Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: primary chain adjuster  (Read 5654 times)

elderjim

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MI

• CVO1: 2007 SE Ultra Classic
primary chain adjuster
« on: November 08, 2014, 04:39:32 PM »

Has anyone tried the Screaming Eagle Manual Primary Chain Adjuster? This winter I was going to change the compensator and I am considering also changing the adjuster also. I don't like the fact that the auto adjuster will tighten up on it's own. My 1998 and all the older bikes had manual adjusters on them. Also has anyone tried the Screaming Eagle compensator ? I believe from 2014 on that's what comes on tnem from the factory.
Then the master said to the servant, " Go into the highways and hedges, and compel them to come in,that my house may be filled."

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: primary chain adjuster
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 07:24:40 PM »

Has anyone tried the Screaming Eagle Manual Primary Chain Adjuster? This winter I was going to change the compensator and I am considering also changing the adjuster also. I don't like the fact that the auto adjuster will tighten up on it's own. My 1998 and all the older bikes had manual adjusters on them. Also has anyone tried the Screaming Eagle compensator ? I believe from 2014 on that's what comes on tnem from the factory.

The SE Compensator was first installed by the factory on 2010 Touring CVO's.  So anyone with a 2010 or later Touring CVO has tried at least one of the several versions.  If you decide to install one, make sure you get the latest version that was released in 2014.  It hasn't exactly been a trouble free product; search on the site for threads about the SE compensator.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 09:46:38 PM »

I installed the SE adjuster and removed it, it made to much noise for me, will sale it $100 shiped in the states  compensator... I'm on my third one, it makes noise so I'm waiting for the next best fix
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

digga25

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 serg
    • CVO2: 2010 sesg
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 10:11:02 PM »

I had the auto adjuster on my 09 cvo rg was too tight.Switched to a hayden auto tensioner and broke that one,crack in the plastic peice.Went back to the stock auto tensioner but I adjusted it so the chain had about 5/8 of an inch of play then tack welded the adjusting teeth.Checked the tension a couple of times when changing oil.Still the same play in the chain.Its pretty quiet so its good to go.

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2014, 11:41:43 PM »

I installed the SE adjuster and removed it, it made to much noise for me, will sale it $100 shiped in the states  compensator... I'm on my third one, it makes noise so I'm waiting for the next best fix
I did the same thing. Needed up going with the Hayden unit. Has worked well so far. Easier shifting and checked it after 2000 miles and wearing correctly. Very quite.
Alan

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 10:18:55 AM »

I did the same thing. Needed up going with the Hayden unit. Has worked well so far. Easier shifting and checked it after 2000 miles and wearing correctly. Very quite.
  i went that route also, and pulled it after 5k miles, chain was slapping/clunking, so to date the stock unit has worked the best, except it got the chain to tight once and took out the main bearing  :nixweiss: this whole primary thing is a PITA!!! but i must say it worked ok before i fixed the motor... my theory, work on it till its broke

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 10:42:08 AM »

I haven't heard a single "fully satisfied" report on the SE manual chain adjuster yet.  If you want an alternative choice, and don't want to consider a Hayden, you might want to look at the manual adjuster from Baker. 

http://bakerdrivetrain.com/attitude-chain-adjuster

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

HDGearHead

• Full CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
    • CVO2: 2007 FLSTN
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2014, 12:10:32 PM »

Can the Baker manual tensioner be installed with the Compensaver?

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 120r motor Black Diamond/Crimson Tag Graphics
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2014, 03:39:51 PM »

For the price of a compensaver ($200) you can almost get the latest SE compensator (after a 20% discount). I'd consider a compensaver if I could get a cvoharley discount but if not I'll just buy a new compensator if it fails or get it replaced under warranty or wait until the moco comes out with a newer improved version or an inner primary that lubes the compensator like they did with the latest version of the (outer) primary cover.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 03:51:43 PM by rheiner »

snowrider13

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2014, 04:59:47 PM »

You say the HD manual was noisy. What type of noise, slapping, whine, clunkier shift? Looking to do a change over the winter myself.

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2014, 07:03:05 PM »

You say the HD manual was noisy. What type of noise, slapping, whine, clunkier shift? Looking to do a change over the winter myself.
sounded like an old belt sander, as far as shifting and chain slapping goes that was good, just the noise was bad loud.

cmashark

• Senior CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2021 FLHXSE
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2014, 02:20:24 PM »

The only bad thing about the baker is that I would have to pull the compensator sproket to install.  My comp is working great, so I don't want to touch it yet.  Not sure is the Hayden will get me where I need to be either.  It looks like it would be prone to letting the chain slap where it leaves the comp sprocket.  Heck their own video shows that it is nearly slapping when they blip the throttle.

How long did any of you run the SE manual adjuster?  I know y'all said it was noisey...  Wish I could here one.

Chris
Chris

2021 FLHXSE

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 25 queries.