Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dealer Service  (Read 3417 times)

HarleyJeffOregon

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OR

• CVO1: 2004 Orange Pearl/Jet Black electra glide.
    • CVO2: 2010 Ultra Classsic Scarlet red pearl/Dark Slate
    • CVO3: 2017 Ultra Limited Black Garnet/ Electric Red Pearl
Dealer Service
« on: August 19, 2015, 04:05:39 PM »

So, my bike has 85,000 miles on it. 2010 cvo ultra. At 70,000 miles the lifters went bad. Under my ESP the dealer put adjustable pushrods in my bike. Not what came with it. At about 80,000 miles I started getting a noise like a rattle. I asked the dealer to check those pushrods and they told me it would cost $100. What the heck. That bike should not even have to have those checked. He told me I must not be riding the bike right. REALLY..... What kind of customer service is at our dealers these days. I guess don't worry about it and ride it like its on the drag strip. The motor company can pay for it if slaps my cams to death. So tired of the dealers STUPID answers. :soapbox:

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
Re: Dealer Service
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 05:29:52 PM »

They all do that!
I had similar problems with poor customer service just to the North of you.
Last month the parts guy tried to do the " bait and switch" thing with me.
I guess they all try the " upsell" to generate more $$$
I've not had good experiences in OR.
JMHO of course. :soapbox:
HOGMIKE

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 09:33:45 PM »

The motor company won't pay for squat. You have to many miles for HD warranty, ESP is not part of Harley warranty. But I agree with dealer on this one, they would not get paid for checking a set of pushrods due to owner asking. You would be responsible for check-out/diagnostics and then if problem existed a ESP claim could be filed, same with most repairs.

HarleyJeffOregon

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OR

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 10:30:07 PM »

The motor company won't pay for squat. You have to many miles for HD warranty, ESP is not part of Harley warranty. But I agree with dealer on this one, they would not get paid for checking a set of pushrods due to owner asking. You would be responsible for check-out/diagnostics and then if problem existed a ESP claim could be filed, same with most repairs.
When the problem first started the motor was squeaking so loud you could here it 500ft away. The dealer knew there was a problem but didn't know what it was. I said I will pay for the teardown. when you find the problem then my esp will take over. That's when they found my flat rollers and bearings missing.  I think that it should of been put back together with non adjustable pushrods at that point. Now I have to pay to have them checked because they came loose.... I don't think so. next time I will just ride it till it stops and save myself the headache.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 09:10:32 AM »

When the problem first started the motor was squeaking so loud you could here it 500ft away. The dealer knew there was a problem but didn't know what it was. I said I will pay for the teardown. when you find the problem then my esp will take over. That's when they found my flat rollers and bearings missing.  I think that it should of been put back together with non adjustable pushrods at that point. Now I have to pay to have them checked because they came loose.... I don't think so. next time I will just ride it till it stops and save myself the headache.
I agree with you.  The dealer should stand behind this.  I know some folks swear by adjustable pushrods but I've known several who have had problems like yours and I personally would not have them.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

HarleyJeffOregon

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OR

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 10:19:39 AM »

I agree with you.  The dealer should stand behind this.  I know some folks swear by adjustable pushrods but I've known several who have had problems like yours and I personally would not have them.
Thank you, I just thought they should do it since it really should of been put back together the way it came when it was new at that point. I don't care that they are adjustable. I know it cost way less to repair the bike the way they did it. I just want them to stay tight.

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 12:26:23 PM »

If they found bearings missing they should have done a complete tear down. Did they just cut the pushrods and replace them and the lifters?  If so you may have other problems
It's standard practice requiring customers to pay for a tear down if everything found is within manufacturers specs. If a point of failure is found, then ESP or warrantee takes over.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2015, 05:10:56 PM »

After 15K and they may have come loose????? Well normally if they are going to come loose it is pretty quick after start up. That is just my experience. I'm afariad you may have bigger problems on the horizon!!!!

Keep us posted.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2015, 07:30:30 PM »

So, my bike has 85,000 miles on it. 2010 cvo ultra. At 70,000 miles the lifters went bad. Under my ESP the dealer put adjustable pushrods in my bike. Not what came with it. At about 80,000 miles I started getting a noise like a rattle. I asked the dealer to check those pushrods and they told me it would cost $100. What the heck. That bike should not even have to have those checked. He told me I must not be riding the bike right. REALLY..... What kind of customer service is at our dealers these days. I guess don't worry about it and ride it like its on the drag strip. The motor company can pay for it if slaps my cams to death. So tired of the dealers STUPID answers. :soapbox:

I'll just speculate a bit...  The reason they put adjustable pushrods in your motor during the original repair was to avoid taking the top end apart and to save themselves some labor at your expense.  Which (of course, only speculating) probably also means they didn't do a very thorough job with the bottom end.  If you had the type destruction described, you quite likely had lots of shrapnel go thru your motor.  Which can only be adequately cleaned by much disassembly.  Odd are, even the bottoms of your pistons have damage.  Which means (of course, still speculating) that your current issue is not adjustable pushrods that have come loose.  I suspect you're going to find you have bigger problems than loose pushrods.  And the root cause of your current problem quite likely lies with shortcuts taken in the original repair...  Just speculating...    :)
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

SOCAL296

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Limited Silver and Maroon
    • CVO2: 2019 CVO Limited Magnetic Gry M8 117
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2015, 10:26:15 PM »

playing Devils Advocate here. This story does no make sense. No Reputable dealer is going to put a band-aide on a bigger problem. Yes the dealer can charge you Diag time. But why in the world would you let them put adjustable pushrods in. Did the check and replace the Lifters? What did the cam surface look like? ESP pays these dealers well. There has got to be more to this story
DR

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2015, 08:39:07 AM »

Many good posts and points made so far.  Number one, call the ESP company and complain to them, since this dealership seems incompetent at best.  It sounds like nothing was handled properly on the first "repair", including using non-standard pushrods.  And if all they did was cut out the pushrods and replace the lifters, with the kind of failure you had they probably missed a lot of other damage.  It would be extremely rare to not have other damage when a lifter roller actually fails.  At the very least the cams would be shot, and the bits and pieces of broken parts would have usually done damage elsewhere.  Check the repair order and see what they actually did, or at least what they claim they did.

If they installed stock "C" lifters, your noise isn't necessarily due to loose pushrods btw.  Those lifters are a problem in a lot of engines, and definitely in a 110.  Many failed at 10k miles in stock 110's, and the failure rate and warranty costs got high enough to cause Harley to change to a different lifter for the 110's back in 2013.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 25 queries.