Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cams - Exhaust - Tune - Want a little more, what next?  (Read 1592 times)

FAST380

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 . . . . . Fullsac X-Pipe - 2.25" baffles - Fueling 574 Cam's - TTS Tuner - 30 Tooth Pully W/Stock Belt- Wild One 575 Bars - Chrome Inner Primary - Kuryakyn Plate frame 9182 - Diamond Engineering Polished SS Bolt Kit - 8" Windvest - Black Agitator
Cams - Exhaust - Tune - Want a little more, what next?
« on: June 10, 2014, 04:14:49 PM »

2011 SESG
Fueling 574 Cams
TTS Tuner
Fullsac X pipe
Fullsac 2.5 cores (yeah I know they aren't the best performance wise)

attached Dyno, it lists 2.25 cores, but I have 2.5's now.

I don't want to spend tons of money, and I don't want to add major amounts of heat. I want more everywhere, but I guess I would say more low end torque is what I really want.

Will a .030 head gasket do much for me, or just a waist of my time?
Head work?
Different exhaust?

What would the next logical step be to kick it up a little?

Thanks!

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: Cams - Exhaust - Tune - Want a little more, what next?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 06:24:18 PM »

Headwork and compression. 
The best you've had is the best you know.

MadCVORG

• '11 FLTRUSE
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 07:43:28 PM »

x2.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 07:46:43 PM »

Nitrous.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 07:50:41 PM »

Nitrous.

It's fun.  Then when it lunches the bottom end you can say you enjoyed every minute of the time spent necessitating the 124"!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 07:55:00 PM »

It's fun.  Then when it lunches the bottom end you can say you enjoyed every minute of the time spent necessitating the 124"!

Yeah, you're right Don.  I got carried away and forgot we were talking about a late model Harley bottom end.

Jerry ;)
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 11:13:15 PM »

Yeah, you're right Don.  I got carried away and forgot we were talking about a late model Harley bottom end.

Jerry ;)

Going to take a different tack here for a minute Jerry.  Mother Harley earns so much of the opprobrium it gets.  So much of what is delivered is half-assed (nay, even quarter-assed) at best. It's not even minor stuff either. 

Sure, they had a mere years' worth of radios banging off riser bolts, they couldn't keep tires from cupping even after creating a spec/size combination that narrowed the supplier base down to themselves in some cases, wheel bearings suddenly became crap, massive paint issues that were handled with incredible inconsistency and (too often) difficulty and a host of other smaller issues begged our attention.

But it's not just issues as ostensibly minor (relatively speaking of course, remembering that the only "minor" surgery is that which is performed on someone else) as those listed above.  Sure, they can still create a spiffy new "infotainment" system that isn't any more effective as a GPS than systems on the shelf several years ago or new water cooling systems that aren't quite yet housebroken when sent to the street.  But it really is the big stuff that keeps recurring that is the greater harbinger of its own ill fate.  Engine issues of different stripes that continually recur basically since the SEEG's 103" motor went away are coupled with a dealer network that is nonpareil among nationally franchised members of the American automotive industry (but so not in a good way).

Huh, when I started this little post I didn't think it through.  The thought occurred of a reverse of Mark Anthony speaking of Brutus; lay bare the bloodied bones of the company's hubris, arrogance and mistakes and optimistically pivot at the end to progress and a focus on at least some small optimism on the near and mid term future product.  But, as I said, I didn't think it through before starting...  I'm not sure I see it. 

No particular piton on which to climb toward optimism when looking at what the Mother supplies us or the manner in which she deals with us.  One would think there would be something....   Oh... though years behind the rest of the automotive industry (and Honda and BMW bikes) the linked brakes and ABS have rolled out with minimal hassle (especially by Harley standards).  And the CAN bus has seemed to roll out ok.  That's all I got though.  Man, how sad is that...

FAST380

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 . . . . . Fullsac X-Pipe - 2.25" baffles - Fueling 574 Cam's - TTS Tuner - 30 Tooth Pully W/Stock Belt- Wild One 575 Bars - Chrome Inner Primary - Kuryakyn Plate frame 9182 - Diamond Engineering Polished SS Bolt Kit - 8" Windvest - Black Agitator
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2014, 11:40:39 PM »

Ummm...........

INDEPENDENT_1

• Superior Performance
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • independentmcshop.com
    • independentmcshop.com
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2014, 08:40:06 PM »

Skip any opportunity for disappointment via, lower power than you hoped for, having to jump for more power again when you get bored with the new build, flywheels moving, etc., etc. and buy an S&S T124 crate motor and sell your other parts to help offset the cost and have a warranty and have no regrets.
Specializing in American V-Twin and Authorized Factory Pro 4 Gas Dyno Tuning!

independentmcshop.com

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2014, 10:11:01 PM »

A head gasket change, tman cam and a se58 tb plus the 2.25 baffles woul be all that is needed and it will come on fast snd hard right off idle

Classic Beast

• Elite CVO Member
    • BC

• Bob McImages
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2014, 09:31:32 AM »

My buddy had a 2006 duece and wanted some extra power I suggested to just buy a complete Motor as I did, swap it out as everthing is matched and you still have your old motor to sell but the dealer talked him into a 95 kit so $10,000 later (more than the replacement motor) it did run good but it was no match for the 124 we were looking at an no extra motor to sell when he did sell the bike it didn't add anything to the value, go for the complete motor.
2012 Road glide ultra 103
DD7 Baker, S&S 570, Fulsac DX, 2"
SE CNC heads 58mm throttle body
95 FLSTN
127" Ultima
DD6 Baker
3 X PM 6 piston calipers
S&S Clutch
Lindal Ceramic discs
RB Black Hole pipe
Thunderstar mags
6 gal tanks
Custom Chrome front end
Rear chain drive
150WW Avon Venom rear tire
2009 Cadillac CTS-V

FAST380

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2014, 11:43:56 AM »

I would love to do a 124, but I already have too much money into this bike. So what specifically would an alternative be? High compression pistons? 10.5:1? .030 head gasket? How are the heads stock? Just a simple clean up? Major overhaul? Jim HD-dude did the cams etc and I will be reaching out to him for advise also, was just looking for other opinions also. Jim you can chime in here also  ;D

I am in the mountains with little cell coverage so who knows how this post will turn out.

Thanks for the advise

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 25 queries.