Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: charging system questions  (Read 909 times)

easttnrhino

• Full CVO Member
charging system questions
« on: August 08, 2014, 07:49:43 AM »

Not sure if I am posting in right spot, but here goes I have a 2011 FLTRUSE and love it now have 43,000 miles on it and as you all know it came with plenty of gadgets to pull on the charging system (grips, seats, amp,) I have added the daymaker head lights but thought they pulled less than the stock head lights, also have added ward works fans and I am happy with the cooling my bike does rattle and ping like it did before the addition of them. But my question is when in traffic or slow go and the motor rpm  is not up I do not hold but about 13 volts or less on the gauge when at road speeds (and the fans still run) the volts will come back up on the gauge to a little over 14. Is this the norm or am having problems? Ward says 2.4A total draw on the fans. Thanks for any Help.

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
Re: charging system questions
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 08:04:15 AM »

Sounds OK to me, the faster you rev the higher the output......until you reach max. Your car does the same thing, you just can't see it on most cars.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 08:10:56 AM »

Sounds normal. My rg reads 14.2 when running 2k rpm or higher. You can always check the voltage at the battery when not running to see if it is holding a full charge.
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 08:46:56 AM »

My first advice would be to use an accurate meter to check your charging system, not the dash gauge.  Harley's gauges are only slightly better than useless.  My second piece of advice would be to get a manual for your model and do, or have done, the tests for voltage and current and see where your system falls within the specification range.

It's normal with a Harley charging system for the output to fall at low rpm and increase at higher rpm.  Actual current testing under full accessory load is the only way to know exactly how much, if any, deficit you may have at idle and low engine speeds.  If you do find you have a deficit (unlikely with the mods you mentioned), there is an upgraded alternator kit available.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store/high-output-charging-system

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 25 queries.