Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Unusual RGU Noise  (Read 2543 times)

TNCarters

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RGU
    • CVO2: 2011 Ultra Limited (Traded)
Unusual RGU Noise
« on: May 15, 2015, 11:52:56 AM »

I've developed a very high pitch squeak at low rpms somewhere around the fairing/tank/instrument area.  It seems more to do with vibration than engine rpm or speed as road bumps can cause it as well as engine vibrations in the 2000 rpm range. I'm having trouble consistently making it occur.  I know about the valve train ticks and fairing headlight whisle thats been mentioned before and do not think its related to either.  I will find it eventually, just need to figure out a way to consistently make it occur where I can investigate its source.  I have some high frequency hearing loss from shooting without adequate hearing protection in my younger years but I can hear this.  Something is loose or rubbing that should not be.

Anyone else notice this and possibly found the source?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 11:55:18 AM by TNCarters »
Ron
2015 CVO RGU
Burgundy Blaze

Patriot2015

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

Re: Unusual RGU Noise
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 02:45:52 PM »

I am getting a high pitch noise at about 60 mph.  Sounds like a piece of metal loose but i can't find it.

TNCarters

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RGU
    • CVO2: 2011 Ultra Limited (Traded)
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 03:51:10 PM »

Patriot, Several people were discussing a wind noise coming from around the headlight in an earlier post.  Not sure I could hear the sound range in question even if my bike had the sound.  My squeak is not wind as bike is barely moving when I hear it.
Ron
2015 CVO RGU
Burgundy Blaze

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 06:56:53 AM »

Mine has had a decel metal sounding vibration since day one. Notice it more on twistys requiring higher RPMs. I think it's the upper fork covers.

Beemer

• Elite CVO Member
  • USAF CMSgt (Ret)

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Electric Orange/Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE Autumn Haze/Carbon Dust
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 05:58:57 PM »

Don't worry...the MoCo says they all do that.

FullBagger

• Junior CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Road Glide
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 03:50:53 PM »

Mine has had a decel metal sounding vibration since day one. Notice it more on twistys requiring higher RPMs. I think it's the upper fork covers.

Don't worry...the MoCo says they all do that.
They must cuz mine does the same thing. Sorry to hear I do not have a one-of-a-kind special edition!
HD bikes are like a box of chocolates (you fill in the rest)
2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra
2014 Electra Glide Limited
2012 Electra Glide Limited
2010 Heritage Softail
Until 2010 = Raising my kids

stealth

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 02:46:54 PM »

Here is one possibility. I recently changed my windshield and afterwards had a similar noise at low speed. It got worse over time and started occurring at idle. It turned out to be that one of the upper(back) screws was hitting something or bottoming out before tightening down on the shield. These windshields are only held at the 4 screw points and there is only a rubber seal on the inside, not between the shield and the outer fairing. If it occurs try grabbing the shield and see if it stops.

I ended up using automotive door seal material and putting in an outer seal with took up the space for the screw and more securely holds the shield.

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 21 queries.