Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ohlins Front Cartridges??  (Read 5026 times)

b407driver

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Ultra
Ohlins Front Cartridges??
« on: December 23, 2014, 12:07:21 AM »

Is anybody running the Ohlins FKC101 cartridges in their front forks? I have a set of Ohlins shocks in the back, and once I got them set up correctly, they are waaaayyy better than stock. Since I'm going to replace the handlebars soon (C'mon Santa!), I figured I may as well upgrade the front end since a good portion of the labor will be done already. The Ohlins are pricey and I'm wondering if they are worth the premium over the Progressive Monotubes.

SmokeyJoe

• 2012 RGC CVO
  • Elite CVO Member
    • MS

• CVO1: 2012 Road Glide
Re: Ohlins Front Cartridges??
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 12:47:48 PM »

I have them and like them just fine.  Not sure what you mean about the labor, but if that's how your justifying the upgrade to the suspension who am I to argue  -  go for it :)
FuelMotos exhaust and tuning, Ohlins Front/Rear

red ben59

• 1K CVO Member
  • ALL GAVE SOME SOME GAVE ALL
    • NC

• CVO1: 08 FXDSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2014, 08:39:56 AM »

I have them and like them just fine.  Not sure what you mean about the labor, but if that's how your justifying the upgrade to the suspension who am I to argue  -  go for it :)
I think he's talking about having the front fairing apart (labor wise). Can't speak about the ohlins but I had the H.D. dual front cartridge premium ride kit installed on the 13 and loved the improvement it made to the handling, having done to the 14 right now. I doubt the H.D. cartridge is as good as the ohlin but for the money I feel it's a great modification. IMHO  :apple: :jalapeno: :apple: :jalapeno: :apple:

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2014, 08:49:16 PM »

I am sure the fronts would be great.  I had progressive 944 on CVO in the rear and the Progressive monotubes up front.  Both were a big improvement.  I have Ohlins on the rear of my 15 CVO RGU, and they blow the progressive 944's away.

Seriously thinking of doing Ohiln front and rear on my 13 CVO King as I doubt I will ever sell that bike. 
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

b407driver

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 12:33:27 AM »

Santa was good, not only did he leave new bars (WO575), he left a gift card for the labor to install said bars. I ordered the Ohlins front cartridges so I can have it done all at once....can't wait.   :pepper:

SmokeyJoe

• 2012 RGC CVO
  • Elite CVO Member
    • MS

• CVO1: 2012 Road Glide
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 02:59:37 AM »

Santa was good, not only did he leave new bars (WO575), he left a gift card for the labor to install said bars. I ordered the Ohlins front cartridges so I can have it done all at once....can't wait.   :pepper:

You lucky dog!  I guess I was not as good as I thought I was this year.
FuelMotos exhaust and tuning, Ohlins Front/Rear

b407driver

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 12:28:47 PM »

The front cartridges arrived yesterday, but unfortunately I had to head out to work and won't be home for a week. I'll give a review once they go in.....figure about 2 weeks.

Mr. Warlock

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - unnamed
    • CVO2: 2011 Softail Convertable "Bourbon Betty" - Traded
    • CVO3: 2005 SE FatBoy - Sold
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2015, 06:27:14 AM »

The front cartridges arrived yesterday, but unfortunately I had to head out to work and won't be home for a week. I'll give a review once they go in.....figure about 2 weeks.

What bike are you installing these on?
Lived hard and fast, laughed harder than humans have a right to and continue to do so.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2015, 08:37:18 AM »

I'm following this thread as the fronts are on my "to mod" list.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

garya1

• Full CVO Member
  • 2015 CVORG and a host of others
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2015, 01:11:23 PM »

For those with 14 or 15 CVO the FKC101 will not work. The factory rep. told me the FKC102 will be out by the end of February. I will wait for them as opposed to the progressive units.
I have had a passion to ride since age 10 when Dad told me I would NEVER have a motorcycle!

Steven

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2015, 05:40:44 PM »

I've got ohlins cartridges on the front, and rear shocks on my CVO Fat Bob, the difference is night and day.
HD do really put crap on their bikes.

b407driver

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2015, 04:38:45 PM »

What bike are you installing these on?

2012 CVO Ultra

b407driver

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2015, 11:33:26 PM »

Got the bike back today with the Ohlins cartridges and the WO575's installed and I am extremely pleased. I only got a chance to put about 30-40 miles on the new set-up, but I can say the ride quality is greatly improved. The small, sharp bumps that used to jar the bars, floorboards and my butt are well controlled now. I have a compliant but controlled ride on the highway. I am heading out of town for work for the next 7 days, so it will be awhile before I can report on how it handles the twisties, but I do expect big improvements over stock.

Just for comparison, I also have a Goldwing with Progressive Monotubes installed. I also did All Balls steering head bearings and a stiffened triple tree at the same time on the Wing. The Monotubes also gave me a big inprovement in ride quality. The only drawback with the progressives were a one-size-fits-all spring selection. The Ohlins came with springs matched to my weight & riding style. I guess the big question is: Are the $980 Ohlins better than the $260 Progressives? My answer is yes.....are they $700 better?......subjective, to be sure, but I am happy with the result.

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 26 queries.