Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Glass Beads versus Wheel Weights  (Read 5949 times)

GregMan

• ON

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
    • CVO2: 2006 FLSTFSE2
Glass Beads versus Wheel Weights
« on: June 08, 2015, 09:33:55 AM »

Hey All,

I have a FLHRSE4 and FLSTFSE2.  Being CVO's they have nice rims which I hate to put weights on directly.  I heard about glass beads being used instead of wheel weights.  They get poured into the tire.  Apparent benefits are that they will shift according to changes in the tire... I guess when one balances a tire, the balance can change as the tire ages, heats up, cools down etc.....

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks and cheers,

mark

Re: Glass Beads versus Wheel Weights
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 11:13:42 AM »

Some swear by them, others think it's voodoo.  A few months ago I researched "balancing beads" on-line and couldn't find an independent analysis of their performance.  Of course there was info, videos, etc, from the manufacturers, but not anything from a third party.

GregMan

• ON

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
    • CVO2: 2006 FLSTFSE2
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 11:14:59 AM »

Thanks again Mark,  cheers,

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 11:49:49 AM »

Hey All,

I have a FLHRSE4 and FLSTFSE2.  Being CVO's they have nice rims which I hate to put weights on directly.  I heard about glass beads being used instead of wheel weights.  They get poured into the tire.  Apparent benefits are that they will shift according to changes in the tire... I guess when one balances a tire, the balance can change as the tire ages, heats up, cools down etc.....

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks and cheers,

If you have a wheel and tire combination that really doesn't need much if any balancing, the beads might be fine.  If you have a wheel and tire combination that is more typical and is significantly out of balance, the beads aren't going to do the trick.  Read deep into the FAQ's on the Dyna Bead website and even they admit this.

If you want to minimize appearance issues, take the time to index the tires to the rims so that the amount of weight required is minimized.  That will take more effort than just lining up the dot on the tires with the valve stem.  Then buy some of the fancy chrome stick-on weights.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Flatvalley

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • ND

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 03:45:17 PM »

I am new to Harley Davidson but have had dynabeads in my wheels both on my glowing and my  VTX.  My experience on both bikes with the beads leads me to say I am a very satisfied customer.  My experience with three pairs of tires on the glowing and two pairs on the VTX delivered smooth as glass performance as far as balancing is concerned.  No additional weights on the wheels.  As soon as I need a new pair of tires on the Ultra, I will use the beads rather than wheel weights.  At this point I am just reporting my experience, One ounce in the front tire, two ounces in the rear.  Only negative is on a couple occasions, only on the glowing, when checking air pressure in the front tire, a bead got stuck in the valve and I had to add compressed air in order to blow the bead out of the valve.  Never has happened on the rear tire on the glowing and never on the VTX. 
2014 Ultra limited CVO
2005 GL1800
2003 VTX1800S

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 05:41:45 PM »

If you want to minimize appearance issues, take the time to index the tires to the rims so that the amount of weight required is minimized.  That will take more effort than just lining up the dot on the tires with the valve stem.  Then buy some of the fancy chrome stick-on weights.

Jerry

X2.  Balance the wheel before mounting the tire to determine the true heavy spot then line the dot on the tire with that spot.  You will be real close.  I mount and balance my own tires and have never used more than a 1/2 oz weight to balance, many times no weights at all.
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

gpopvet

• Elite CVO Member
  • 74 and still riding hard.
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Trike
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2015, 05:52:43 PM »

I just put new tires and. Wheels on the skunk and used the beads and have to say no vibrations at any speed.
2021 CVO Trike

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2015, 05:54:56 PM »

They have always worked for me (about 6 years)
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2015, 05:55:26 PM »

What is a Glowing? & I totally agree with Jerry, not my cup of tea but I do take the time to try and align tire on rim and have more than once broke a tire back down and re-aligned it when it was taking to much weight. To each his own.

wachuko

• Dr. Pending Projects
  • Elite CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2014 Road King CVO in Tribal Orange and Galatic Black - Gone
    • CVO2: 2012 Road Glide Custom CVO in Candy Cobalt-Twilight Blue - Gone
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2015, 06:12:18 PM »

I am using them on the wheels that I am getting for the Sportster... but the recommendation of moving the tire around is great  :2vrolijk_21: 

Since working on the bike is therapy for me, what is a few more minutes of work?  It will mean that I need to get an inexpensive balancing stand...

I already have these tools...

Ride Safe!
Wachuko

2016 Softail Slim S
2014 Road King CVO in Tribal Orange and Galatic Black with Aztec Shadow graphics. Gone!

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2015, 07:11:54 PM »

Look into a product called Ride-on. http://www.ride-on.com/motorcycle-formula-mot.html

The guys running the big wheel/tire combos seem to like this stuff.
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2015, 11:45:44 PM »

What is a Glowing? & I totally agree with Jerry, not my cup of tea but I do take the time to try and align tire on rim and have more than once broke a tire back down and re-aligned it when it was taking to much weight. To each his own.

A misspelled Goldwing :)
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

CVO Couple

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • SC

• CVO1: 2015 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2008 FXSTC Anniversary
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2015, 06:27:51 PM »

I saw them on a ad on TV. I didn't think they would work. What kind of tire life are you guys getting with using them?

VRODDAVE

• Senior CVO Member
  • Semper fi 73-77

• CVO1: 2018 FLHTKSE ANV
    • CVO2: 2004 FLHTCSE - Crashed 7/31/2015. May she rest in pease
    • CVO3: 2003 VROD - sold
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2015, 07:18:11 PM »

Just thought I would throw this out there on the table as an option ..  Centramatic Wheel Balancers

I have been running these for about five years ... smooth as silk ride ...    I found mine on ebay for a good price.  liked them so much that I bought two sets incase they ever wear out ...   ;D

They bolt on behind the brake rotors ...  They are actually polished stainless steel backing plates ...

this link just shows a photo of them .. not recommending you buy there ...  http://airmontdistributing.com/pro/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=116&Itemid=110

here is a youtube video on how they work 

« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 06:12:05 AM by VRODDAVE »
2018 FLHTKSE ANV
Dominator prewired meathooks 10" (Nice, but shoulda got the 12's)
Dynojet Power Vision
GTS Radio upgrade
AG ATX-30-HD lithium battery
CoolFlow fan
Alloyboltz 12 point G8
INNOVV K2 X 2 DVR 4 Camera
AIM Clutch Slave

Page created in 0.304 seconds with 25 queries.