stop fixating on stuff you can't do much about.  My first advice to people is to throw that dipstick in the toolbox and go back to the one that just measures oil level, which is important.  That will save you from constantly bending down to push the button so you can obsess over a ten degree rise in oil temp.

If you really can't stop obsessing, then buy a good ten row oil cooler with a thermostatically controlled fan.

Jerry

Jerry, back in my younger days and the early introduction of snowmobiles in Michigan in the mid to late 60's, my parents and I had a marina and one of the items we sold was snowmobiles of multiple brands.  I think when we started there were over 100 brands of snowmobiles and now I think there is just four left for the entire market.

In the early days top speeds were in the 50 mph range at the very best.  Practically none came with speedometers.  One of the worst accessory people could buy back then was a speedo.  Not the thin black kind you wear either...

People were very happy with their machines and speeds......... Until they buy a speedo and find out they're only going 45 mph instead of their imagined 75 mph.

It then became an issue with poor performance there was nothing we could do for them other than to try to explain that this is what they've always had and it's "normal" for their sled.

Short story that's too long.  Same as the oil temp stick or gauge.

It's probably only a miracle if someone was watching their gauge and noticed it was TOO high and shut down the bike.  But what would be too high and warrant shutting down.  My belief is that "most" would just watch it go up over 300 and still not shut down before any damage was done.  Just my opinion on that though.

So if that were the case, what would the gauge do for them other than the temp when the motor seized up?
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Maladjusted

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2014, 01:28:44 PM »

Good story Dan... I have been riding sleds for 30 yrs.  I remember those days of no speedo, no suspension etc.

I just ordered a new Polaris AXYS 800HO Switchback.  155ish HP (no one has dynoed the new engine yet and Polaris isn't releasing numbers).  Walker Evans Shocks all around.  Easily crack 100 mph!

Boy things have come a long way!   :2vrolijk_21:

Sorry for the hijack!

Mal
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 01:30:27 PM by Maladjusted »
2010 FLHXSE Spicey Rum
Lots of stuff

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2014, 05:05:03 PM »

Just run a good quality synthetic oil and don't worry about the temp.  Synthetic oil will not break down at TC operating temps.  There's nothing wrong with the digital dipstick, but it's only good for a reference point.  Mostly, I always used mine just to check the oil level at gas stops, and I checked it against a "regular" dipstick and found it to be plenty accurate. I don't like getting my fingers burned, so pushing the button was just easier.  The temp was usually between 230 and 260 at those same stops, but I never worried about it.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2014, 07:13:17 AM »

Good story Dan... I have been riding sleds for 30 yrs.  I remember those days of no speedo, no suspension etc.

I just ordered a new Polaris AXYS 800HO Switchback.  155ish HP (no one has dynoed the new engine yet and Polaris isn't releasing numbers).  Walker Evans Shocks all around.  Easily crack 100 mph!

Boy things have come a long way!   :2vrolijk_21:

Sorry for the hijack!

Mal

Snowmobiles?
Rob Fuller of Madison, NY, who used to ride our AHDRA racer, had the asphalt 1/4 mile/et speed world record on a snowmobile for a period of time not long ago.
Engine was built by One Stop Performance, over in Michigan.
6.89, @ 189 mph or there abouts.
We manufactured some of the custom steering components for that Wahl Bros. chassis.
He also has an Outlaw ice/snow(not grass) sled set up for 500 ft. 135-137 mph.
Makes our big Arctic Cats(the 900 is 178 hp, and the 1000cc Thundercat is pushing over 210 hp on the dyno)look like little kittens........haha.
Scott
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 08:31:02 AM by HILLSIDECYCLE.COM »

Ridgerunr

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2014, 08:44:09 AM »

"As far as "safe" temps, oil needs to get above the boiling temp of water, 212F, to burn off contaminants and condensation, so I get quite a kick out of people saying their normal temps are below 200."

Elevation plays a role and the water can boil at a lower temp. A good read on factors that affect boiling point.
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boiling_point

Cars are liquid cooled and run lower temps than our HD's and don't have a moisture problem if driven a sufficient distance to warm it properly. Think I heard somewhere that 160°F is enough to burn off the moisture from motor oil.
2004 Roadglide 113" (sold)
2014 CVO RoadKing
2015 RGS

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2014, 05:27:04 AM »

The thermal piston jets, are designed to pull heat from the piston into the oil, on a T/C, which have been around for some time in the automotive industry.
Evo's did not have those.
Scott
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 21 queries.