Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 117 head gasket size make a big difference?  (Read 1599 times)

panhead1

• Full CVO Member
117 head gasket size make a big difference?
« on: August 06, 2015, 02:14:05 PM »

Have a 09 117 motor.  The rear cylinder has been leaking some so ordered the cometic gaskets with the .30 head gasket and .20 base gasket.  Then i got the motor apart it was all s&s gaskets and the head gasket was the .43.  I wasn't going to take the front head and jug apart since it wasn't leaking.  Would it be a noticable difference with the different head gasket sized between the jugs that i should change out the front also? 

Also with the base gaskets do you put them on dry?  I have head some others either using the copper or some permetex aviation sealant on them to stop the weeping. 

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: 117 head gasket size make a big difference?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 04:14:12 PM »

The cometic gaskets go on dry.  As to a difference:  Will there be some?  Obviously.  Will you notice it from the saddle?  Especially if you think about it and talk yourself in to it.

Consider it from another perspective though.  You know what "right" is for this this job.  You're already 80% of the way there to do it right as you're already doing the slightly more difficult rear hole.  So, while you're this far in, is there really a good reason not to take another 45 minutes and do the front too?

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 05:57:06 PM »

The cometic gaskets go on dry.  As to a difference:  Will there be some?  Obviously.  Will you notice it from the saddle?  Especially if you think about it and talk yourself in to it.
Consider it from another perspective though.  You know what "right" is for this this job.  You're already 80% of the way there to do it right as you're already doing the slightly more difficult rear hole.  So, while you're this far in, is there really a good reason not to take another 45 minutes and do the front too?
Funny but very true. First time explained in words. :2vrolijk_21:

panhead1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 12:10:56 AM »

Ha I know I should just didn't want to start another leak just in case.  I got called into work and just picked up a set of .40 head gaskets too.  So they would be the same. I guess I just wanted to be lazy and not do the front too.  It's hot as hell in the garage.  Lol

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 06:43:41 AM »

Your better off with that .040" gasket.
The .013" difference is actually at/very near 2cc's if measured.
Doesn't sound like much, but it can be.
Scott

panhead1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 02:02:48 PM »

I went and got some .40 gaskets.  Figured while i was there would take the front jug off too and clay it to see how much room i had.  If i would of went with the .30 would of been a litttle to close for the piston and the heads.  All kinds of room in the valve pocket but very little outside of it. 

Also does everyone still use the o ring with the cometic base gaskets?  Think i have read some people have and some people haven't. 

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 25 queries.