Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stalling issues  (Read 2187 times)

schmidtdog

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MN

Stalling issues
« on: August 04, 2014, 04:34:06 PM »

I have a 2014 CVO Road king with about 5,000 miles on it. Twice over the last couple of weeks the bike has stalled as I roll slowly up to a stop sign, with the clutch lever pulled in. I roll it around the corner, stop on the shoulder, fire it back up, and it runs great. No codes either. Just started to happen in the last couple of weeks. I have a fullsac DX pipe and their baffles, which were installed upon purchase, and have had no issues up until now. Brought it into the dealer, and they have no idea. Anybody else experienced this/have any ideas?

Digital

• Full CVO Member
  • Molon Labe
Re: Stalling issues
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 07:20:52 PM »

You didn't mention having any type of tune performed with the exhaust mod.   Was that done when the headers and baffles were installed?
2014 CVO Road King
2013 Road Glide (sold)
2012 Modified Baja DB30 - FUN BIKE!
2012 Fatboy Lo (sold)
2011 Aprilia Tuono (sold)
2006 Ducati Sport 1000 (sold)
1997 Yamaha YZF600r (sold)

schmidtdog

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MN

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 10:55:08 PM »

yes, they did put a different map in when the pipe/baffles were installed

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 09:26:47 AM »

I have a 2014 CVO Road king with about 5,000 miles on it. Twice over the last couple of weeks the bike has stalled as I roll slowly up to a stop sign, with the clutch lever pulled in. I roll it around the corner, stop on the shoulder, fire it back up, and it runs great. No codes either. Just started to happen in the last couple of weeks. I have a fullsac DX pipe and their baffles, which were installed upon purchase, and have had no issues up until now. Brought it into the dealer, and they have no idea. Anybody else experienced this/have any ideas?

Yes, I have an idea.  Find a decent shop where they actually know something about the product they sell, and have at least a passing acquaintance with the entire concept of diagnostics, and above all actually care about taking care of their customers.  Stalling can be a safety related defect, and has resulted in a lot of recalls with other products over the years.

What happens if you kick it into neutral when you're coasting to a stop, versus just disengaging the clutch with the trans in gear?  If that makes a difference, you might have a clutch that isn't releasing completely.  There are many other possibilities as well, but trying to diagnose this sort of thing over the internet isn't the way to do it.  Find a competent tech somewhere.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Driver30

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 03:44:55 PM »

I agree with Jerry, sounds like the clutch.  Did you have the recall on the clutch work done?

Huskysibe

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 04:26:06 PM »

I had the exact same thing happen on my 2007, ran fine for a couple of years with an aftermarket pipe and V-Rod tune. Don't ask why there was a V-Rod tune, the joker before me had it put on. I took it to Harley and they put a different tune on it and it runs just fine. Your symptoms were exactly like mine, runs fine until I pull the clutch coming to a stop and it would just die. It ran fire for 2 years and all of the sudden it just happened. Have them put the correct tune on it and you will be fine.

Simpleman1025

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FLHRSE5
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 12:24:15 PM »

I have the same set up on my 2013 CVO Road King. Did you get the Master tune TTS from Steve?
His first MAP he gave me had similar issues, I called him, he sent me another MAP. That was a year and a half ago with zero problems. Fullsac has great service. If you trusted a dealership, good luck.

harleyteam

• 1K CVO Member
  • RED BIKES RULE

• CVO1: 07 SERK - Razor Red
    • CVO2: 90 Heritage Classic (non cvo)
    • CVO3: 75 XLCH (non cvo)
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 12:39:38 PM »

strange,  when this starts to happen to mine, I just reach in the saddle bags for the spare batteries I always carry, and change the battery in the fob.

Guess I've just been lucky.

HA, HA, HA,  ,,,,, I LIKE IT !!!!!!!

life member - National HOG - NRA - NY Abate
member -CVOHarley - Nia. Falls Chapter HOG
              Red Knights NY21 - PGR

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 02:33:16 PM »

yes, they did put a different map in when the pipe/baffles were installed

Who is "they"?  What map did they "put in" and how did "they" do it?

Those are the first two questions I would want answered.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2014, 06:04:39 AM »

strange,  when this starts to happen to mine, I just reach in the saddle bags for the spare batteries I always carry, and change the battery in the fob.

Guess I've just been lucky.

thats a solution for an entirely different, unrelated problem.  the fob will not cause your bike to stall.  all it does is allow the starter circuit to function.  no fob, no start.  once it's started, the fob is out of the equation.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 21 queries.