Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My 2014 limited journey  (Read 2623 times)

King2013

My 2014 limited journey
« on: November 05, 2014, 01:45:42 AM »

As I've posted I no longer own a CVO, now I see I'm categoryless? Lol
Anyway I wanted to get some opinions and or suggestions.
After purchasing the limited I had to take it in for service with 100 miles on it 1 week after purchase for severe head shake or better known as the death wobble and while cornering it feels like the bars are being tugged/jerked out of my hands. It feels heavy and light or loose at the same time.
I've owned several bikes and have never experienced this. Anyway, I checked my shocks and they were at 20 psi which was fine, I decide I wasn't going to touch anything else and took it right in. The service tech told me that he was able to duplicate the trouble and found the steering nut was a little loose and the tires were low on air,  the front was 15 lbs low so he aired them up to 38 front 40 rear.
It rode better on the way home but, 45 miles later I noticed the same thing just not as bad.
I haven't checked the tire or shock pressure yet but I will. I've already called to schedule service again.
I'm not real happy about spending another 27k and the bikes already been in for service with just 100 miles on it and it's not fixed.
I can understand the tires maybe being missed on the pdi but I never had any of my Street glides loose any air and my 13' cvork never lost air and they all felt tight.
I've read that it can be a fall away (whatever that is) or an alinement issue, I would hope that the tech checked those the first time.

I don't like the way it handles so if someone has any knowledge of how to get rid of this wobble I'd appreciate any advice I can get.
Thanks in advance

Ride safe!

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG- light/dark Candy Cherry-sold
Re: My 2014 limited journey
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 02:27:50 AM »

Sounds like they still didn't get it right obviously. The fall away (or swing test .. whatever they call it) you mentioned is Harley's method of checking the neck bearings. I forget the exact procedure, but you get the bike off the ground and hold the bars all the way to lock and then let them go while watching the front tire swing past center and then back again until it stops. Depending on the number of swings and how much before it stops is what determines what they do with the bearings. They have to be just right, too tight is bad and so is too loose. Give them another chance or try another shop before you throw in the towel. I have heard of this problem, but out of the 4 Harley's I've owned I never had this problem personally. Good luck and do tell what you find out.   
2014 Ultra Limited*Daytona Blue Pearl
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

King2013

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 08:36:15 AM »

Thanks for the education on fall away.
This is my 6th Harley and none of them did this.  I don't intend to throw in the towel, after spending 27k the moco won't be getting off that easy. I'll keep taking it back until it's right or if I have to I'll try to lemon law it. No way do I think this is safe. This is the first bike I'm actually afraid to corner with.
It literally feels like someone is standing next to me pulling on the bars while I'm in the corner.

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 09:52:25 AM »

I would think that this is a really big deal breaker unless you want to wait until she throws you down on the road. I wouldn't ride it anymore until its fixed, or maybe request they replace it with another bike. Dependability is one think but safety is totally different

BigLew

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 02:50:17 PM »

I wonder how long the owner of the store would put up with that if the bike was his? It is late in the year but it would be nice to ask the serve department head to ride it for a few days and put a 1000 miles on it then let you know what he thought of the bike.???

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 05:29:35 PM »

Harley no longer uses the "swing test" method to check steering head bearing preload, starting on 2014 Touring models.  They further instruct the dealers that the swing test will give incorrect results and must not be used on 2014 and later bikes.

Jerry

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=98295.msg1275628#msg1275628

« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 05:32:23 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 08:03:32 PM »

Of course you realize if your front tire was 15 lbs low after only 100 miles that either the dealer delivered the bike to you with the front tire 15 lbs low, or you have a leak in the front tire/wheel.   

Given that your symptoms returned, I think the first thing I'd check would be the front tire pressure.   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 09:28:54 PM »

Of course you realize if your front tire was 15 lbs low after only 100 miles that either the dealer delivered the bike to you with the front tire 15 lbs low, or you have a leak in the front tire/wheel.   

Given that your symptoms returned, I think the first thing I'd check would be the front tire pressure.   :2vrolijk_21:

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Common sense tells us that if setting the air pressures to the recommended values corrected the problem for a short time, and then the problem returned, the first thing to do is check the tire pressures again.  If you do and you find the pressures significantly lower than what they were set at by the dealership, then the dealership needs to check the wheels and tires for leaks.  On the other hand, if you check the pressures and they are still where the tech set them, that indicates the tire pressure wasn't the problem and they need to dig deeper.  I imagine the dealership just assumed the extremely low tire pressure was the only problem, and really didn't dig any deeper once they found the tire so low.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2014, 10:10:39 PM »

Common sense tells us that if setting the air pressures to the recommended values corrected the problem for a short time, and then the problem returned, the first thing to do is check the tire pressures again.  If you do and you find the pressures significantly lower than what they were set at by the dealership, then the dealership needs to check the wheels and tires for leaks.  On the other hand, if you check the pressures and they are still where the tech set them, that indicates the tire pressure wasn't the problem and they need to dig deeper. I imagine the dealership just assumed the extremely low tire pressure was the only problem, and really didn't dig any deeper once they found the tire so low.

