Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to check the compensator??  (Read 4013 times)

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
How to check the compensator??
« on: May 01, 2014, 05:25:56 PM »

With all discussion and issues with the compensator.  I was wondering...is there a way to check or inspect the compensator to determine that it is out of spec before it start to making primary noise?

I had mine replaced at 30k and I am creeping up on that mileage again.  Would like to do some pre-maintenance if possible.

Thanks much.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: How to check the compensator??
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 06:10:54 PM »

With all discussion and issues with the compensator.  I was wondering...is there a way to check or inspect the compensator to determine that it is out of spec before it start to making primary noise?

I had mine replaced at 30k and I am creeping up on that mileage again.  Would like to do some pre-maintenance if possible.

Thanks much.

There are a couple ways to know if your compensator is deteriorating.  Listening to it - clunking on acceleration and deceleration. And looking at it, which requires it's removal. 

If you don't hear a steady increase in noise (over time) coming from your primary, odds are it is still functional.  As the ramps and cams wear, the preload of the compensator lessens, which causes noise...  That's your best indicator.
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Classic Beast

• Elite CVO Member
    • BC

• Bob McImages
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 03:44:08 AM »

Does anyone know a source of dimension checks that could be done like the preload spring height etc, I've never had one of these new ones apart so not sure if they are a similar in design to the older style. I have just ordered a DD7 and while I have it apart hopefully I can address any compensator issues to prevent problems in the future, even replacing it with a different brand, the motor is stock and not ridden hard very often.
2012 Road glide ultra 103
DD7 Baker, S&S 570, Fulsac DX, 2"
SE CNC heads 58mm throttle body
95 FLSTN
127" Ultima
DD6 Baker
3 X PM 6 piston calipers
S&S Clutch
Lindal Ceramic discs
RB Black Hole pipe
Thunderstar mags
6 gal tanks
Custom Chrome front end
Rear chain drive
150WW Avon Venom rear tire
2009 Cadillac CTS-V

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 08:04:59 AM »

Does anyone know a source of dimension checks that could be done like the preload spring height etc, I've never had one of these new ones apart so not sure if they are a similar in design to the older style. I have just ordered a DD7 and while I have it apart hopefully I can address any compensator issues to prevent problems in the future, even replacing it with a different brand, the motor is stock and not ridden hard very often.

There are no different brand options for the compensator.  No one offers an alternative.  The current MOCO option SE compensator has added in internal baffle tray that attempts to better distribute the primary lubrication to the internals of the mechanism.  An aftermarket lubrication baffle called the Compensavor can be added.  It is sold by site member GMRPerformance. 

http://www.gmrperformance.com/compensaver/
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 11:37:00 AM »

BDL makes one....haven't read anything on it and not sure if it offers enough cushion for the motor.

http://www.beltdrives.com/chcomp.html

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 12:35:04 PM »

BDL makes one....haven't read anything on it and not sure if it offers enough cushion for the motor.

http://www.beltdrives.com/chcomp.html

It offers virtually no cushion.  It's not a viable option for engines with stock crankshafts...  The whole purpose of the compensator is to protect the drivetrain from shock loads.  The SE compensator accomplishes that goal nicely, it just wears out extraordinarily quickly.  It wasn't an issue until the MOCO came out with the cruise drive in the '07 models.  The cruise drive places tremendous load on the crankshaft as compared to pre-07 model year bikes.  I believe the MOCO engineers underestimated this load and have revised the compensator (4) times since, still with failed results.  It's as ridiculous as the ongoing lifter failures....

That said, I'd still rather have a compensator that protects the drivetrain but wears out prematurely than a compensator that last the life of the bike, but does not protect the drivetrain.  Poor options either way for sure...    :nixweiss:
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 12:36:53 PM by sadunbar »
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2014, 02:18:12 PM »

That said, I'd still rather have a compensator that protects the drivetrain but wears out prematurely than a compensator that last the life of the bike, but does not protect the drivetrain.  Poor options either way for sure...    :nixweiss:

Agreed..they both suck.........Thinking belt drive for the next one

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 21 queries.