Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Front to rear wheel offset  (Read 4041 times)

NorCalRider

• Junior CVO Member
  • been ridin since i was 10 years old...
Front to rear wheel offset
« on: March 12, 2015, 02:02:42 AM »

Ok, trying to do a drivetrain alignment on my 2007 SERK using the option "B" per the MoCo service manual. All swing arm and front mount are new. Using 2  8ft floresent tubes, I have the front link adjusted and both front and rear wheels "seem" to be in alignment, but that being said, the front wheel is offset to the left about 3/8th of an inch. Is this normal or should I be looking at something else. I remember back when I had a softail that there was an offset of about 1/2" as I remember built into the bike. I can't find anything about offset for a FLHR though. Any help here is appreciated.
Thanks,
Chris  :nixweiss:
Better to have memories than to be a memory....just say'in.

efrbc1

• Senior CVO Member
Re: Front to rear wheel offset
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 09:54:36 AM »

First, check out www.glide-pro.com for an in depth method of alignment.  Did this on my '05 SEEG and it worked wonders.  Not aware of any "offset" on the FLHR - do you mean offset between the forks or offset from front to rear.

Second, it's interesting you bring this up.  A buddy of mine has an '07 Fatboy with an actual offset of the front wheel between the forks (see my earlier post in this category).  He is struggling with abnormal tire wear and is still looking for answers.

I thing the GlidePro procedure will help.

Chris
2003 Special Edition Firefighter Road King
2005 Cherry Screamin Eagle Electra Glide

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 11:39:32 AM »

I have been in the process of doing the Glide Pro alignment again.  I had the S&S 124 with their cases just installed in the bike and I'm having a heck of a time getting it the way it was with the Harley cases.  The bike is completely stripped, no exhaust or anything to stop the motor & tranny from moving freely.  Offset or not the tires have to run parallel with each other.  You could tell if you had an offset by putting down a line on your lift for reference and centering your tires once it is aligned to near perfect specs.  One thing that gets overlooked is checking the rotors for straightness if you are going to use the magnetic lasers.  Just make sure your swingarm bushing are in decent shape and that one side is not resting on the swingarm.  I have seen that on a few bikes when checking them out.  When I notice unusual tire wear on a parked bike I look them over closely and have often found the bushing resting or flat on the swingarm.  It takes time and can be a pain the butt but if you get it right it will handle quite well.  I'll be back at it today.

NorCalRider

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 02:46:08 AM »

Ok, just an update as to what I found... First of all I completely disassembled the front suspension and checked every piece. I found two things, first was the fact I noticed the left side of the handlebars looked lower than the right. So I checked and measured and found a sight bend in the upper triple clamp. Then I checked and found that one and only one of the fork tubes had a slight bend as well. Replaced all offending parts and lo and behold...everything lines up as it should. That will teach me not to check "Everything" before assembly. Live and learn....
Chris  :orange:

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 06:51:30 AM »

Chris I'm curious as to what caused that?

Jesse

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

NorCalRider

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 11:44:27 PM »

Jesse,
My bike was crashed when I bought it. It was hit on the side in the primary case and the frame was bent in the middle. The front end was swung over to the side(see my avitar) but it looked ok and came apart with no problems. I talked to a mechanic at harley and he said that if I didn't have to force anything apart, that in his experience, everything should be ok. Well it came apart easy enough and I eyeballed everything and it looked fine. So until I tried to align the front and rear wheels to each other I thought I was fine. Well I fought trying to align it correctly and had no luck. I thought I was doing something wrong, and finally realized that my only mistake was not checking every part of the front end, in pieces, and not assembled as I had done. Just another case of owner error and listening to an "Expert" instead of what my own experience told me. Better known as tring to get by on the cheap....LOL....so another lesson re-learned.
Chris  :2vrolijk_21:

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 09:44:10 PM »

I have seen this too in the springer softail. We changed the front wheel spacers and it actually drives and handles better.

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 25 queries.