Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Another insurance thread  (Read 3447 times)

PinkE

• Senior CVO Member
Re: Another insurance thread
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2014, 07:53:35 AM »

One more suggestion for older bikes, like mine, go to your local Harley dealer and ask them to give you a free appraisal, most will, some will charge you a small fee, add all the accessories you have on these bikes, then take that appraisal to your insurance company.  The blue book on some of these bikes is a lot lower than what we have invested in them.  I also carry an Umbrella policy for 1mil....Also, read reviews from your state on company payoffs...I had State Farm my whole life In NY, never any problems...here in Indiana, there terrible, slow to pay and there reviews were terrible.  I just switched all my Ins to Celina from Ohio...most of my neighbors did too....Jswerve, have a good ride home....
MY Broom is an `04 FLHTCUI Lehman Trike and I Love flyin on it!!!

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2014, 09:32:01 AM »

One more suggestion for older bikes, like mine, go to your local Harley dealer and ask them to give you a free appraisal, most will, some will charge you a small fee, add all the accessories you have on these bikes, then take that appraisal to your insurance company.  The blue book on some of these bikes is a lot lower than what we have invested in them.  I also carry an Umbrella policy for 1mil....Also, read reviews from your state on company payoffs...I had State Farm my whole life In NY, never any problems...here in Indiana, there terrible, slow to pay and there reviews were terrible.  I just switched all my Ins to Celina from Ohio...most of my neighbors did too....Jswerve, have a good ride home....

Thank you. Looks like sunny skies in Iowa, IL, and IN tomorrow. Hoping the bike is in a good mood as well! Thanks for the great tips on insurance.

Jesse

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2014, 01:53:59 PM »

I just changed my insurance yesterday, I'll post the changes later. Doubled my coverages for about $125 a year extra.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2014, 05:45:36 PM »

Looking to change mine as well....Foremost just raised me to over $1k for my 11 SESG and my wife's 09 Softail Deluxe. Went up close to $150 this year with no violations or accidents and the bikes are another year older. Now Time to price this around a bit.

Royalroadie

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KS

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2014, 09:13:15 PM »

Yeah get the 1-2 million umbrella if you can. If you have really good health you do not have to have bodily on yourself but you should if you have a passenger.   I was flabbergasted when I got my quote from my ins guy who carries all of my ins but life which I bought on my own.  I have very good coverage.   I went from a 2000 yamaha road star to a 2012 cvo SG and my premium only  went up $20 a yr.  I had him run the numbers again double checking the vin and numbers and he came back and said it was correct.   It told him to send that in a letter.  I pay around $400 a year in Kansas.
V&H Power Dual Header
Rinehart 4"

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2014, 09:20:52 PM »

Quote from: Royalroadie link=topic=95860.msg1246676#msg1246676 date=14048. If you have really good health you do not have to have bodily on yourself
[/quote

I have to ask what does having good  health have to do with getting hit by a car and slammed to the ground?
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2014, 09:41:08 PM »

I'm fairly certain that he meant "good health insurance" as this was the point of the discussion.
Not "if you're healthy"
Rhetorical questions, who needs 'em?

2010FLHTCUSE5
Dethroned Garage Queen, Sullied 2013

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2014, 07:44:57 AM »

Some company group medical plans have excluded certain 'high risk' activities and include motorcycling in that class.  The American Motorcyclist Assn has been lobbying congress for years to correct this oversight.  As the FAQ below states they cannot exclude you from enrolling in the coverage based on your activities but may deny coverage for injuries sustained while participating in that activity.

Can a plan deny benefits otherwise provided for the treatment of an injury based on the source of that injury?

A plan may exclude coverage for injuries that do not result from a medical condition or domestic violence, such as injuries sustained in high risk activities (for example, bungee jumping). But the plan could not exclude an individual from enrollment for coverage because the individual participated in bungee jumping.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2014, 09:52:02 AM »

So what about the Harley, "we've got you covered" insurance flyers I get in the mail?  They say get a free quote etc.

Has anyone ever used Harley's insurance?  I'm sure they have an underwriter, but it's at least marketed by Harley.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

ultrarider123

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2014, 10:08:21 AM »

So what about the Harley, "we've got you covered" insurance flyers I get in the mail?  They say get a free quote etc.

Has anyone ever used Harley's insurance?  I'm sure they have an underwriter, but it's at least marketed by Harley.

Dan, they do give you a free quote and fairly quick.  Called and requested a quote about 5 years ago and after they input the information of where you live, age, tickets, accidents...general information stuff along with what coverage you currently have their quote was quite a bit higher than what I was paying with Farm Bureau.  Obviously, I did not proceed with purchasing.  They quoted me $580/year for full coverage on my 09 Street Glide with similar coverage I that I had with FB.  I was paying just a hair over $300/year with da Bureau.  I believe their underwriter was Progressive at that time...not sure that's who they are using today.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2014, 05:32:40 PM »

As of two days ago, still Progressive.

MV 2013

Timbuck2

• AK

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2014, 02:30:16 AM »

I say get all you can afford that pays for anything medical related for you and your wife. We had Progressive, coverage on motorcycle was good but we were a little THIN on medical related things for us. Just as an example we had two Medivac Helicopter rides that cost $35,000 each.
So you can't have to much coverage

Medivac's here in Alaska are very expensive.  I have heard of medivac's approaching 100K.   If you live in a rural area and go to the hospital you could still be medivaced to a larger hospital because the smaller hospital was not equipped to deal with you, if you have serious injuries.  There is medivac insurance that a lot of people up here purchase and the family plan covers you and your family nationwide.   I know of folks in the Western states that have it.   I think I have pretty good medical insurance, but they are only going to pay a certain percentage leaving the rest for you to pay.   As an example, if my insurance pays 80% of the above 35K that is 28K, leaving you with 7K to pay.  That is a chunk of change for most people.  The family plan is $125/yr.   Cheap insurance in my book, hope I never have to use it.    Here is the link:

http://www.apollomt.com/

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2014, 12:36:21 PM »

Looking at the Apollo website, it appears to have a very defined range of coverage. And I see nothing where there is an coverage for non apollo flights.
That said, if taking a bike trip to Alaska the 3 week plan might be a wise investment.

MV 2013

Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 25 queries.