Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: CFR Slip ons - Race Tuner and Dyno?  (Read 3286 times)

StreetGlideCVO2015

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IL

CFR Slip ons - Race Tuner and Dyno?
« on: February 27, 2015, 03:06:40 PM »

Just picked up a SWEET 2015 Street Glide CVO.   Looking to switch out the pipes with CFR slip ons.  I have heard differing schools of thought on whether or not a race tuner and dyno is necessary when I switch out the exhaust.  I am wondering what the best course of action is.  Money is not an issue.  The issue is what is best for the performance of the bike.  Thoughts?

Philip

• CVO1: 2017 Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2015 Street Glide
    • CVO3: 2010 Street Glide
Re: CFR Slip ons - Race Tuner and Dyno?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 12:11:57 AM »

I worked (sales) for a Harley store with some of the best techs around. What I learned, the best was 2-1 header pipe SE tuner & dyno tuning by an experienced tech. I prefer using a crossover header and keep my dual exhaust and SE tuner w/ dyno Tune. Last bike gained 6HP & 5lbs TQ after tuning this was above the increase from adding the parts alone. True duals will provide the least improvement. So definitely dyno the bike after installing the parts. Make sure tech is experienced dyno is a tool & only as good as the person using it.

My personal choice is VH stainless power duals. But I love the sound of the CFR. So I'm not sure how the 2015 will be equipped because keep changing my mind. Congrats on the new CVOSG! 
:worthless:
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 12:28:47 PM by Philip »
2017 CVO Street Glide (Current)
2015 CVO Street Glide
2010 CVO Street Glide
2009 Softail Rocker

harleytuner

• Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
    • VA

• Wide Open Cycles
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 08:05:31 AM »

Just picked up a SWEET 2015 Street Glide CVO.   Looking to switch out the pipes with CFR slip ons.  I have heard differing schools of thought on whether or not a race tuner and dyno is necessary when I switch out the exhaust.  I am wondering what the best course of action is.  Money is not an issue.  The issue is what is best for the performance of the bike.  Thoughts?

A dyno tune is needed anytime to make changes to your bike that allow the engine to change the amount of air going through it. Since all you are doing is adding slip ins theoretically there is no reason to get a tune, the bike left the factory calibrated to the stock air cleaner. Since you are not planning on changing that a tune is not necessary.  Put the slip ins on and it will run like it does now.

Now with that said, all stock bikes can benefit from a proper tune. You can increase performance and help the bike run cooler with a tune. even though it's not necessary I would recommend a tune.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 02:39:07 PM by harleytuner »
110" - T-man HiComp pistons - RoederRacing Heads - GMR 577 cams - HPI 55 - FatCat - AIM clutch - Vision

hrdtail78

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 11:34:38 AM »

I am wondering what the best course of action is.  Money is not an issue.  The issue is what is best for the performance of the bike.  Thoughts?

A dyno tune is always the best course of action.  For all the area's of the calibration not seen in a WOT dyno sheet.

warnold78

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 12:52:19 PM »

I have a 2014 CVO RoadKing and went  with the V&H power duals with TBR (Two Brothers Racing) slip ons. I highly recommended the tuning. Mine sound great and the improved performance rocks. Enjoy your new ride!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 01:34:06 PM »

If you want the bike to run the best it can, then even if you don't change anything on the bike I'd still recommend a good tune.  Please don't make the mistake many have, however, and assume the folks at your friendly Harley store are the right people to do a good tune.  Also don't assume that the Harley SEPST is the only or the best tuning package.

Spend some time doing research to find the best professional full time tuner within the radius you are willing to travel to, and once you find a tuner you can trust to do the job right, talk to him about which tuning package he recommends.  The tuning package is only a tool, just like the dynamometer, and it's the guy or gal using those tools that will determine if you get what you're paying for.

Btw, when you find a good tuner, talk to him about your choice of pipes as well.  Some of the most popular or highly promoted parts are among the ones that good tuners don't recommend.  Pipes and mufflers can look good, sound good to you, and still be lousy in terms of performance or be a PITA to tune with.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 21 queries.