Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Special part to protect the wheel for bearing removal?  (Read 1156 times)

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
Special part to protect the wheel for bearing removal?
« on: March 31, 2015, 10:59:50 PM »

I purchased the Heartland Wheel Bearing removal and installation tool.  Everything looks simple enough.  As it turns out doing the rear wheel is quite simple as the large part rest flat right on the rotors.  When I took the front wheel off to replace the tires I looked at the area required to support the part of the tool that rest flat on the rotors and the design of the front wheel makes using this tool useless.  I even used an old rear rotor and laid it flat across the front rotor for additional support but the bearing removal tool was not long enough to get the job done.  Is there another method that people use?  I have seen the plate that is on Jim's site and was wondering if that is what I needed?  I was hoping to do all the bearings, brake pads, tires etc.  With the new S&S motor having zero miles and the other parts I installed I was hoping to be able to sell it this spring.     

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 120r motor Black Diamond/Crimson Tag Graphics
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust
Re: Special part to protect the wheel for bearing removal?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 04:46:32 PM »

I'm not sure if I totally understand your issue but I had a similar problem with my front wheel. However, I have the George's Garage wheel bearing tool, not the Heartland. On one of my motorcycles there isn't room to support the bearing removal tool on the rotor so I made a steel support plate that supports it yet it provides room to pull the bearing. I have a few pictures, sorry they are a bit blurry. I didn't have my flash on. The first picture shows how there isn't a way to support the removal tool then the other pictures show the support plate I had fabricated.

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 04:47:08 PM »

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 04:47:40 PM »

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 04:48:05 PM »

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 07:05:19 PM »

rheiner,

Your photos explained in perfect detail what I was trying to say.  Instead of the plate you made I'm just using an old rear rotor that has enough support to hold the tool and allow the bearing to fit through.  Thanks for the photos.   It seems my CVO has been challenging me with everything I seem to do.  I purchased the No Mar tire tool after watching the videos and it seemed really easy.  The rims on the CVO are very thick at the ends and it can cause issues getting clamped tightly, Metzlers seem to just about fall on the rim but the Dunlops are a real battle for me and then we have the bearing situation for the front wheel.  Not whining but somehow things are not always as easy as they seem.  But after installing my sixth compensator in 80,000 miles I'm getting pretty good at working in the primary.  Somehow I wanted to be a better rider and not a better back yard mechanic.

Thanks for taking the time for the reply and the photos.

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 21 queries.