Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to determine which tech(s) is/are the best??  (Read 1692 times)

SilverDawg

• Elite CVO Member
How to determine which tech(s) is/are the best??
« on: January 05, 2007, 10:21:15 PM »

Each HD store has a number of both well qualified and "not so" qualified techs that work on our bikes.  For those of us that did not get the gift of turning the wrench, how do we go about sifting through all the techs and determine which ones are most qualified?

The obvious answer is to ask the advisors, sales guys, counter folks, etc., but not sure you will always get the truth, as most will say they are all good.  I guess another way would be to ask other customers, but I don't hang out at the store much, so I would probably not get much from that approach.

Is there a way to verify who can do what types of service on a bike?  I am about to get my 10K service done and I would really prefer not to get the newbie that just graduated from MMI and kind of knows what to do.

How many of you request a certain tech when you take your bike into the stealership?
2008 FLHTCU Candy Red Sunglo -ABS/Security/SERT/V&H ovals
2008 FXCWC - Pacific Blue Pearl Deluxe-SOLD

The poster formally known as Cobaltman...

"As I grow older, I pay less attention to what men say.  I just watch what they do." - Andrew Carnegie

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: How to determine which tech(s) is/are the best
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 10:27:22 PM »

You can request whom you want to work on your bike (at least where I have my service done). The way I found out which one I wanted to work on my bike was by hanging around the shop, watching them work, talking to the technicians, and talking to customers. Sounds like in your case you might not have the time to do this, but for me it was the best way to find out there skills and professionalism. Plus it let them know how passionate I was about my scooter, and the level of care I took in it, and expected for it to be treated when in their care.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 10:36:37 PM »

I say the following knowing full well that for everything anyone says, someone will come up with an exception. So take these with a grain of salt.

The best techs are the ones with between 5 and 10 years experience. They've learned all the tricks of the trade, but haven't grown bored with the job yet. The worst are the ones with more than 20 years experience who are burned out and don't care anymore.  I'd rather have the new kid fresh out of school than a guy who doesn't give a chit about his work.

JMO

B B

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2007, 12:17:44 AM »

Hi Cobaltman,
I agree with what the others have said. As well as letting the service writers and manager know how careful and concerned you are about your bike you could also attend some HOG meetings or rides and ask the members what good and bad experiences they have had at the dealership, I would suggest doing this on a one-on-one level and not in front of the dealership employees to get a true answer.
Some dealerships also display the training certificates of the mechanics so you can get an idea as to the number of classes as well as how recent the training has been too.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 12:18:21 AM by VaEagle »

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2007, 07:50:49 PM »

Cobaltman,
  I agree with everything the other Members said on this subject.  I buy my Harleys, all the accessories, and all the chroming I can, and I always will, from Mike Adkins, who is a long time personal friend of mine, and owns Mike's Harley-Davidson, in Delbarton, WV.  When I came to the place in life I could afford more than bolt-on Performance Products, I went to the Infamous Don Tilley, another personal friend of mine, owner of Tilley's Harley-Davidson, in Statesville, NC, and asked him who was his best Tech.  He said he was, but that his prote'ge' was Neal Taylor, who is his Lead Tech.  Both of these Dealers have always treated me like Family, and always make my Harleys run like a scalded dog!  ;) Good Luck!  Later--HUBBARD  
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

Screamin_Beagle

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2007, 08:09:38 PM »

Cobalt,
    I agree with BB and Hub,  you gotta find the top dog at the dealership,  but don't expect him to be doing oil changes for you....Everyone at the dealership knows who this guy is,  but politics and dealer rep will make sure that you are told that they are all good (bullsh$t).  It depends on the relationship you have with your dealer.  BB and I have been buying (way too many bikes....mostly BB,  but I've bought my share), and we have a great working relationship with the service guy's and parts guy's and the sales force (in fact,  these guy's used to come to our parties) so we know who the top wrench is.  But the service writers may tell you that you can't pick your tech......that said,  all I can tell you is inspect the work when you get the bike back.  I have a few horror stories that I could tell you.

_Beagle
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 08:10:35 PM by domagalam »
What ever it is that somebody did that you didn't want done.....................I either did it or had something to do with it!!!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007, 12:18:48 PM »

Each HD store has a number of both well qualified and "not so" qualified techs that work on our bikes.  

I think the lawyers in the crowd would be standing up yelling something like "Objection, foundation!"

At least anecdotally we have no compelling data to suggest that some of the shops have any "well qualified" techs.  Some of the places seem to have nothing but Beatle Bailey and the wash boys.

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2007, 03:47:25 PM »

I think the lawyers in the crowd would be standing up yelling something like "Objection, foundation!"

At least anecdotally we have no compelling data to suggest that some of the shops have any "well qualified" techs.  Some of the places seem to have nothing but Beatle Bailey and the wash boys.

DON , IVE HEARD THIS NAME BEFORE BUT CANT REMEMBER, PLEASE REFRESH MY MEMORY. [smiley=drink.gif]
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2007, 10:23:05 PM »

DON , IVE HEARD THIS NAME BEFORE BUT CANT REMEMBER, PLEASE REFRESH MY MEMORY. [smiley=drink.gif]

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2007, 07:53:21 AM »

THX DON
GLAD HE'S NOT WRENCHING ON MY SCOOT. [smiley=soapbox.gif]

THX DON
GLAD HE'S NOT WRENCHING ON MY SCOOT. [smiley=soapbox.gif]
« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 07:54:17 AM by gettinold »
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2007, 08:28:34 AM »

If the owner of your HD dealership is a rider, ask for the tech that does his/her bike to work on yours.   I have been quite happy ever since.
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

Ghost Rider

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM # WHORE

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Kermit
    • CVO2: 2015 Victory Ness Magnum #31 of 299
    • CVO3: 2013 Can-Am Spyder RTS
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2007, 02:51:01 PM »

At least anecdotally we have no compelling data to suggest [highlight]that some of the shops have any "well qualified" techs[/highlight].  Some of the places seem to have nothing but Beatle Bailey and the wash boys.

Don,

Do you have any particular dearlers in mind????? [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2007, 03:23:49 PM »

Don,

Do you have any particular dearlers in mind????? [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

[smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] ;D ;D :o ;D ;D  [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 25 queries.