Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rear Tire Wear & True-Track  (Read 933 times)

FXD_TG

Rear Tire Wear & True-Track
« on: June 27, 2014, 12:13:00 AM »

Has anyone found an alternative tire with the load rating our touring bikes need for a 180/55?

Has anyone installed a rear stabilizer on a newer CVO touring bike (e.g., '12, '13 OR '14)?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 08:02:43 AM by FXD_TG »

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
Re: Rear Tire Wear & True-Track
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 12:29:24 AM »

I put the True_Track on mine and it made a huge difference in high speed sweepers as far as took away any speed wobble. I felt for me it was worth the $ just for the safety reasons and piece of mind but I'm sure many will not agree with me. it has virtually eliminated any wobble
Alan

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 01:07:37 AM »

1b.  We're still stuck with the Harley Dunlop proprietary tire since it's still the only one with the load rating for Touring bikes.  Real Ex-Lax smooth move by them.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 10:11:42 AM »

2. True-Track Rear Stabilizer: I've checked the archives and don't see where there's been any traffic related to installing True-Track stabilizers on the CVO touring bikes since around 2009.  Perhaps it's just the rear tire wear, but on last weekend's trip through the mountains to Blue Ridge, GA, our CVORK definitely felt sloppy in the tighter corners, which was reminiscent of the stability issues I have on my Dyna Wide Glide.  I solved the Dyna's issues by buying the CVORK... which is to say it hardly gets ridden and when I do ride it it's solo around town.
     a. Has anyone installed a rear stabilizer on a newer CVO touring bike (e.g., '12, '13 OR '14)?
     b. If so, was it a True-Track or something else?
     c. Did it make a difference or is it a $419 placebo?

TIA

Would the change in the touring frame in 2009 be the reason?

:oops: :nixweiss:
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 10:30:15 AM »

Even with the new frame the dreaded wobble still happens to some. I have always thought some do and some don't and so far I have a don't and feel bad for those that do. A very scary experience for sure.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2014, 12:08:31 PM »

The reason you don't see much in the archives since 2009 has to do with the complete redesign of the frame, swingarm, and engine mounting system that occurred for the 2009 model year.  While still not perfect, the result is so much better than what existed previously that MOST owners of the late model bikes have seen no need to install devices that were designed for the old "flexible flyer" design that ran from around 1980 up through 2008.  Even though the need has been eliminated or greatly reduced, the folks selling the various stabilizer products have continued to promote their products as if we were still back in the old days.  Placebo or actual measureable benefit is up to each individual I suppose, but IF the stock setup isn't worn or out of spec for whatever reason, I'd guess more placebo.  And if there really is something wrong with the bike, I think I'd rather spend the money to fix the real problem versus spending $500 on a bandaid that may partially cover up the real problem.  But that's just me and how I view things.

As for the strange feeling in the twisties, once the tire starts to become squared off you can expect that regardless of the rigidity of the swingarm and mounts.  It's been that way on every bike I've ever owned, not just Harley's, and you don't necessarily realize how the feel has changed until you mount a new tire.  How did the bike feel when the tire was new?

There is no valid alternative to the Harley branded Dunlop 18" rear btw.  You have to look at load rating and the rim width the tire was designed for, and the stock rims are only 5.00" wide.  So even if someone did have an 18" tire with the proper load range, most 180-18" tires I've researched require a wider rim.  Harley got you guys good.  Anyone who absolutely wants to go with different tires needs to change the stock wheels to something else that is compatible with tires that are available elsewhere.  That would be an expensive proposition, and explains why very few have decided to go that route. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

mark

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 10:30:38 AM »

"While I expected the transition in and out of corners to suffer a bit I was surprised at the amount of tire noise I'm getting any time the bike is leaned-over in a cornering maneuver."

I've got the stock tires on my 2010 SESG, and yes, when going thru a curve or the twisties, I get rear tire noise that I don't get otherwise.

twinotter

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2014, 01:34:18 PM »

Whenever I encounter differences in handling, the first thing I check is AIR PRESSURE in the tires!! You should run your tires at the MAX the TIRE Mfg rec all the time. Pressure even 2lbs below cause undue heat and wear, and cupping. A low tire wear flatter quicker and leaves the outer edges scalloped, resulting in the buzzsaw noises you hear. Check the HD specs against the tire Mfg specs, use the tire mfg specs for best results. Its even more critical on heavily loaded bikes!!  Fwiw twinotter

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2014, 07:54:49 PM »

i just put new shoes on mine, no more noise & handles like new again  :2vrolijk_21: and ya it sux that HD has us locked in for tires  :nixweiss:
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 21 queries.