Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Maiden Voyage 2014 FLHRSE  (Read 3205 times)

plexed

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MA

• CVO1: 2014 FLHRSE
Maiden Voyage 2014 FLHRSE
« on: April 01, 2015, 11:05:45 PM »

Hello all, I put a greeting in bit ago, but thought I would have a ride on the bike first before I started to chime in on the forum. So I purchased the
bike back in January thinking it was a light winter.... Well I live in MA, and you can see by the pic there is still plenty of snow in the woods etc.
Anyway I finally had the bike delivered on 3/19 and have been waiting for any day that looked decent. So I finally made it out on the road on 3/31
and did an initial 50 mile shake down ride. The roads are still far from primo, but I could not take another day of staring at this beauty in my garage!!

So just a quick note on what I came from; I traded/sold my 2012 V-Rod Muscle, 2012 GSX-R 1000, and 2008 Suzuki B-King 1340. I mention this as I am coming
from some pretty high HP aggressive bikes onto this CVO, so I really did not know what to expect. I rode a Street Glide 103 and liked it well enough, so
I took the plunge on this CVO without a test ride.

I have a few mods on the bike right now: V&H Power Duals, V&H High Outputs, V&H Fuel Pak 3, and some Kuryakyn highway pegs.

The quick report: I freak'n LOVE this bike!!

The longer report:

I did not know what to expect, I just thought the bike was soo gorgeous that if it was halfway decent, I would live with it. So first, the
V&H set up worked perfectly -- highly recommend. The bike had quite a bit of low end grunt. The sound is awesome without being
too obnoxious or loud. My V-Rod had a V&H Comp header pipe and you could not hear yourself think. Back to the CVO.. My biggest
surprise came with the first real turn on the road...this thing can handle! I could not believe it, it just tipped in and held the line.
I am not going to compare the CVO to one of my race bikes, but I like the handling better then the V-Rod already. The wheelbase
is much more reasonable and it does not have that crazy 240 tire, so it can really turn nice. I did not go too crazy, the roads are still
far from being ideal. Combine the road condition plus I am just breaking in the bike, so I went pretty easy. Other things I really liked,
the torque on the motor. This bike really pulls nice down low and it just pushes you down the road in the nicest way. I also thought
the brakes were fantastic. It took me very little time to start feeling very confident with the bike. As mentioned I am just on break in,
but I did hit the highway, this is where I thought the bike really shines IMHO. Completely stable and just seemed to really want to
keep going well past the speed limit. I could not believe how light the bike felt once I started moving.

I brought the pre-load down on the rear shocks as I am 6' and 160lbs that seem to work just fine. All the while when I was riding I was
thinking this is one classy ass ride, I am so glad I pulled the trigger! Really the only minor issues I had, I have read here before on the forum,
I thought the bars were not optimized for rider comfort, more of a style thing. Not too bad for me, but I could see getting some Todd's Cycle
10 inch Strip Bars down the road. I thought the seat was a bit stiff, but I have the feeling it will break in more in time. I tried out the windshield
today, and did notice a difference with the door open. I definitely got the blast of my chest, but I am a little tall I think to get the full benefits.
If it was not in the 40's today, I don't think it would have mattered. I like riding the bike sans fairing anyway. 

I think this will sum up my thoughts: I rode the bike wanting to do a quick shake down. I did a 25 mile loop and was heading back to my house,
as I was a bit under dressed and was getting a pretty good chill... As I came back to my house, I hit the gas and just kept going down the rode
and did another 25 miles. If it was not so damn cold out, I think I would have been out all day long. I  have not had such a special feeling on a
motorcycle in a very very long time. I can now understand all the love these bikes get on this forum!  :2vrolijk_21:

Best,

Plexed

« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 11:38:23 PM by plexed »

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
Re: Maiden Voyage 2014 FLHRSE
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 11:23:21 PM »

Congrats. Great write up.

