Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Garmin activates headset microphone  (Read 2448 times)

griphen02

Garmin activates headset microphone
« on: June 14, 2015, 08:00:53 PM »

I have a 2012 CVO ULTRA and the GPS opens the microphone in my headset when it gives directions? I have tried 4 different harley headsets and it still does it. I even turn off the CB and the intercom and it still does it.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Eddy

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
Re: Garmin activates headset microphone
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 09:21:48 PM »

Is it the microphone that it is trying to operate or is it just trying to activate the headset speakers?
If it's the speakers and you're listening to music with the headset the Navigation Interface Module will interrupt the output source of the head unit to give you the spoken directions from the Garmin. I'm not sure how the Garmin will affect the intercom or CB functions because I don't usually use them - actually we don't usually use the headsets at all - anyway try going into the Garmin's' settings and muting the sound output then it will not interrupt the head unit because it will no longer send out an audio signal.
 I keep the Garmin muted on my 11.5 and just glance at the screen and make a mental note of the distance to and direction of the next turn and the road name/route number.
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

griphen02

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 11:32:00 PM »

Its not trying , it is activating the microphone on the headset which it should not. By design the garmin gives directions through the headset and mutes everything else while it is doing so. Mine is turning on the microphone just like if I was pressing the transmit button on the left hand grip. I can hear outside noises in the headset i.e. exhaust, wind and engine. It should not be doing this and the dealer doesn't have a clue.

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 08:28:13 AM »

OK here I go again. There are plenty of posts about this problem on line but I will answer it again.

First thing to cover is the Navigation Interface Module (NIM). The CVO's come with it factory installed. The NIM is what is responsible for the interruption of the radio and allowing you to hear a turn prompt when one is available from the GPS. The NIM will then return the radio back to it's original mode after the turn prompt. The NIM does not do any thing else (at least it's not supposed to). At times the NIM will malfunction and do a few weird things, one of them is activating the microphone during a turn prompt. The other is that it will activate even though there is no turn prompt available, when it does this it will lock up the radio and you will have to turn the bike off and then back on to reset it.

Most Harley mech's have no idea of the proper operation of the NIM so don't blame them for not being able to troubleshoot the problems.

The NIM should not activate your microphone for any reason at any time, it is not designed to do this. Especially during a turn prompt as this defeats the purpose of having the NIM in the first place. Remember the NIM is designed to deactivate other functions of the radio so that you can hear the turn prompt. If the intercom is activated (which is what is happening) then the volume of all other radio modes is reduced so that you can hear the other person (intercom). Since the intercom is being activated the volume of the turn prompt is reduced, and you hear mostly wind noise from the microphone and you end up missing the turn prompt.

When the NIM starts doing this it is on it's way out, it's just a matter of time.

Convincing the tech to replace it under warranty (if it's still covered) is at times difficult. As I said tech's are not trained in the electronics on these bikes, it's difficult to even find someone at the Harley Mother Ship that does.

You can get a bad NIM which just came out of the BOX. I had one customer whom I helped with this issue by speaking with his dealer and they ended up replacing the NIM two times because the first brand new one did the same thing right out of the box.

Jim@hdbomm.com

In short your NIM is bad and needs to be replaced.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 08:32:32 AM by bissjim »
Ride It Like You Are Retired

griphen02

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 10:54:46 AM »

Jim,
Thanks I searched for other posts and did not find anything before I posted. Guess I just had the terminology wrong. Just to be clear MY GPS is the Garmin 660 that comes with the CVO not the internal one that the radio uses.

Does the NIM still apply to the Garmin?

Eddy

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 12:07:18 PM »

Yes, the CVO ' s had the NIM is installed from the factory as Jim stated.
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2015, 03:26:04 PM »

Yes the NIM only applies to the Harley branded Garmin Zumo 660 and 665. The Harley branded GPS is called the Road Tech.

Jim@HDBomm

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2015, 03:31:07 PM »

Jim,
Thanks I searched for other posts and did not find anything before I posted. Guess I just had the terminology wrong. Just to be clear MY GPS is the Garmin 660 that comes with the CVO not the internal one that the radio uses.

Does the NIM still apply to the Garmin?

Eddy

Do you mean the Road Tech Zumo 660 or the Garmin Zumo 660

The Garmin Zumo 660 does NOT work with the NIM.

:oops: :nixweiss:
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2015, 07:13:29 PM »

Do you have a Road Tech 660 or 665? These are the only units the NIM will work on, it will not work with the Garmin 660 or 665.
They are the same visually but only the HD version will work the NIM.

griphen02

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2015, 10:36:57 PM »

I believe it is the road tech since it came with the bike brand new in 2012. Bike is a FLHTCUSE7.

92493-11 CVO 2011 GPS NA Kit

griphen02

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2015, 09:14:06 PM »

Ok the NIM  was replace twice and still no change with the Mic coming on during turn prompts. Any other ideas? I checked NIM harness for chaffing and could not find any wires that are chaffed through. This is so frustrating. At one point the tech tried to say my custom dynamics LED turn signals was causing the problem? Talk about grasping at straws......

Help!

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2015, 07:56:26 AM »

Make sure that you have the speaker select switch rolled all the way back. The light on the switch should be ON.

If you switch is set to the correct position and your still activating the microphone then the NIM is bad. Had a customer that had his replaced 3 times before it solved the problem. Remove the NIM from the circuit and the problem will go away.

Jim@hdbomm.com

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 21 queries.