Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Back of the dragon??  (Read 3436 times)

krypto2011

• Senior CVO Member
Back of the dragon??
« on: August 24, 2014, 08:55:57 PM »

Has anyone had a chance to ride this one yet?? Rt 16 from Marion Va to Tazewell Va. Spans 3 mountain ranges and is loaded with switch backs and major elevation changes. I rode it this week when I was in Bristol for nascar. What did others think of this road. I did a search to see if there was any posts about it and came up empty :nixweiss:
2011 SESG Krypto/Black Diamond, SE 259e cams, SE 5.3 injectors, HPI 58mm throttle body, heads ported and polished, V&H power duals, CFR mufflers, SE race tuner, SE high flow air filter

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
Re: Back of the dragon??
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 09:38:56 PM »

Rode it last Memorial Day weekend.  Really enjoyed it.  A must do road for anyone in that area.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 09:48:41 PM »

Not sure I'm thinking of the right road.  Is that also called the Buchanon Highway?  Has a state park with a funny name I can't now remember down at the south end?

mark

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 10:05:28 PM »

Not sure I'm thinking of the right road.  Is that also called the Buchanon Highway?  Has a state park with a funny name I can't now remember down at the south end?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 11:40:55 PM »

Yeap, that was it  :huepfenlol2: .   I do remember that road.   Thanks for the trip on the wayback machine  :2vrolijk_21: .

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 08:02:42 AM »

Live South of Hungry Mother. The lake has some of the best eyeball liberty this side of Myrtle Beach. Also crossing Mt Rogers south of Marion, Va all the way to Mouth of Wilson, is a more laid back, but beautiful ride. Hwy 16 is a great ride all the way to Wilkesboro, NC, after that turn around or frown  :huepfenlol2:
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

SHRADER

• 1K CVO Member
    • WV

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Betsy
    • CVO2: 2014 FLHRSE6 Orange Crush
    • CVO3: 1947 Indian Chief Nanner Puddin HBRR Fastest Side Valve
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 10:20:03 AM »

Live South of Hungry Mother. The lake has some of the best eyeball liberty this side of Myrtle Beach. Also crossing Mt Rogers south of Marion, Va all the way to Mouth of Wilson, is a more laid back, but beautiful ride. Hwy 16 is a great ride all the way to Wilkesboro, NC, after that turn around or frown  :huepfenlol2:

Hub Otis and I all live within 20 miles or so of Tazewell, Va on the north end of this ride. I remember attending a Poker Run years ago that took us over RT16 at the same time there was a Bicycle race over the same road. Talk about a cluster. I don't think anyone got hit by a bicycle, or vice versa, but it sure made you ride carefully knowing that a group of them could be around the next bend.

Anytime anybody comes down to do the Back of the Dragon, PM me and if possible we can meet up.

Regards
Shrader
2014 SERK Orange Crush-Fullsac cores and screens, Decatted Headpipe, TTS Mastertune, Kury 24D, Custom Dynamic Signals, Memphis Fairing, HBRR 117R 123HP/137TQ
2004 SEEG  Huckleberry- 113 HP/115 TQ

Charter Member and National Vice President Hillbilly Rocket Riders
Charter Member and National President CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
National President and Founder of WRENCH We Ride Everywhere Nomatter Cold or Hot
Zen Master of Pondering

backroad Mike

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Krypto
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 08:55:04 PM »

I've rode this route many times.  One of my favorite in the area.   Head the sign at the top before you drop down the west side though.  25 mph MEANS 25 mph.  The corners are tight.  I like the ride west to east better, but the east to west is by no means bad.

Since your in the area, ride 421 from Bristol to Mountain City.  This is the "Snake".  Two mountains with a small spot in middle of the (Shady Valley) to stop and get a bite to eat before you finish the other half.

Route 58 along the bottom of Virginia from Independence to Damascus is a great ride as well.  :2vrolijk_21:

krypto2011

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 09:38:30 PM »

I rode the snake (421), 321 Boone to bristol, the tail of the dragon, and moonshiners 28 last week. All good riding. I could ride for days and never get bored in NC, TN and VA!! We have nice roads in NH and VT but 10k miles per year up here, I have riden em all many times!!!  One of the guys riding with me had a one ton dodge on his lane on the back of the dragon, when he rounded a switch back. It looked like a power company truck with a trailer and small excavator on it. We had to pull over so he could swap out his britches. He is a younger guy and doesn't have a lot of miles on. He was pretty shook up. I wanted to reverse course at the end and go back to Marion but he wanted no part of it!!! He said go ahead he would find his own way back!!! I couldn't leave him so didn't get to run it back but I will next year!!!
2011 SESG Krypto/Black Diamond, SE 259e cams, SE 5.3 injectors, HPI 58mm throttle body, heads ported and polished, V&H power duals, CFR mufflers, SE race tuner, SE high flow air filter

1sharprdkg

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: Not CVO 2003 Road King Classic (Wife's) Sold her 99'RKC (Tinman)
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 09:43:30 PM »

Yeap, that was it  :huepfenlol2: .   I do remember that road.   Thanks for the trip on the wayback machine  :2vrolijk_21: .
How could you not remember a state park with a name like that? lol
" Life is Tough, Life is Tougher if Your Stupid"... John Wayne.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2014, 01:10:02 AM »

How could you not remember a state park with a name like that? lol

Pass a sign in a hurry, think it's cute, but not totally read it, have beers, pay more attention to girls, have beers, years pass, forget, pass gas, pay more attention to girls and have more beers, etc etc etc.  Some details just fade away a bit over time :P .

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2014, 07:00:59 PM »

Pass a sign in a hurry, think it's cute, but not totally read it, have beers, pay more attention to girls, have beers, years pass, forget, pass gas, pay more attention to girls and have more beers, etc etc etc.  Some details just fade away a bit over time :P .
I'm with you on all but the red part, some things are better kept to oneself!!!  :huepfenlol2:
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

CVOJIMMYC

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE tequila sunrise
    • CVO2: MY BSR "shes a sweet ride too"
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2014, 08:42:01 PM »

In July, from Boone NC to  the back of the dragon then over to Bristol for a pit stop at the QSL then down the snake to Mountain city TN , and back to Boone nice 200 mile or so day Lots  and Lots of Twisties  :2vrolijk_21:
My favorite color is chrome

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2014, 09:46:25 PM »

I'm with you on all but the red part, some things are better kept to oneself!!!  :huepfenlol2:

:2vrolijk_21:

08glide

• 1K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2012 cvoseuc
    • CVO2: 08 sg 105 anniv
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2014, 03:55:18 PM »

just took an ol air force buddie to WV (Beckley,nrg etc) we rode hwy 16 from beckley all the way to Marion then up to hwy 8 out of christiansburg,va up & over the BRPKY & down to hwy 58 & then on into danville, va. It's all good! probably gonna take a few others up there after mv sometime in Oct
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."  (James Dean)

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 25 queries.