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

Bav

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2018 CVO Road Glide Custom
Maiden Voyage 2014 FLHRSE
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 12:07:56 AM »

I completely understand how you feel. I was the same when I got my orange SERK last May and have done 10000 miles on her already. Just couldn't stop riding her and now so pleased the weather is getting better so I can get out again. I still have a very high BHP sports bike but very rarely use it now as the CVO is so fantastic. Great choice, enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk

jpdchicago

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHRSE 2014
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 06:56:27 PM »

Great review. I totally agree!
I have the orange/black one with almost the same setup (V&H Power Duals, Monster Rounds and FP3) and I could not believe the amount of torque and power. Keeps pulling to beyond twice the highway speed limit! I also seems so much lighter at speed and on winding roads than what you would think for a bagger.
The only 2 things I replaced are the windshield (using the regular Road King windshield - tested to over 110mph, no problem) and the handlebars that were bending my wrists in a weird way. I replaced them with 10" Wild Ones and it is now perfect!
I find the seat comfortable but I admit I rarely ride more than 300 miles/day.
Congrats and enjoy!

stratplexi

• Full CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 08:57:56 PM »

Congrats on a sweet ride!

plexed

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MA

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 11:23:45 PM »

Thanks for all the comments! It sure is nice now that Spring is coming. I rode close to 100 miles today! It is funny, every place
I stopped folks giving me questions and compliments on the CVO. Man, that never happened with my other bikes! I hope
you all are enjoying this nice weather!

Finally a little sun, and 55 degrees, snow melting in background! :mango:

casbar

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 RK
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2015, 03:02:52 AM »

Love mine, just fitted the true duals, really pleased. I don't have any issues with the bars or seat, I have only covered about 5k, so not upto Bav standard :) Its going into the dealer next week to have the rear sprocket replaced and the shift lineage, due to paint issues. But love the bike and looking forward to some great trips this year

cembo

• Time To Ride
    • NJ

• CVO1: FLHRSE6
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2015, 05:54:50 PM »

Thanks for all the comments! It sure is nice now that Spring is coming. I rode close to 100 miles today! It is funny, every place
I stopped folks giving me questions and compliments on the CVO. Man, that never happened with my other bikes! I hope
you all are enjoying this nice weather!

Finally a little sun, and 55 degrees, snow melting in background! :mango:

Congratulations! I have the same bike in Titanium Dust and can't wait for the weather to warm up. Enjoy the bike and be safe!

BritGuy

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • BC

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2015, 05:20:58 PM »

Great write up, thanks. I have the same bike but with the Garmin nav fitted, highway pegs and heated grips. I have a supertrapp supermeg and a TTS tuner which has been dynoded in and 944 Progressive rear shocks. It's pretty much perfect for me now. I put the bike back on the road 3 weeks ago and have put 3000 kms on it in that time, dodging snow storms sometimes, but enjoying temps in the mid 20's on others. Looking forward to putting plenty more kms on over the spring summer.

Wild Hog 4

• Senior CVO Member
    • CVO3: 2018 CVO Road Glide
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2015, 10:06:42 PM »

Nice one !
congrats on the bike and an honest review .....and welcome to the forum. :drink:
Ride free brothers!

BIG HURT

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IL

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2015, 03:23:21 AM »

Great review. I have the Titanium dust color also. V&H Black Pro Pipe and Fuelpak FP3. My only issue...the baffle came off inside the muffler and was rattling and rolling around on my 2nd ride. Dealer is picking the bike up Monday and replacing the baffle which was warrantied by V&H. I traded in my 2013 Softail Slim for the CVO back in November. So far,what I really like is the suspension on this bike,especially when going over rough spots. Sometimes I don't even notice. But the bike runs smooth and handles great,especially low speed turning,U-Turns and handling. First week of May I'll be doing a short 2 day highway trip. Can't wait to just kick back with my feet on the pegs. By the way,I swapped out the stock seat for the new Mustang Low Profile solo seat with rider backrest. Love it. Had the Mustang solo on my slim and loved that also. Was tossing around the idea tonight of new handlebars,possibly mini apes. But I really do like the stock bars. Safe riding to all 

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 25 queries.