Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 240 tire research and selection  (Read 1586 times)

ematicic

• Full CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2013 Break Out
240 tire research and selection
« on: July 10, 2014, 09:38:42 AM »

Greetings All. I guess soemthing changed and I can now access this site from work. I am just hanging something here that I had posted on another forum incase it helps anyone. I look forward to see what others are doing for tires.

//

Had the bike almost a year now and right around 7000 miles. The stock Dunlop is down to the little HD wear indicators and I have a long summer of riding to do. There are many tire threads (as opposed to few tire treads) but none really targeted the 240 tires so I am trying to decide. I like Amazon for Compare / Contrast. Both 1 and 2 choices ship from PinwallCycle parts so if anyone has feedback on them, I would love to hear it also.

The Metzeler looks like my first choice so far based on looks and research.

Amazon.com: Metzeler ME880 Marathon XXL Tire - Rear - 240/40R-18 , Position: Rear, Rim Size: 18, Tire Application: Cruiser, Tire Size: 240/40-18, Tire Type: Street, Load Rating: 79, Speed Rating: (V), Tire Construction: Radial 1568300: Automotive
 Amazon.com: Metzeler ME880 Marathon XXL Tire - Rear - 240/40R-18 , Position: Rear, Rim Size: 18, Tire Application: Cruiser, Tire Size: 240/40-18, Tire Type: Street, Load Rating: 79, Speed Rating: (V), Tire Construction: Radial 1568300: Automotive
Good tire normally with good reviews. $223.00 on Amazon

I have read many good reviews about the Michelin Commanders from the touring community but no real input in regards to the 240 size. This is my second choice.

Amazon.com: Michelin Commander II Cruiser Rear Tire - 240/40ZR-18/--: Automotive
 Amazon.com: Michelin Commander II Cruiser Rear Tire - 240/40ZR-18/--: Automotive
Close in price at $212.95.

A third worthy contender (added as edit) thanks ot T~S's input from Avon:
https://www.denniskirk.com/543348.sk...FaVxOgodiX4AeA
Same price as the others and even more positive reviews.

The OEM tire seems unreasonably costly from the dealer at 314.95.
Dunlop Tire Series- D407 240/40R18 Blackwall- 18 in. Rear-41688-08A | Tires | Official Harley-Davidson Online Store

but there seems to be a comparable Dunlop available in the same dimensions for 208.50:

Amazon.com: Dunlop Motorcycle 408088 ELITE 3 240/40R18 REAR: Automotive
 Amazon.com: Dunlop Motorcycle 408088 ELITE 3 240/40R18 REAR: Automotive
I plan on taking the wheel off and just bringing in the wheel to have the tire balanced and rotated than slapping it back on myself so I dont really care about OEM. Does someone have experience / feedback on any tire I have not considered?

Am I being overly stingy about not matching the front and back? I can get a few more thousand miles out of the front.

// Update //

I went with the Metzeler and enjoyed it for 30 miles already, mostly in the rain. It is rounder than the stock Dunlop for sure. I could almost sit at a light without dropping my feet on the Dunlop. The Metzeler seemed to corner better but since it was new and the roads were wet, I didn't get on it too hard.

Overall, I did get 7500 miles on my stock tire. I probably should have changed it at 7000 when it hit the HD wear indicators. At 7500 it would not have passed inspection and the wear indicators were just slightly visible.

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 21 queries.