Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My report on O2 closed loop  (Read 1344 times)

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
My report on O2 closed loop
« on: November 25, 2006, 08:16:38 PM »

I gave the bike a good run today, everything from slow and go traffic on the freeway, to long stretches of 75-85mpg runs. I threw in some "limited space manuevers" on the MSF course too. The bike idled fine, in fact it idled so smooth while sitting, I noticed my mirrors and bars were shaking a lot less than before. The motor behaved well at all rpms. It was almost like driving a car. My first tank of gas was 32.1mpgs. That's a bit better than the 27/29mpgs I got before the closed loop. I think slowing down and maybe leaning it out a bit at freeway speeds will help those numbers come up. I am not ready to adjust the afr yet. Tomorrow I plan to run up to 6,300ft and see how the bike performs at altitude.

The down side. The self cancelling turn signals STILL DO NOT WORK. I'll try entering some other numbers, but I really think the issue lies somewhere between the Zippers ECM and the bike. I'll see what Fitz, and Kitz say on Monday.

"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: My report on O2 closed loop
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 08:35:02 PM »

I gave the bike a good run today, everything from slow and go traffic on the freeway, to long stretches of 75-85mpg runs. I threw in some "limited space manuevers" on the MSF course too. The bike idled fine, in fact it idled so smooth while sitting, I noticed my mirrors and bars were shaking a lot less than before. The motor behaved well at all rpms. It was almost like driving a car. My first tank of gas was 32.1mpgs. That's a bit better than the 27/29mpgs I got before the closed loop. I think slowing down and maybe leaning it out a bit at freeway speeds will help those numbers come up. I am not ready to adjust the afr yet. Tomorrow I plan to run up to 6,300ft and see how the bike performs at altitude.

The down side. The self cancelling turn signals STILL DO NOT WORK. I'll try entering some other numbers, but I really think the issue lies somewhere between the Zippers ECM and the bike. I'll see what Fitz, and Kitz say on Monday.

Congrats on what reads like some gratifying progress.  Hope it continues to get better as you get more used to the system and finish dialing it in.

Seminolebagger

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 08:47:05 PM »

Ironhorse
What did it take to get the new system to work with your '01?

Thanks,
SB

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2006, 01:41:17 AM »

Ironhorse
What did it take to get the new system to work with your '01?

Thanks,
SB

I had to go and buy this cable from Thayer Sales.

http://vtwinfuelinjection.com/index.htm

It made my bike able to accept the Delphi ECM. So Zippers sent me one of their ThunderMax Delphi ECMs, and a closed loop system. The cable was a pretty easy install. The hardest part was getting the different coil mounted. I am using zip ties for now until a bracket comes in from HD. I also have an ECM mount on order too.

You see although Zippers advertised that their kit converted M&M to Delphi, it was actually "Delphi-Like", because it used the OEM M&M ECM harness and hook up. With this cable, I am now running real Delphi. I can go with an HD ECM, or S&S, or Daytona Twin-Tec as well. But I'm pretty impressed with how well the Zippers Closed Loop is running so far.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2006, 11:08:31 AM »

Glad to see that the bike is finally rideable again.  I'm sure that as you dial it in it will get even better.
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2006, 11:49:37 PM »

Today I took the bike from sea level, up to Waterman Ski Resort at 7,000 feet. The bike idled fine, no problems. The mpgs also went up to 35. That is a combination of about 100 miles of mountain riding, slow speeds, 35-45 up and down winding curves, and the rest was freeway at about 75-85.

This morning before I left I leaned it out to about 13.8 at 27 degrees throttle between 2,900 - 3200 rpms. I also changed the speedo calibration setting, to no avail, the turn signals still do not self cancel. I'll continue to adjust the afr at freeway speeds.

While the bike does continue to run smoother, I did notice a few things. The front O2 sensor is blue, while the rear one is not. I wonder why that is? Also, the bike runs a little rough in second gear at about 2,800rpms. I wonder if that will tune itself out eventually? I also wonder if by continuing to ride in that rough spot, if the ECM will be forced to tune it out?

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 21 queries.