Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: mushy front brake lever  (Read 959 times)

CVO AV8R

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Break out
mushy front brake lever
« on: June 12, 2014, 08:15:17 PM »

I had a mushy front brake lever and took it to the dealership to have them bleed the brake line. Everything was great and then during my ride the lever would get mushy and then tighten back up sometimes. Once i got back from my ride I was just wiping it down after and found this. Looks like another trip to the dealership :-\

mark

Re: mushy front brake lever
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 10:18:16 PM »

If that's drops of fluid from the reservoir, make sure it stays off the paint...it will permanently mar the finish.  Could be several things...too much fluid, reservoir screws too tight which is deforming the rubber gasket.  BTW, those screws should be snug, not gorilla tight.  I'm sure others will add some ideas.

CVOSE Breakout

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 05:06:26 PM »

Yep, god chance of screws being too tight. After my first service my started leaking too but didnt have the lever issue. Possibly too much fluid. Dave

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 07:19:19 PM »

If I remember correctly, the torque for those master cylinder cover screws is only 10 inch-pounds.  In other words, snug them up with just your fingers on the screwdriver.

As for the mushy feel, perhaps the same guy who left you with that brake fluid leak didn't do such a hot job bleeding the brakes either.  If you can, find out if he followed the full procedure for ABS brakes which requires using the Digital Technician to cycle the ABS pump and valves.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

CVO AV8R

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Break out
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 09:08:23 PM »

Ok, good to know. thanks for your help guys

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 21 queries.