Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Race tuner reset???  (Read 12484 times)

FLHRSEI

• I'M FREE
Race tuner reset???
« on: October 31, 2005, 04:13:28 PM »

Hello guys, does anyone know how to reset the race tuner???,
I had taken my bike to a certified HD mechanic to replace my Power commander for a race tuner, the mechanic claimed that while downloading the data the bike turned off because the ignition switch was bad.  that not only rendered the ECM useless but also the race tuner could not be used on the new ECM because it would only work on the ECM it was connected for the first time the mechanic says the reason is that there's a license involved. I think it is totally wrong to force you to purchase another one for the same price.
I'm shure it gets blocked by some sort of password lock between the ECM and the race tuner therefore there has to be a way to unlock it.

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
Re: Race tuner reset???
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2005, 05:47:29 PM »

Not sure if this will help or not, but there is a way for them to enter the correct VIN # into a new ECM. In theory, the SERT should recognize the VIN# Here's the link:http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/hddiagrams/October_25_2004___automatic_vin_detection.pdf
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

syclone

• Full CVO Member
  • IF YA CANT AFFORD TO BREAK IT-- DONT RIDE IT
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2005, 06:05:10 PM »

Hello guys, does anyone know how to reset the race tuner???,
I had taken my bike to a certified HD mechanic to replace my Power commander for a race tuner, the mechanic claimed that while downloading the data the bike turned off because the ignition switch was bad.  that not only rendered the ECM useless but also the race tuner could not be used on the new ECM because it would only work on the ECM it was connected for the first time the mechanic says the reason is that there's a license involved. I think it is totally wrong to force you to purchase another one for the same price.
I'm shure it gets blocked by some sort of password lock between the ECM and the race tuner therefore there has to be a way to unlock it.
If he was "downloading data" the racetuner is already locked to your vin number by way of your ecm. Unhook the battery for about 30 minutes...touch both battery cables together to discharge the caps in the ecm. Reconnect the battery and start over. Amazing how you suddenly have a deffective ignition switch huh ??  Oh..if you dont feel confident doing this yourself..take it somewhere else that doesnt have "deffective ignition switches"
Just my opinon......I could be wrong

'05 SEEG  114"  all bore motor

04 night train 95" 10.5:1 KBs,ported and decked heads, tw55g cams,rollers,3.37,44cv
01 Dyna,95" ported SE heads,wood t

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2005, 06:16:21 PM »

If the racetuner was set to a another ECM then the dealership doing the work should be responsible for replacing the ECM and Racetuner.   You should not have to buy something new just because the ECM went bad and coincidently while the guy was tuning it.   I would go back to the dealer and talk to the GM if you get no satisfaction there I would call Harley Davidson Customer service and ask to speak to manager Rusty Dwire.   I would not waste my time with the people on the phone.   I am sure he will help you out and also ask your dealer where to get a survey form to torch them with and let them know your going to throw them way under the bus.  

It is true that the ecm is locked by vin and other numbers as they are burned into the racetuner piece.   Only other way around it is for Harley to put your old information exactly back into the new ECM.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2005, 07:39:13 PM »

I think you now have some ammunition now for your dealer. It does sound like the tech messed up the tuning. Nice trick on the disconnect and discharge of he caps, Syclone, I used to do something similar to clear out sedurity alarm triggers and the engine nag light on my FLTRI. So far, my FLHRSEI hasnt' had the same troubles. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

Jay Demis

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MO

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 03:04:43 PM »

The tech can send your race tuner to H-D and get it unlocked to where it will work with the new ECM !

mark

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2015, 10:24:57 AM »

This doesn't pass the smell test.  Sounds like the shop screwed up and are making excuses so you have to pay for their mistake.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2015, 01:20:46 PM »

I'm not sure I would blindly believe this guy about the ECM being bad either.  You really need to talk to the head honcho at that dealership, because it sure sounds like you are being scammed.  Your bike was fine when the guy tried to use the new SEPST, and now your ECM is supposedly no good and you need to buy a new ECM plus a new SEPST.  If he screwed it up, he should be paying for it, not you.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2015, 01:28:48 PM »

Your mechanic's explanation is nonsense.  I had the same issue while uploading a map using a TTS tuner.   There is no reason to have lost the ECM by a "partial download."   Here is my story:  Re: 2015 RGU: I'm Blue... So Blue...   Maybe that info will help.   

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2015, 04:48:18 PM »

Is not this an old thread from 2005?

:oops: :nixweiss:
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2015, 05:01:52 PM »

Is not this an old thread from 2005?

:oops: :nixweiss:

Yup.  Someone managed to revive it yesterday, and like lemmings several of us followed over the cliff.  Guess I'll have to train myself to start paying attention to the dates of the posts.  ;)

Now I'm curious though.  I wonder how this came out ten years ago.  Did the dealer do the right thing, or did he screw our friend over?

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2015, 05:04:10 PM »

Lol and for the first post I will resurrect a 10 year old thread  :P

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

mark

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2015, 08:46:38 PM »

I going to blame the moderator.

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2015, 09:22:17 AM »

Well lets all take the plunge.

One thing that some may or may not know is the early ECM is prone to glitching during the down load. ANd being that the file is completely removed firts then the new file loaded you can see how bad things can happen as there is no re-boot in the old style ECM.

I just had a  a 2001 springer ECM with a new pro tuner glitch and loose all data. Was working great and was done with the tune went to load last time and no go.

Now I may have been able to take the bike to the dealer and see if they could get the 01 ECM to take a cal. But Better option is to get a 07 ECM and use that. They do not have those issues. EVEN better how about a TTS tuner to allow the stock cal to be reloaded if anything does pop up..  Not a cheap fix but if the customer is keeping the bike long term something to think about.

2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 21 queries.