Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: gaskets  (Read 1413 times)

snowrider13

• Full CVO Member
gaskets
« on: April 09, 2015, 07:20:51 AM »

An other post got my attention on this. Any secret to installing the mesh type exhaust gaskets with out crushing them by mistake? I use the tapered type.

mark

Re: gaskets
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 12:30:50 PM »

I've used a pencil eraser to work the gasket into the opening.  I've read some posts where people put lube on the gasket to ease it into place.

SmokeyJoe

• 2012 RGC CVO
  • Elite CVO Member
    • MS

• CVO1: 2012 Road Glide
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 02:04:51 PM »

Freezing helps firm them up some.  Personally I bought a tool for it and have never had an issue since
FuelMotos exhaust and tuning, Ohlins Front/Rear

Ed Ramberger - One_Screamin_Eagle

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FLTRSEI
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 11:20:50 PM »

An other post got my attention on this. Any secret to installing the mesh type exhaust gaskets with out crushing them by mistake? I use the tapered type.

Work your way around the gasket getting the entire thing started.  If you seat one side too much, it cocks and distorts and won't want to go in.  If you force it, it will then start to delaminate/come apart and become loose mesh.

Once the entire thing is started, apply finger pressure moving around the gasket. It will walk in. Be careful not to get poked by the gasket material.  Some people use a socket that is about the same size as the exhaust port to seat it fully but I have always just pushed them in with no problems. 
FLTRSEI -Delphi Conversion, 103", 251 cams, Heavy Breather & a couple other little tweaks

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 120r motor Black Diamond/Crimson Tag Graphics
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 11:43:41 PM »

I use Jims gasket installer tool 788. It works great and a perfect install with no damage to the gasket every time.

Schnobel

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 aka The Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 12:33:27 AM »

Their a pain in the a$$ to install in my opinion. Can't say if it's easier with the afformentioned tool but I suspect it is. Wrecked one on my first attempt. Found if I used both hands so I could apply light pressure on all sides to get it started, got them in but it was the hardest part about changing out the exhaust system fo sure.

snowrider13

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 07:44:22 PM »

thanks folks

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 21 queries.