Jerry

:2vrolijk_21:
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

King2013

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2014, 11:01:46 PM »

Common sense tells us that if setting the air pressures to the recommended values corrected the problem for a short time, and then the problem returned, the first thing to do is check the tire pressures again.  If you do and you find the pressures significantly lower than what they were set at by the dealership, then the dealership needs to check the wheels and tires for leaks.  On the other hand, if you check the pressures and they are still where the tech set them, that indicates the tire pressure wasn't the problem and they need to dig deeper.  I imagine the dealership just assumed the extremely low tire pressure was the only problem, and really didn't dig any deeper once they found the tire so low.

Jerry

I believe the pdi wasn't done properly and that was the reason for the under inflated tire. If the tires are losing air  that quick than they'll be replacing the tires.
Being that the ride home from the dealer was all I rode it when I picked it up, the few mile trip wasn't long enough and the were no curves to notice although the straight line feel was a huge improvement. When I took it out the next day after about 25 miles I noticed it, it's not as bad as it was but it's definitely still there and still scary corning.
Letting the dealer ride it for 1,000 would only put it out of warranty. I was told by the dealer that hd only warranties the neck bearings and parts for 1,000 miles because it's a wearable part.
I was also reading that it could be a rear tire alinement issue and that a stabilizer could possibly fix it?
I think the moco should put on front and rear stabilizers at no cost to me if that's a real fix.
I'm not sure what's causing it but I will definitely be bringing up all the info I find to the tech.

Any other ideas of what could be the cause or a permanent fix for this would be appreciated.

Thanks again.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 11:05:16 PM by King2013 »

WildWes72

• Git-R-Done....
  • Full CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: CVO Breakout
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2014, 11:13:36 PM »

My Breakout was doing the same thing, took it to the dealer several times, with no fix. It was worse during long turns under engine load. Tire pressure, front shocks, alignment, neck bearings and nothing worked. Finally I took matters in my own hands rechecked and corrected little things that were overlooked. Nothing seem to fix the issue. Finally I jacked the bike up and pulled the rear shocks off and found out one of the shocks was bad. Replaced both shocks and adjusted to my weight. Right off the bat the bike responded allot better but still had wobble at 90+ and under hard acceleration. So I adjusted the shocks for 50 lbs over riding weight and it cured itself.

I'm still feel my front shock are a little spongy, under braking. My next action will be to change the fluid with a little heaver weight and or drop inserts in. I love the bike and it's fun to ride, but as always each one have its quirks. Hope this might help....

Git-R-Done

Wes
2014 CVO Breakout, Sedona
V&H 2-into-2 BCM Baffels
High Comp 10.5: 259 cam
Dynojet PV/Autotune Pro

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2014, 10:24:14 PM »

I believe the pdi wasn't done properly and that was the reason for the under inflated tire. If the tires are losing air  that quick than they'll be replacing the tires.
Being that the ride home from the dealer was all I rode it when I picked it up, the few mile trip wasn't long enough and the were no curves to notice although the straight line feel was a huge improvement. When I took it out the next day after about 25 miles I noticed it, it's not as bad as it was but it's definitely still there and still scary corning.
Letting the dealer ride it for 1,000 would only put it out of warranty. I was told by the dealer that hd only warranties the neck bearings and parts for 1,000 miles because it's a wearable part.
I was also reading that it could be a rear tire alinement issue and that a stabilizer could possibly fix it?
I think the moco should put on front and rear stabilizers at no cost to me if that's a real fix.
I'm not sure what's causing it but I will definitely be bringing up all the info I find to the tech.

Any other ideas of what could be the cause or a permanent fix for this would be appreciated.

Thanks again.

Is there a verdict?   :nixweiss:
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

King2013

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2014, 11:23:31 PM »

Is there a verdict?   :nixweiss:

Not yet. I didn't take it in because the weather has sucked. The nice day tomorrow I'm working on of course so it might wait until spring. I don't see the milage going up until then and they said the warranty on the headset is for 1,000 miles. It's being put up for the winter with only 160 miles on it.

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 21 queries.