Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: oil leak on rear jug  (Read 1646 times)

GASHOG

• FLHRSEI.ORG
oil leak on rear jug
« on: May 04, 2006, 09:43:15 PM »

Question, I have an 05 SE Glide, I bought the bike used with 1,100 miles.  After my first real ride a few weeks ago I noticed a small oil spot on the fins of the rear jug? So after very close inspection there were no visible signs of a leak any wear. I cleaned the area with carb cleaner so it was again like new condition. After another ride I have the same film of oil on the same fin!?!? It's on the fins on the jug not the head, and it's the fourth fin down from the top that always has a film of oil on it!  There is no oil coming from the head gasket area and it is not leaking down from the top any where? Just always a film of oil on the same fin. It's not coming from the breather tube on the tranny or from any where really?  the jug doesnt apear to be cracked?  This bike runs great and holly ball's does this thing fly! did I mention it's the red one!!  Ha ha!  So any way where the heck is this oil coming from!  Any help would be appreciated!

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
Re: oil leak on rear jug
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 11:26:23 PM »

Which side is the spot on? Could it be oil blowby from the aircleaner? [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

GASHOG

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 01:10:24 PM »

I know where you are talking about but it's not coming from there. It's on the left rear corner of the jug? Fourth fin down. Nothing coming from above it or around it.

kng103

• Elite CVO Member
  • 2004  SE-103          ROAD KING CLASSIC
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006, 01:21:31 PM »

I know where you are talking about but it's not coming from there. It's on the left rear corner of the jug? Fourth fin down. Nothing coming from above it or around it.

DID YOU CHECK BY THE PLUG?

2004 flhrci se-103 pearl white
bassani true duals w/ho mufflers
se air cleaner
sert
se-251 cam
s&s reed valve
24/37 gearing
se-6 sp
rumble road speakers
2008 lincoln mark lt(silver)

UltraPolecat

• Elite CVO Member
  • Good Bye Milk Dud! Hello Black Beauty!

• CVO1: 06 SEUC Black Candy Crimson
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2006, 08:20:21 AM »

Don't know if Gashog ever got this figured out but I have the exact same problem on my 06.  I took it in to the dealer yesterday and they are waiting for my cams to come in from Zippers to get it all checked out and done together.  

Anybody else ever hear of this?  :-?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2006, 10:21:46 AM »

More potential cases of porosity.  Seeping right through the casting.

UltraPolecat

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2006, 03:19:49 PM »

Hey Twolane,

Do you think its possible for porosity to show up after 4000 miles?

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2006, 04:21:42 PM »

I have seen it show up in a very short time.  It all depends on how the casting is.  If it is porous through and through it won't take long for the oil to find the weak link.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 07:58:25 PM by Rjob749 »

UltraPolecat

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2006, 04:46:31 PM »

I guess its possible it has been oozing for a good while without me noticing it as I have the finned covers on there and only noticed when I was doing some OCD Q-Tip cleaning.  I wanted it to look nice as it was going to Tilley's to get the Zippers cam treatment and I didn't want them to think me a pig (HOG, ok, pig...NO)

So I suppose it will be there a bit longer than planned.  Big storm coming so can't ride for a few days anyway... :(
« Last Edit: December 30, 2006, 04:47:36 PM by UltraPolecat »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2006, 04:34:42 PM »

Hey Twolane,

Do you think its possible for porosity to show up after 4000 miles?

Years and years (and years and years and years) ago Buick offered up an aluminum motor.  Staring in 1961 they were doing aluminum V8s as the engine design leader on the project for GM at the time.  Olds had a variant of the engine and others saw the light of day as well.

They all had problems.  But many were still around when I started puttering around a gas station with a shop rag that likely hung from pocket to the floor in about 1972.  Warping due to compression was a big problem with them.  Porosity was almost as bad.  Some would take years and thousands of miles to finally creep through.  Others seem to have done it from day one.  Replacement heads might show up with the problem almost immediately or a year later.

Most all of us have seen isolated instances of this problem at some time.  And while anecdotal evidence would seem to suggest it'll show up sooner rather than later some product history tells us it can show up much later too.  Those old Buicks sure could.

Page created in 0.275 seconds with 25 queries.