Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Those of you with Goldwings, I have a question.  (Read 1755 times)

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
Those of you with Goldwings, I have a question.
« on: December 14, 2014, 11:36:01 AM »

On the rear suspension of the later model GL1800 Goldwings, I see there is a hydraulic pump that runs with the rear shock.

I've read that this "might" raise and lower the bike a bit with a switch on the dash.  Does this also control ride comfort as in spring rate for a more cushier ride, or only adjust for a loaded bike to bring it back to normal ride height?

Are there softer springs for the rear shock?  I see Progressive offers springs, but not sure what benefit they provide.

I'm curious because after I finish my Boardtrack and ride/sell it, I'm going to be starting a Morgan Style Three Wheeler.  I'm probably going with a "B" motor up front with the typical Mazda Miata 5spd and for the rear suspension I was going to make up my own swingarm setup.  I have a late model FLH rear wheel with cush drive and I bought a final drive unit from a GL1800 and I was going to mount it in front of the swingarm to do the 90 degree from the driveshaft to a Polychain pulley and belt to the rear wheel.

BUT... I've been thinking a lot lately and I found a complete rear swingarm assembly from a GL1800 with the caliper, rotor, lug nuts, aluminum swingarm, final drive gearbox, driveshaft and the front mount pivot bearings.  This is LIKE new condition and the rotor doesn't even have scratches to wear off the surface grinding marks on the rotor.

I got this complete assembly with free shipping for $99.00.  It came in Friday and work and this is going to save me tons of design time as well as now I won't have an axle to deal with, only unbolt the wheel to remove it, just like a car.  The only issue I'm going to have is getting the offset swingarm drive shaft to center up with the transmission drive shaft.  I think I'm going to make up some heavy duty bearing supports and run a couple Polychain 2" wide pulleys one slightly above the other, the top one being the main driveshaft pulley.  This also gives me some options to add to the 2.75:1 rear axle ratio of the GL1800 to get it more up in the 3.5:1 for better performance etc.

Sorry to ramble here about my next project, but I know some will find it interesting.

If anyone is interested in seeing what a Morgan Three Wheeler looks like, go to my signature and I have a Picture Trail link and an album for the Three Wheelers.

Thanks again for any answers on the rear shock.  As you now see my rear weight may end up being slightly less than that of a fully loaded GL1800 and I'm just wondering if going with a takeoff rear shock with the hydraulic setup would be a good starting point.

Also this guy I bought from still has two more of these trike conversion takeoff rear GL1800 swingarm assemblies.  Most like this run around $200 on up, but for $99.00 I can throw it away if I go a different route and not get hurt too bad.

Happy Holidays...
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Those of you with Goldwings, I have a question.
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 10:58:05 AM »

Thanks Mark for your PM.

I've sent an e-mail to John explaining my project and we'll see what he has to offer.

Thanks again.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

b407driver

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Ultra
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 11:58:48 PM »

The hydraulic preload is just that....preload only, it does not adjust spring rate, but it will vary the ride height about an inch or so. Pre-2012 Wings have a 900-1000 pound spring if I'm not mistaken. The 2012 and later Wings have a 1200 pound spring. Most folks (including myself) install a 1100 or 1200 pound spring on the pre-2012 stock shock. The stock spring on the 2012 and earlier is just too soft for a 900 pound bike with two up and luggage. If you are looking for a softer spring, just get a pre-2012 complete assembly.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 11:16:28 AM »

The hydraulic preload is just that....preload only, it does not adjust spring rate, but it will vary the ride height about an inch or so. Pre-2012 Wings have a 900-1000 pound spring if I'm not mistaken. The 2012 and later Wings have a 1200 pound spring. Most folks (including myself) install a 1100 or 1200 pound spring on the pre-2012 stock shock. The stock spring on the 2012 and earlier is just too soft for a 900 pound bike with two up and luggage. If you are looking for a softer spring, just get a pre-2012 complete assembly.

b407driver, thanks for the information.

This is all PRE project gathering information time for me.  I'm finishing up my Boardtrack Racer and will hope to sell it this spring.  Once that's sold I'll be starting on my Morgan Three Wheeler clone project.

I started out with a late model Harley rear 16" wheel with 1" axle and cush drive.  I also bought a final drive from a GL1800 swingarm and was going to use that as my 90 degree gearbox for the output driveshaft from the trans and then bolt a Polychain pulley to it in place of the rear wheel mounts.  At that point I was going to build or buy a late model swingarm to mount the rear wheel, but I'm now going another direction, I think...

I just bought a complete rear GL1800 swingarm assembly with pivot bearings, driveshaft all the way out to the lug nuts and caliper.  This assembly I doubt has more than 15 or 20 miles on it.  The cross grinding marks on the rotor are still as they were from the factory.  I suspect that some dealership took a new GL1800 and sold a conversion three wheeler and had the parts left over.  The guy I bought from had three in like condition and I paid $99.00 with free shipping. WHAT A DEAL!

So now I've just picked up a lower shock linkage assembly and also just yesterday purchased a 2007 with 8500 miles in it, rear shock assembly with hydraulic controller and wiring.

This is why I'm asking the questions about the rear suspension on the Goldwings.  I suspect that even with a very small body I'll have less weight on the rear wheel than a 2-up GL1800.  My motor will be in front of the front axle and the wheel base will be in the 105" to 110" range.  So the weight will be dispersed over a very long wheel base and even our driver/passenger weight will be about 3' in front of the rear wheel.

I'm thinking that the lighter spring rate as you've mentioned will work great for me, as I thought it might be too much and I'd have to source a lighter spring.  I'm glad I'll be able to "tweak" the ride height a bit with the hydraulics, sounds like a plan.

If anyone has anything they'd like to add or suggest, I'm open to listening.

Thanks again and to all have a great New Year's Eve...
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 25 queries.